“Should not be a B&B, you should stay somewhere else”
Review of Das Blaue Haus

Das Blaue Haus
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Round Top
Das Blaue Haus
Ranked #11 of 11 Round Top B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Should not be a B&B, you should stay somewhere else”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Oh my goodness. I'm not sure where to begin. Helen, the owner, seems like a nice woman but she has a lot to learn about running & upkeep of a B&B. She rents out rooms in the upstairs level of her home, but I hesitate to even call this a B&B (and I can't believe she charges the amounts she does for what you get). I stayed one night in the Antique Room, but wish I'd just driven the 1.5 hrs home to Austin instead. I cannot recommend that anyone stay here, and I can't believe I'm the first to review it!

Main issue: the hallway bathroom that you use if you stay in the Antique Room is VERY DIRTY. There was hair on the sink/faucet, hair on the toilet seat, the washcloths/towels were stained, the soap dispenser didn't work, the trash can was so filthy I couldn't stand to touch it to even put trash in it, and the shower/tub - oh my gosh, I can't even describe it. The bathroom has not been updated since the 70's I would guess, and it shows. It would not pass health inspection for a lodging establishment. There was a small used bar of soap with short black hairs on it. There was a weird bright green stain around the calcium-lime encrusted drain. There was no way I was going to take a shower in there, so I got up early this morning and left at dawn's early light to come home, skipping the breakfast part of my B&B "experience" here. It gives me the shivers to think about it. Speaking of breakfast: she cooks downstairs I guess but brings the food upstairs, and there is a weird shelf thing over the stairwell but there is no table for the guests to eat; she said we should just sit on the sofa or a chair to eat (she told me this last night when I checked in).

I don't want to be rude, but I got the impression that this is a hoarder's property; the yards and property outside the house are cluttered and piled with all kinds of stuff, and inside, every drawer and corner holds piles of magazines and endless numbers of drinking glasses, knick-knacks and other random items. I was scared to sleep in the bed, and I did find some weird brown fragments of what I'm pretty sure were bugs. I covered up the best I could with socks and other clothing and hoped for the best. She also had some plastic cover on the mattress or maybe a plastic mattress pad, so every time you moved you could hear it, and the foam topper pad was not very comfortable. Also: the house is RIGHT on the highway, so every car/truck that goes by is very loud. Helen said they've had this property since the late 90's, and I'm sure they need the income, but holy cow, this place needs to be inspected by the health department. The walls are in desperate need of paint, the rooms could use their own small TVs (there is one TV in the living room as you enter the property but the sofa is so run down and old, I didn't want to sit on it), the bathrooms need a complete overhaul - or she just needs to not run this as a business. I am upset that I paid $75 plus taxes to stay here, and she charges even more for couples and for the other rooms. I'm sorry to be so brutally honest, but this place should probably not be allowed to remain in business the way it is right now, I don't think it's up to basic standards.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else.