“Go for the weekday enchilada special in the evenings”
Review of Garcia's Cafe

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Pflugerville, Texas
“Go for the weekday enchilada special in the evenings”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We have eaten here several times and have loved everything we have ordered. I noticed that a previous reviewer was upset at being told that a party of 2 couldn't use the restaurant.com certificate but I'll tell you when we first went in the spring we had a party of 3 and one of those certificates and when we saw the notice it was just that there had to be more than 2 in the party. The reason for this was simple...it is because their food is so inexpensive. Since the coupon did not cover alcohol and it was only for dine in, there would have been no way for 2 people to realistically reach the $35 minimum without just wasting food....seriously, it is that inexpensive. There were 3 of us and we ordered 2 appetizers, 3 entrees, and 3 beverages (soda, tea) and barely hit the minimum.

We went back once more with a certificate and a larger party, and that was the last time we used the certificate. In fact, I'm not sure that they are even participating with them anymore since I haven't seen them lately. Regardless, you can still get a great deal. Just go M-Th evenings and they have all-you-can-eat enchiladas for $7. You can make any combination of filling (chicken, meat, or cheese) with any of their sauces (ranchero, chili con carne, suiza, chipotle, queso, or green....I think I remembered them all). Just remember that on your subsequent enchilada orders you just get the enchiladas only, no more rice and beans. My family has decided that the chicken with suiza sauce is the absolute best! I also love the chipotle with chicken but it is *very* spicy (be prepared since the first bites do not seem that hot but it builds).

As far as the decor and atmosphere is concerned, don't go if that stuff is really important to you since this is the typical hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place. It is a converted house, with vinyl dining chairs, a TV playing Wheel of Fortune, and a curtain covering the door to the kitchen. The margaritas are very inexpensive and like something your friends might make you at home...not like a serious drinking place.

If you want a hip drink and cool atmosphere then this is probably not the place to go. Don't get me wrong, I love Chuy's (which would fit that bill) but sometimes we want real Mexican food. If you want some seriously authentic and delicious Mexican food, tasty hot sauce and chips, a check that is very low budget, and you don't particularly care that the dining table looks like the one your Grandma used to have, then this is just the place for you :).

• Visited August 2011

Cedar Park, Texas
“Great Family Run Resturaunt”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I love this place! It is in a small house, but if you truly want to eat good Tex-Mex this is the place to go. I love the family atmosphere, they are always so nice. I am not sure why it has ever gotten a bad review.

• Visited June 2011
Austin, Texas
“BAD! Won't honor contract.”
Reviewed 4 February 2011

We had bought and paid for a Restaurant.com coupon for $25 off at Garcia’s and my wife and I went there to try it. The building is a shack. We walked through 30 feet of mud to get to the front door.

Once inside, we saw a sign saying that they would not honor our coupon unless we were a party of four! The cashier confirmed it.

There is nothing about that in the coupon language. When I called them, the representative of Restaurant.com said there was no such requirement in the arrangement that Garcia’s had made with them.

If the mangers of Garcia’s are so uninterested in their customers and in their own public image that they will not honor a legal contract that they arranged, I want nothing to do with them.

• Visited February 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not Good Not Good Not Good”
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I hate reading reviews that are just ripping a place when 80% of the people enjoy the place. Normally, when I try that sort of restaurant, I usually side with the 80% and think those one or two reviewers were nitpicking. So, I want to be even handed in every facet here, because it is rare for me to write a bad review, especially with Mexican as it is pretty easy to satiate me with Mexican food.

I arrived and wanted to eat on the patio. The weather was gorgeous. It was 6:00 p.m. They weren't seating on the patio (???) but agreed to wait on me anyway. I was the only table out there. First, let me say, their patio has the potential to be absolutely phenomenal. A gorgeous large tree sprouts right through the center and it really is nice. But here's the thing: it's dirty, only 6 tables cover a patio that could easily hold 12-15 tables, and a row of bar stools (that have been left out in the rain many times) lines one wall where a counter used to be, but is no longer. Only the bar stools remain and they're too dirty to sit on. They should just send them to the garbage. That patio is a gold mine and with just a little bit of money and emphasis on the patio, and they could be packed.

So, i ordered a cheese enchilada and a house margarita on the rocks to begin. The cheese enchilada was very average in flavor and covered in oil. It wasn't bad, but it didn't rank as good either. The margarita was easily the worst i've had in 15 years. The mix was mostly water and sugar. Very very cheap tasting. The lime was wholly from the lime flavoring in the corn syrup -- no pure lime in any of it. It was disastrous.

When the waitress came to get my dinner order, i opted for combo fajitas. They came in like 5 minutes! i couldn't believe they came that fast! THEN, i realized HOW they came that fast: the fajita chicken had been cooked hours earlier and had been reheated on the grill and placed on the sizzling fajita pan. It was the least fresh fajita I've ever eaten. i caught myself thinking, 'i wish i was eating a fajita at Applebee's right now'. That's not good, people. The steak didn't taste pre-cooked, but the flavor was just OK. i pushed all the chicken away and only ate the beef. The refried beans were from a can, with salt and lard added. Yes, manteca, vegetarians. Beware. The rice was average. I ordered a top shelf margarita, hoping that more alcohol would make the margarita taste better, but the grand marnier and Cuervo 1800 only marginally helped. The mix is that dog gone bad.

The server was very friendly and efficient. When she saw my chicken not eaten, she asked if I liked it. I told her I couldn't eat it because it had been cooked hours ago and then reheated. It wasn't fresh and it was very rubbery and dry. She said she was sorry and would pass along my comments to a manager. I asked her for the check.

A manager or co-worker arrived with the check quickly and simply thanked me for coming! hahaha

So, what was good? The chips and salsa were good. Nice heat to the salsa. The guacamole was good. The prices were good. i ordered a side of guac, a cheese enchilada ala carte, combo fajitas, one regular margarita and one top shelf margarita for $20 including tax.

Would I ever come back? If i wanted to just enjoy the patio with a small group of friends and wanted to just eat chips with salsa and guac and wash down with Mexican beer: yes. Anything else: no.

Longhorn Country
“Could be soooo much more!!!!”
Reviewed 7 November 2008

OK, the food was good, but the refried beans were burnt. The place is cute and I like the location, but why not fix it up a bit? There might be hard wood floors under the worn carpet. Why not refinish them. Paint and remove the old wallpaper. I would have fixed up this location before I ever opened up a new one in Georgetown. That curtain in front of the kitchen area has GOT to go. This first location has a lot of potential to be REAL cute. It needs fixing up though. The enchilada plate could have offered a few tortillas, flour or corn, some shredded tomatoes and lettice and a single dollup of quac would have made it perfect!!!! Than it would have been worth $6.75 on the lunch menu.