“great get away....just an afternoons drive from the big city.”
Review of Inn on the Creek

Inn on the Creek
Ranked #1 of 12 Salado B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had the extreme pleasure of staying at this wonderful bed and breakfast for a quick get away. This enchanting home is beautifully restored and decorated with meticulous attention to its historic detail. The Inn is located just 2 blocks off the busy main road, sitting on lush green lawns banking the Salado creek. The offered amenities at the Inn are exactly what is expected at a B&B of its class, spotlessly clean inside and out, linens that are crisp and clean, sumptuous breakfasts and its innkeepers impeccable knowledge of inviting guest satisfaction.

I have read other reviews of the Inn, some of them less than complimentary, and I would comment that at a historic Inn, one would enter knowing that the home is old, that's what historic means. The walls are thin, the floors do squeak, the steps are steep, the closets are small....all true and this all adds to the wonderful experience to those that enjoy bed and breakfasts of this caliber.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor McKie room, great views and very private. We also sat on the beautiful w...

Reviewed 29 June 2014

There are a number of B&Bs in Salado, TX, but this one is special because of the (1) view/sound of the creek, (2) accommodating staff, (3) nature and surroundings, and (4) beautiful selection of exceptionally appointed rooms. From our first experience with Tony, who checked us in, we knew we had come to the right place. He was warm, friendly, and informative as this was our first trip to Salado. And he sings too! :) After running around this super quaint town, my husband and I couldn't wait to get back to the inn to sit in our own personal rocking chairs on our own personal covered porch. Super relaxing. We laughed when we saw that you could buy the sheets and then we experienced them. WOW...buy-able. The food was delicious and the only thing I didn't get that I really wanted was one more night. We're sure to return!

1  Thank julie228
Reviewed 22 June 2014

What a beautiful inn beside a creek. From the scrumptious breakfasts, to our four-course chef dinner, to the outstanding owner and innkeeper, Will, and his courteous staff, we had the most wonderful weekend. Celebrating my husband's birthday and looking for a nice quiet, relaxing weekend, we had just that. We highly recommend Inn on the Creek. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Like a secret getaway where they are waiting just for you. Hospitality at its best. Their attention to detail is second to none. Wonderful food, cosy comfortable rooms. Plenty to do, or just be left alone.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our yoga "tribe" enjoys regular girl getaways, and this time we selected Inn on the Creek. So happy we did!!! The setting is beautiful and relaxing, the food delicious and the staff terrific in every way imaginable, even with our idiosyncrasies such as iced tea at breakfast. (Thanks Tony!) Breakfast was a TOTAL meal...not just a pastry, fruit and juice. Dinner exceeded expectations in every category. Choices were varied, recommendations by Christian were spot on, and veggie substitutions made without question. Will is the consummate host, always smiling and eager to please. Our requests were handled without a second thought, and we felt warmly welcomed. Inn on the Creek does it all the right way with customer satisfaction being their primary goal. Well done Will and staff!!! Thank you! We will return!!

Room Tip: Holland House rooms offer a bit more privacy than the rooms in the manor (main) house.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Excellent service, lovely room with very comfortable bed. The setting is relaxing & serene. I wanted to just sit on the porch & do nothing. I'll be back.

The breakfast was superb and my dinner at Alexander's was fabulous!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was only our second time at a B&B, and I have to say that I am beginning to see what all the fuss is about. Then again, maybe we're getting lucky and picking great places. From initial contact to final goodbyes Inn on the Creek REALLY impressed me. Well, both of us really. I purchased a Groupon based on the great deal and excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. When I spoke with Will to reserve a time he was extremely personable and helpful. We picked dates and a room and were all set for our trip. Later that week we something came up that required us to modify our dates. This time we worked with Tony to reschedule, and were disappointed that the room we wanted wasn't available both nights. Tony offered to reserve us our preferred room (McKie) for the first night, offered great suggestions for a different room the second night (Fowler), and assured us they would even move our luggage. We were floored!

When we arrived, we were very pleased with the scenery and location. Inn on the Creek is right on a beautiful part of the local creek. The grass and trees surrounding it were lush and green. There were hammocks and benches all around to enjoy the view. And both rooms we stayed in offered great views of the creek as well. Will made check in swift and easy. He made some food recommendations and encouraged us to have a cocktail and an appetizer on the balcony of Alexander's which is attached to the Inn. We did, and it was a wonderful way to enjoy sundown.

Our first room (McKie) was absolutely adorable. Very spacious with this great library nook that my husband and I never wanted to leave. There is a great big claw foot tub in the bathroom and comfy chairs to sit in. Our second room was much smaller but still excellent. It had a daybed that was great for sitting and enjoying the view as well as his and her sinks (we agreed this would be a great place to sleep a 3rd person if we bring our daughter in the future). And as promised, the team brought our luggage from one room to the other. Each room is well appointed with complimentary water / soda / coffee as well as basic toiletries and nice towels. The sheets were phenomenal. Both rooms were clean and it was clear that Will pays attention to every detail that goes into each room. We were really blown away. It just felt comfortable and welcoming. Oh, and each room had a guest book with lots of signatures - so much fun to read. The ONLY somewhat negative feedback I have is that the beds weren't awful, but they weren't excellent either. Very bouncy and springy - not much padding. In the spirit of full disclosure I work for a bedding company and sleep on a Tempurpedic so I am completely aware that I am a total bed snob! This would NOT deter us from coming back and didn't impact our rating overall. Just a preference...

One of the BEST parts of our experience was our time in the lounge on Saturday night. Tony sings jazz standards while Nelda accompanies him with a mean piano! They are both fantastic - Tony has a beautiful voice & Nelda's piano playing was stellar. My husband and I really enjoyed just relaxing, listening to great music, enjoying a cocktail. The banter with Tony and Nelda was great too. We wanted to stay all night, but we were too relaxed and sleepy! This was just one of several great experiences - I could go on listing them for quite some time (excellent breakfasts, Breakfast in bed, chatting with Will, meeting Eddie a local shop owner) but I think you get the picture.

Bottom line, this is a place we would come back to and highly recommend to others without a moments hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salado
Holiday Inn Express Salado-Belton
Days Inn Salado
Days Inn Salado
#2 of 3 in Salado
Stagecoach Inn Motel & Conference Center

Been to Inn on the Creek? Share your experiences!