“Location! Location! Location!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Location! Location! Location!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We have stayed here several times for both business & pleasure. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is great! I have never made it to the evening reception so can't say anything about that. During business trips, the business center has been a life saver. And for our shopping trips, you can't get close to the outlets mall than this! Only negative, no free wi-fi but still love this place!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments from your stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit in San Marcos and that you chose Embassy Suites for your stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Greek first
Richmond, Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I spent the night at the ES last night and truly enjoyed it. The room was spacious and immaculate. The cocktail hour (free) was from 5-7:30 with little wait for drinks. Breakfast this morning was perfect with anything you want available. Many of the items like eggs and omelettes were made to order with little wait although the hotel was packed. I will defintely choose this hotel again when in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator are more quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Thank you for providing your comments from you stay with us. We are pleased you chose us and that you enjoyed your stay. We will share your comments with our team. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you on your next trip to our area. Tom Pugh, General Manager.
Florida
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel for four nights in Nov 2011. It is convenient as it's located between Austin and San Antonio and relatively new. Rooms are the standard found in most Embassy Suite facilities... adequate but nothing special. However, we felt this hotel was primarily suited to convention and large groups rather than a couple or family. Further, we experienced a number of housekeeping issues which detracted from our stay... including unmade bed, no towels, lack of soap and shampoo in our room; a soap dispenser in the laundry which did not work properly; a used coffee container as well as our in room service tray that remained for extended time in the hallway. There were large groups for a high school volleyball tournament as well as the university football team billeted there during our stay as well contributing to a lot of congestion and noise. It is not a place we would choose to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the east side... window face field. Those on the west side face interstate and co...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kamainatraveler
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments from your stay with us. I certainly understand your frustration with the housekeeping issues you experienced. We will correct this with our team and I apologize for these problems. We appreciate your business and please contact me if I can be of assistance to you in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I recently stayed at this Embassy Suites for business. It is a relatively new hotel (maybe 2 years old), located along the interstate. The hotel itself is typical Embassy Suites, so if you like this kind of place there shouldn’t be any surprises. The rooms are the standard 2-room suites setup, however there were a few gripes:

ROOM LIGHTING
Most new hotels have almost totally eliminated ceiling and wall-mounted light fixtures, in favor of table and floor lamps. This is obviously for cost-savings, as well as flexibility when rooms are remodeled. But the end result is that rooms almost always appear pretty dark, even when every light is turned on. The CFL bulbs in this particular room appeared to be the equivalent of 40 to 60 watt bulbs, insufficient for most reading and working situations. As LEDs begin to replace CFLs, I hope hotel operators will address this problem, not just at Embassy Suites but at most properties.

OUTLETS
Like most people, I travel with my mobile phone. At night, I like to charge it on the nightstand and use the alarm clock function to get up the next day. You’d be surprised how many hotels fail to put an electrical outlet close by for this very function. You usually end up having to pull back the nightstand and unplug the (underpowered) bedside lamp or the cheapo clock radio. This Embassy Suites did have extra outlets on the base of the table lamp next to the bed. Very handy, except they were too close to the base to fit the compact AC adapter. Not a good design, guys. One of the few chains that I have stayed at that has gotten this right has been La Quinta. This is the fault of the interior architects and should be addressed when remodeled.

BATHROOM
I travel frequently and have learned that the bathroom is the room’s Achilles heel. You can see this is in both older remodeled properties and new hotels. This Embassy Suites was not that old, but the tub enclosure had a huge horizontal crack in the faux-marble panel along the wall where the shower head and controls are. This may have happened during construction or shortly thereafter. But rather than replace the panel, the “repair” was a sloppy caulking job - and the caulk was still sticky! That was really an amateurish way to fix this.

Also, most hotels forgo shower doors in favor of curtains. If the shower curtain is not long enough, minor flooding invariably results. The shower curtains at this hotel appeared to be “custom”, meaning it was at least 6 inches too short, so you could not prevent water from splashing out onto the floor. Again, the hotel cheaped-out instead of putting in a properly-sized curtain.

IN-ROOM INTERNET ACCESS
My pet peeve is that, for some reason, the more expensive the hotel, the less you will find free in-room internet access (wired or wireless). This Embassy Suites does have free wireless, but only in the lobby. If less expensive properties like Hampton, Holiday Inn Express, and La Quinta can provide free in-room internet access at rates 50% of Embassy Suites, then Embassy Suites should follow suit. It is just another nickel-and-dime annoyance.

BUSINESS CENTER
There is a small business center off the lobby, next to the coffee shop. You can only access it with your room key. There are two desktop PCs, two chairs, and one printer. Not much but generally it should be enough. However, the day I was there I needed to use the business center to print one short item. When I went in, one of the computers was in use by two female hotel workers, who also were using both chairs. They were apparently on their break updating their Facebook page (still in uniform). So even though I was a paying guest, I ended up standing at the computer trying to work as they are right next to me laughing loudly and making up fake and suggestive profiles. I asked them if I could borrow one of their chairs and was ignored. I had to leave because they were extremely loud and annoying.

To the Management of the Embassy Suites San Marcos:
You need to make sure your employees are not abusing facilities designed for guest use, at least during normal business hours. If this had happened at say 2 AM, I might understand. But this was in the middle of the afternoon. There was NO reason your workers should have been goofing off in the business center. And I am no prude, but their language was certianly far from professional.

DINING
There are limited dining choices at this hotel. The coffee shop (adjacent to the business center) has the usual selections of coffee and drinks. There is a bar/restaurant across the corridor, but it was empty every meal-time during my stay. Even the free breakfast buffet seemed almost abandoned.

SUMMARY
This hotel aspires to be a full-service business class hotel. But it was overpriced for the market – you can find more convenient and more reasonable choices elsewhere. Many people come to San Marcos for the outlet malls and it seems this hotel wants to cater to a portion of that crowd. There is also an attached convention center, but it appeared most people that were at those meetings lived locally and did not stay at the hotel. There are no attractions, restaurants, businesses, or ANYTHING within even a 10-minute walking distance. Be prepared to drive everywhere for everything.

If you like Embassy Suites and do not overpaying for rooms, coffee, and internet access, then you should not have any problems with this location. But if you’d like to save a little money, there are better choices in San Marcos.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. Lower floors are subject to more lobby noise due to the atrium des...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Joe P
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. Your comments about our staff using the business center will be followed up, please accept my apologies. Staff are not allowed to use our business center. Thank you for your business and if I can ever be of assistance, please contact me. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Mount Pleasant, Texas
Reviewed 8 December 2011

What a wonderful hotel and convention center! I stayed 3 nights this week for a conference. The staff was helpful and accommodating. The room was everything you expect from an Embassy Suites - comfortable, clean, spacious and everything functioning properly. I dined in their restaurant on the first nite. I had the 6oz steak on a bun with homemade potato chips...it was fantastic! The daily manager's reception and breakfast made the day perfect! Hats off to this location, and entire franchise!

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
We appreciate your taking time to tell us about your stay with us. I am addicted to those chips! Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager.
Garden City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2011

The hotel was very convenient to Austin and San Antonio. The rooms were big and well maintained with a separate living room area. The location is very close to the outlets. A relaxing atmosphere. Reasonably priced with a god breakfast buffet included.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 19 November 2011
Thank you for taking time to share your comments from your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to serving you in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager.
Bryant, Arkansas
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Chose this hotel to shop and take my kids to schlitterbahns.This the best hotel in the area.One exit up from 2 outlet malls and 15 minutes fron schlitterbahns.Top quality new embassy suites.I like the brand and have stayed at probably 20 embassy suite from washington dc to tampa to san antonio to new orleans.Free breakfast a plus.What I really like about this embassy suite is it's large outdoor pool and hot tub.The hot tube was great after a long day of shopping.This hotel is your only upscale hotel in the area and I'll stay here again the next time I'm in san marcos.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
We appreciate your taking time to share your experience from your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the San Marcos area. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your next visit with us. Tom Pugh, General Manager.