“Average at best”

Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in Round Rock
Houston, Texas
“Average at best”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The reason we stayed at this hotel was because all of our usual places we stay at were booked full. So I had to pay a little extra for this hotel, but I was very optimistic because from the outside and the lobby I felt it was going to be a nice place. My first 5 minutes in there I became an unhappy person, we had gotten there about two hours from the official check in time because we had a wedding to get ready for. In all my adult life it has been extremely rare that I have not been able to check in early. Well the day we needed a few hours to get ready for a wedding we were turned away to go wait a few hours while we get the rooms cleaned. The hostess was somewhat rude about it, I walked in and asked to check in and she looked at the clock with a ugly look then back at me. She then informed me that check in isn't until 3 pm, I asked her ok so there aren't any rooms available? Well apparently everyone who checked out that morning waited until 12 pm to check out and so the cleaning staff had just started cleaning at 1pm. My response to that was said by my look at her, then she said she will call once the room became available. Well good thing there was a bar and grill in the same parking lot to go drink my self calm. So after about an hour and a half I decided to get sneaky, so I had my fiance call to see if they had any rooms available. Well what do you know a room was ready, so then I just stared at the clerk while she was checking me in. So the theme of this hotel was country from the 90's. That told me that this place has not been updated since it was first built, then all we were there for was a place to sleep not to have to stay in for a long period of time. The bathtub had a nice yellow water stain in it, which told me it doesn't get cleaned like it it's supposed to. Then I was able to hide that nasty water stain with the bathmat for the tub! I haven't seen one of those since the 80's! The bed was pretty stiff and the pillows were I'm sure at one time really nice. But good thing the a/c ran like a top so I was somewhat able to sleep. Another thing that got me excited about this hotel was the breakfast buffet they advertised on the website so the extra $30 a night wasn't so bad. Yeah talk about a continental breakfast, calling it a buffet is a joke. I wish I had other options on where to stay but I didn't, I will never stay at this location again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BenH989

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed only one night at this hotel, and won't stay there again. Everything about the place just seemed cheaply done, and the entire hotel smelled bad. Service was poor; the "continental" breakfast offered very few choices that were appealing at all. Front desk clerks were abrupt and not friendly. Very little value for an above average price. Don't go there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ron545
Audrey K, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Round Rock, responded to this review, 14 March 2014

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.
Turkey
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We were very impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of the whole staff, from reception through breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable, the lobby inviting, the breakfast selections much more than adequate. Our only disappointment is the lack of a back entrance that would eliminate the need to circle the service roads when coming off Hwy. 620. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Loveland, Ohio
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for two days after a trek from Ohio and it worked out rather nicely. As others have mentioned the front desk staff was very friendly and even offered to carry me outside if I had the urge to smoke in the room. I'm not a smoker so I didn't get to take part in the service. We had a truck with a trailer and although there was no truck parking there was plenty of room around the hotel to park. The room itself was fine, though since out room was near the end of the hall the wifi signal was a little patchy.

The hotel was right next to two nice restaurents (an ale house and mexican). We had them both and they were pretty good. The breakfast in the morning was also pretty good and had a decent selection for the price of the hotel. If you have dealings in round rock or north of Austin you really can't beat it for the price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Eureka
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We decided to stay here because we had business in Round Rock. The hotel was very nice as well as the staff. The front desk staff was top notch. We stayed in a king suite that had a hide a bed for the girls which was really small, even though they said it was a queen sofa. The room could stand some updating. We stayed 2 days, then ended up coming back because of 1 more day of business. This time we stayed in the king suite with the separate bedroom (yeah). Very nice. The ac in the room wasn't working right and the bed was hard. Room 315 by the way. The breakfast was really good with a lot of choices. If you need extra pillows good luck because they were always short on them.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deborah D
Chapala, Mexico
Reviewed 5 January 2014

As this hotel was close to family members living in Round Rock, we booked the hotel over the Christmas period and into New Year's...a total of about 11 days. My husband and I enjoyed our stay very much. Rooms were comfortable and clean and staff were very friendly. The buffet type breakfast in the morning was very appreciated...lots to chose from. The reception area with stair case going up in the center was decorated beautifully with a lighted Christmas vine. The dining tables all were decorated for Christmas also....a nice and homey touch! Would recommend this hotel very much.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My husband and I travel a lot and selected this hotel based on location of our needs. We needed a hotel that was in Round Rock near a family members home because we were in Texas for a funeral. I knew when I booked the room at this hotel that it was not a luxury hotel which was fine with me for what we needed it for. Here is my honest review of Country Inn & Suites. I hope it helps you in your future travel plans.

LOCATION: Location was absolutely perfect. Conviently located near highway, restaurants, stores, etc. 10-15 min drive to Round Rock Premium Outlet Mall which was really cool. Several restaurants within a really short walking distance.

HOTEL STAFF: Very friendly and courteous.

CLEANLINESS: Hotel was very clean, exterior was well maintained, lobby clean. Hotel did not have that overkill smell of air freshner that you sometimes experience with hotels.

ROOM: Had a standard room with a king bed overlooking the parking lot. Room was very clean and smelled fresh and clean, plenty of towels, microwave and small fridge in room. Room had no safe(which was very unusual) but we made do. Nice size bathroom with small complimentary shampoo, conditioner, soaps and lotion. Room had a coffee maker with complimentary coffees/teas. Here is where there is need for improvement regarding the room: BED: Too low to the floor(for me anyway), Country Inn and Suites should invest in some real pillows because the ones on the bed were so thin you had to roll them under your head to get any support, they really were horrible. My suggeston is to bring your own or ask the front desk for a few more pillows at check in. IRON: Need to be upgraded. I had the same issue with 2 different irons in my room which is that they started leaking water and then even though they were plugged in after 5 minutes of ironing it would no longer be hot. I called to the front desk and ask for a replacement iron which was delivered to my room within minutes of my call.

FOOD: Complimentary cookies were very good. Hot Complimentary Breakfast was just okay! Waffles were delicious, eggs, potatoes and breakfast meats were just ok...microwaved products but not horrible once you added a little salt/pepper. Other items included yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, assorted teas/cold beverages and coffee(which was very good for a hotel). Overall the complimentary breakfast is edible and you wont be hungry. If you are looking for an IHOP or Dennys style breakfast taste then you will be dissappointed.

WIFI: We were pleased upon check in to be given a wifi code to use while in the hotel. That was a nice touch.
Overall the hotel was super clean, there was plenty of parking, it was nice and quiet...the hotel just needs to make a few minor updates. I hope this review helps and please do not hesitate to ask me any questions, I will more than happy to answer them.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family