“Good casual bayside dining”
Review of Top Water Grill

Top Water Grill
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in San Leon
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have been dining at Topwater Grill for years....ever since it had a small bar & dining room. It has since gone through many transformations, due mostly to the various hurricanes that came our way (Rita, Ike, etc.). The funny thing is, is that for all this time we have 99% of the time only gotten one dish.....Pecan Crusted Snapper, always done perfectly and the side dishes really complement the fish. We do always enjoy the key lime pie and various oyster dishes. It is very casual and can get get crowded. Best time to come is at sunset.

Other reviewers mention price, well we eat out quite a bit in the Galveston Bay Area and prices are very good for what you get...food is always fresh, not frozen. Always very busy on weekend early evenings when the weather is good. Best time to come on weekends is around 5:00, if you come around 6-7, you will have to wait.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

First time there was a little wait but not bad at all,once we got a table for me the wife and three kids the wait staff did a great job.The place was pack but it was about the food and it was the best seafood any where along the gulf coast u will not be disappointed here

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I ate lunch at Top Water Grill a few days ago. I was expecting something different from their outside seating area - it's a few wooden picnic tables on a narrow deck beside the restaurant with a view of a small canal where people dock their boats. The tables on the front deck have only a view of the boat ramp and come with the smell of gasoline. The picnic tables have stereo speakers above them, so (you guessed it) the music is cranked up very loud. Soon we moved to a table where the speaker was not working so that we could have a conversation. The menu is the standard coastal fare; I ordered grilled shrimp and scallops with green beans and sweet potato fries (the server was really nice to substitute foods on my order); I asked that very little seasoning be used as well. The shrimp had too much seasoning and was neither good nor bad, the scallops were undercooked, the fries and green beans were fine. My husband had the pork chops (excellent), mashed potatoes (very good) and green beans. If I ever go back I'll order the pork chops. On paper the restaurant looks great - and should be, but it's pretty much just average.

2  Thank Sayarma
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Lobster Bisque was fantastic for lunch! Gumbo was also very good, especially if you like it on the spicy side. Great service. Nice outdoor seating. Nice place to relax and enjoy the Texas Gulf Coast.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We have dined here many times with our family as well at meetings of a boating organization to which we belong. There service is always prompt and the seafood fresh since it sits on Dickinson Bay an off shoot of Galveston Bay. The restaurant is fairly large but service is always prompt and courteous. The restaurant is accessible by both boat and car if you are cruising in the area..If you request a table to the rear or outside you can see the fishermen and guides bringing in their catch. . Although restaurants in Kemah receive more publicity, the portions are larger and the prices are lower at the Top Water Grille. My wife's favorite is the fried shrimp and mine is fried oysters either as a dinner or a Po Boy.