“Not Good Not Good Not Good”
Review of Garcia's Cafe

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Garcia's Cafe
Ranked #270 of 366 Restaurants in Round Rock
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I hate reading reviews that are just ripping a place when 80% of the people enjoy the place. Normally, when I try that sort of restaurant, I usually side with the 80% and think those one or two reviewers were nitpicking. So, I want to be even handed in every facet here, because it is rare for me to write a bad review, especially with Mexican as it is pretty easy to satiate me with Mexican food.

I arrived and wanted to eat on the patio. The weather was gorgeous. It was 6:00 p.m. They weren't seating on the patio (???) but agreed to wait on me anyway. I was the only table out there. First, let me say, their patio has the potential to be absolutely phenomenal. A gorgeous large tree sprouts right through the center and it really is nice. But here's the thing: it's dirty, only 6 tables cover a patio that could easily hold 12-15 tables, and a row of bar stools (that have been left out in the rain many times) lines one wall where a counter used to be, but is no longer. Only the bar stools remain and they're too dirty to sit on. They should just send them to the garbage. That patio is a gold mine and with just a little bit of money and emphasis on the patio, and they could be packed.

So, i ordered a cheese enchilada and a house margarita on the rocks to begin. The cheese enchilada was very average in flavor and covered in oil. It wasn't bad, but it didn't rank as good either. The margarita was easily the worst i've had in 15 years. The mix was mostly water and sugar. Very very cheap tasting. The lime was wholly from the lime flavoring in the corn syrup -- no pure lime in any of it. It was disastrous.

When the waitress came to get my dinner order, i opted for combo fajitas. They came in like 5 minutes! i couldn't believe they came that fast! THEN, i realized HOW they came that fast: the fajita chicken had been cooked hours earlier and had been reheated on the grill and placed on the sizzling fajita pan. It was the least fresh fajita I've ever eaten. i caught myself thinking, 'i wish i was eating a fajita at Applebee's right now'. That's not good, people. The steak didn't taste pre-cooked, but the flavor was just OK. i pushed all the chicken away and only ate the beef. The refried beans were from a can, with salt and lard added. Yes, manteca, vegetarians. Beware. The rice was average. I ordered a top shelf margarita, hoping that more alcohol would make the margarita taste better, but the grand marnier and Cuervo 1800 only marginally helped. The mix is that dog gone bad.

The server was very friendly and efficient. When she saw my chicken not eaten, she asked if I liked it. I told her I couldn't eat it because it had been cooked hours ago and then reheated. It wasn't fresh and it was very rubbery and dry. She said she was sorry and would pass along my comments to a manager. I asked her for the check.

A manager or co-worker arrived with the check quickly and simply thanked me for coming! hahaha

So, what was good? The chips and salsa were good. Nice heat to the salsa. The guacamole was good. The prices were good. i ordered a side of guac, a cheese enchilada ala carte, combo fajitas, one regular margarita and one top shelf margarita for $20 including tax.

Would I ever come back? If i wanted to just enjoy the patio with a small group of friends and wanted to just eat chips with salsa and guac and wash down with Mexican beer: yes. Anything else: no.

Reviewed 7 November 2008

OK, the food was good, but the refried beans were burnt. The place is cute and I like the location, but why not fix it up a bit? There might be hard wood floors under the worn carpet. Why not refinish them. Paint and remove the old wallpaper. I would have fixed up this location before I ever opened up a new one in Georgetown. That curtain in front of the kitchen area has GOT to go. This first location has a lot of potential to be REAL cute. It needs fixing up though. The enchilada plate could have offered a few tortillas, flour or corn, some shredded tomatoes and lettice and a single dollup of quac would have made it perfect!!!! Than it would have been worth $6.75 on the lunch menu.

A TripAdvisor Member
Round Rock, TX
Reviewed 28 August 2004

Best Tex-Mex in Round Rock. This family run restaurant has a good variety of food, great deals on drinks during happy hour and an outdoor patio. We have been going regularly for years. They will be opening a location in Georgetown on Williams Dr. later this year.