“620 Cafe_ best southern style breakfast in town”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Austin, Texas
“620 Cafe_ best southern style breakfast in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

The 620 Cafe has been in Round Rock for a while. It has the best southern style breakfast in town. The "chicken fried bacon" is to die for. It is the kind of thing that tastes amazingly good but you know you should not each much of it.
Their special breads are home-made, fresh and tasty. It is a great place for brunch.
I am not a fan of their sandwiches so I do not recommend it for just lunch. I like to be seated on the back because you can see brushy creek so it is relaxing. Their service at the door is always good, the servers service vary per person. You can find a really good server or one that is terrible.

• Visited September 2012

Saint Louis, Missouri
“I enjoyed my lunch there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

I had one of the quiche that was mentioned in an earlier review. They did have several varieties and I enjoyed mine very much, along with my side dish. It was a generous portion for lunch without being extreme, was delivered fairly quickly without being rushed, and was tasty and cooked to just the right consistency. The service was cheerful and the atmosphere one proclaimed by several tables of conversation that showed the enjoyment of everyone there. It was a constant background noise of chatty diners, but one that was not annoying or deafening.

Despite the popularity of the place, I got a great parking space, was seated quickly, and didn't have to fight any serious traffic in the Tuesday lunch hour. I would recommend the place. It has a good lunch time value, good food (that I could only tell from my own dish and the seeming contentment of the many other diners around me). Best of all, it's a local place and not a drab, boring chain.

The one negative I would give you is on the chocolate pie. It wasn't tasteless or bland, I can give you that. Maybe you would enjoy it, but I got the sense that I was just causing harm to my body without reaping any great reward in taste.

I wouldn't just rave on the place, but I would certainly be happy to go back.

• Visited June 2011
Round Rock, Texas
“Gives southern style cooking a bad name”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

Cute little place right off the road. Seated promptly. Service was very friendly. Ordered chips and queso app. It was straight-from-the-can queso. Awful. Chips were obviously store brand corn chips. Not what I want to pay for in a restaurant. I had the chicken fried steak -- HORRIBLE and tasteless. Really a let down in the area of home cookin'. Cream gravy tasted like a premix. Cinammon apples tasted like they were dumped straight from the can too. My husband got the big fish 'special' displayed on the board. He said the flavor was good but overcooked --- only got one tiny piece of fish smaller than the palm of my hand. Will NEVER eat there again for lunch or dinner.

Round Rock, TX
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2009

Worst breakfast I've ever had in 10 years in Austin. No idea what this is rated high.

Texas
“620 Cafe & Bakery was a great find for Lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

Just west of I-35 on Hwy 620 (aka Round Rock Ave.) we stumbled on this nice cafe and bakery this weekend while visiting Austin. Their website doesn't list the lunch menu we saw on Sunday. http://www.620cafeandbakery.com/ I think it's known for breakfast, but we had a wonderful Sunday lunch.

If you like quiche, they had 5 different choices! I chose the chicken and mushroom, which was cheesy with lots of nice chunks of chicken breast and just enough mushrooms. (other quiches choices: crab, veggie, ham, or brocolli) I had brocolli/cheese casserole as my side. My hubby had CFC, mashed potatoes with gravy and a cup of the yummy soup of the day. . . Chicken Tortilla. The CFC was nicely battered two halves of the chicken breast. Dad had the Hamburger Steak smothered in grilled onions and brown gravy with green beans & brocolli/cheese casserole and mom had the chicken salad (with mayo, spices, & walnuts) sandwich on a flaky croissant with a cup of chicken tortilla soup. Mom just loved the chicken tortilla soup, because it was full of chicken, veggies, cheese, totilla strips and not too much heat! Just know that you can have soup as one of your sides!

We all loved the bread basket while waiting for the meal. The first basket had cranberry/orange bread, a slice of white, and a slice of wheat. . . all tasty. The second basket had banana nut, also tasty. The cake and pies looked fantastic, but we all were being good and passed. Afterall, we had a huge "Texas sized" Round Rock Donut at the hotel.

If I lived in Round Rock I'd be purchasing whole quiches and other baked goods all the time!