“Perfect place to stay”

Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Round Rock
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Perfect place to stay”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We rolled into town for an overnight stay before flying home and found that we could check in without a reservation and get the on line rate (trip advisor and wyndham web site).

Room was a suite - very nice and roomy with microwave, fridge and shower (not tub).
We got a room on the fist floor, so it was easy to check in.

Nice breakfast the next day - waffles, cereals, muffins, juice, milk, coffee, yogurt, fruit

New property of Tollway 45 at IH35 - south side of Round Rock; really convenient to visit my son and his family

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Pablo C, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Round Rock, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Thank you for your recommendation and review of the Microtel Round Rock. We are happy to hear that your found our suite to be nice and roomy. It is always a pleasure to know that the various amenities in the room are appreciated. We are glad as well to hear that our location is close to your family and we hope that you will be visiting again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brenham, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip to Round Rock. While accessing the hotel is a little difficult, my overall experience was excellent. The styling of the hotel reminds me of European hotels - streamlined, clean lines, and efficient. It was very comfortable and clean, and the staff were friendly, though busy. The room was well equipped for business travel with good internet connection and conveniently located plugs. I liked it so well I'm staying at the Microtel during an upcoming trip to New Braunfels, Texas. (I'll rate it after my trip.)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and continued loyalty to the Microtel brand! We are pleased to learn that we were able to impress you with our modern, clean and well equipped rooms. We hope you'll have a chance to visit us again soon.
Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Very nice staff. Good location & reasonable price. But...oh, there are so many "buts." There's no way to set the air conditioner to cool while keeping the fan going non-stop. It's an important feature to have - because without it, on a hot night, the fan will cycle on and off along with the compressor all night long. I don't care about the compressor, but I need the fan going non-stop for comfort and to keep the starting/stopping sounds from waking me up. We even had the desk guy come up and try to override it, but he had no luck. Why can't hotels fix this very simple problem, which I encounter way too often?

Since there was a ceiling fan over the fold-out bed (kudos on the ceiling fan - a rare find), I chose to sleep there. At least I'd have air moving over me throughout the night, right? Too bad the bed was designed to hurt sleepers as much as possible. I cannot believe that in 2014, bed manufacturers haven't been able to design a fold-out bed that doesn't feel like a torture device. I wound up sleeping for maybe 2 hours that night - a horrible experience.

Yes, the walls are thin and noisy. (They can make them much quieter using acoustic drywall, but that would cost an extra $200 or so per room, so why bother?) The shower has a soap dish that's sharp and metallic - if you slip and hit that with your head, you're going to the E.R. (Who the heck puts sharp objects in a shower? Hello?) And the bathroom vent cover was filthy (see my photo). The maids look at that vent cover every day and say "not my job." It would take 30 seconds to pop the cover off and run it under the faucet, but hey, who sweats the small stuff?

Oh, and the TV had the aspect ratio set incorrectly, and guests can't override it. So I had to watch shows with the edges of the image cut off. Nice attention to detail, Microtel.

In the morning, I wanted to talk to the guy at the desk about my crummy stay and demand a refund. But I was so mad I figured I would wind up blowing my stack and getting sent to the Round Rock jail. So my review will have to suffice. I'll end with this - later in the day after checking out, a friend asked me how my stay had gone. I told him I had spent the night in Microhell.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
It is disappointing to hear that your stay with us was not what your were expecting and we deeply regret any inconveniences you experienced. Your comments regarding our housekeeping staff have been addressed. I sincerely wish you had brought these matters to my attention prior to departing as I would have to done everything possible to make things right for you. We hope you'll have another opportunity to visit us again so we can renew your trust in us.