“Good place to stay close to the outlet mall” 4 of 5 bubbles

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in San Marcos
GreenLeadersGold level
Huntsville, Texas
“Good place to stay close to the outlet mall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have not stayed at any hotel in San Marcos other than this one since it opened about 5 years ago. I stay about once a year. It is a very nice Embassy Suites with a convention center attached, so it is usually very busy and full. As a result, it is difficult to find what I consider to be a "good" rate. The best is the AAA or AARP rate during the week for around $135.00/night. This time, we stayed on a Friday and Saturday night and had to pay $160.00 each night. I even booked about 3 months in advance. The hotel offers an early evening hour (starting around 5:30) of complimentary snacks and limited alcoholic drinks. Very basic snacks--crackers, nuts and popcorn type of thing. I hardly ever get to take advantage of this anyway because I am usually still shopping at the outlet mall during this service. The morning cooked-to-order breakfasts are absolutely wonderful though. And the coffee is the best I have EVER had at any hotel. As good as my favorite Keurig brew at home. (Not the in-room coffee, but the coffee downstairs at breakfast.) My main complaint about the breakfast is they often do not offer waffles. For instance, this time, on a Sunday morning at 9:45 a.m. (breakfast ends at 10:30 a.m.) they were no waffle makers in sight. I have found this in the past as well. Maybe no waffles on the week-ends? Maybe no waffles when they are completely booked? Not sure about the magical waffle offering. Also, on this particular Sunday, the pancakes were only available on the buffet rather than fresh from the griddle. The only cooked-to-order items available were eggs and omelets. Still, a good selection of food, breads, fruit, juices, etc. Like all ES, the rooms are very spacious and have a separate bedroom. The bathroom is roomy with good countertop space. This time, I noticed the towels were a little thin and worn. We ended up calling for additional towels and when they still had not been delivered over an hour later, my husband walked downstairs to ask for some. They were delivered finally about 15 minutes later. Also, the bed was quite hard if you like that. Our room was a corner room and was very quiet. The central a/c was quiet as well. As usual, the comforter was too heavy/hot for our tastes, but there was a thinner blanket in the closet to substitute so all was fine. I guess the blanket was provided because the room came with a sofa bed. Usually I end up calling housekeeping to provide the lighter blanket. The hotel has a nice bar, a restaurant, spa, snack area, etc., so lots of extras if needed, or if you don't feel like leaving after getting there. There is nothing close by to walk to, so you would have to drive to go to a restaurant or to get a snack. Although I have never utilized it, I think they provide complimentary shuttle service to the outlet mall.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear pickygirl09
Thank You for staying with us since we have opened. I appreciate your nice comments about the hotel and will talk with the F&B team about the waffles and housekeeping concerning the towels. I was pleased that you did enjoy the hotel service, amenities and hope you continue to stay with us when visiting the area.
Larry Cooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Greek first
Duncanville, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our visit was great. The front desk was fast,fun and friendly. Our room was clean and we loved our upgrade with my favorite coffee and snacks anytime we wanted one!! The pool was great and met new friends. We always love the evening reception (bartender could have maybe smiled every so often to appear more friendly). The breakfast was yummy with a great selection. Embassy is always our first choice always sad when the town doesn't have one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
GigiTX8,
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your Fun stay at the hotel. I was pleased that you met new people here and the staff was very accomidating. I was also glad you enjoyed the amenities of the pool, breakfast and managers reception. I hope on your next trip to San Marcos you will return to the hotel.

Bamberg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

So I actually stay here quite often because my daughter attends school at the local university. The hotel is nice and the front desk staff are very friendly. My biggest complaint about this hotel is the bathrooms. Each room I stay in, the bathroom is worn out. Chipped wall paper or cracks in the wall. And the lighting is horrible. Most hotels in this price range have better bathrooms. No liquid soap....This hotels bathroom is just average...which is the reason for this rating. Breakfast is pretty nice. Lots of items to choose from...The omelet bar is nice but it is nothing exceptional....

The managers special in the evenings is a nice touch. They usually have water with cucumber or lemon in the front of the hotel. But the last time I stayed there...nothing.

Room Tip: I enjoy facing the outlet mall but always choose a room on a higher floor because of the bar on the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OKlawdog
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear OKlawdog,
Thank You for taking the time to comment on the hotel. I appreciate you being a frequent guest to the property. I have discussed your comments with the team and looking into the bathroom issue. I was pleased that you enjoy the location, service and amenities. Again thank you and hope to see you in the hotel soon.

Sivakasi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I'm sure this must be the best in San Marcos. Absolutely no complains. Very clean room. Very friendly front office. And the shuttle service to the nearby shopping malls is a added value, and you have no reason to get bored. The pool was very good. I should mention about the free drinks served in the bar in the evening hours. It's a wonderful idea, and it's fun to chill out after a hectic day. The restaurant was good. Though it may look slightly overpriced, the food is worth a mention. The massive structure and the huge lobby is a plus. I spent a lot of time in the lobby. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Murali A,
Thank You for commenting on how enjoyable you stay was at the hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed the lobby area to relax and took part in the managers reception. I have passed the comments along to the team and hope when your in San Marcos again you will stay with us.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Our room, meeting rooms, breakfast meal and evening drinks were all excellent! Clean room and very helpful and friendly staff. Close by the Outlet Stores and other stores. Will stay again! We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank You for taking the the time to comment on your recent stay. I appreciate the nice comments about the hotel location, service and amenities. I hope on your next trip to that area you will stay with us again.

Belton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed here for an onsite stamping and scrapbook convention. Incredible experience for the money. I had a suite with refrig and microwave. I got cooked-to-order omelets and fruit, one of many choices for the complimentary breakfast. They even had a managers reception in the evening with free wine, beer or daily cocktail with a crunchy snack bar. This hotel was definitely part of the reason the whole weekend was such a wonderfully special experience!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Suzanne B
Thank You for the nice comments about your stay during the scrapbooking conference. I was pleased that you enjoyed the hotel service and amenities. I have shared this with the team and hope to see you next year for the conference.

Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

This facility has the best customer service and accommodations around. I travel a lot and stay in lots of hotels that are full service and this group really appreciates your stay. The dinning and lounge are very nice to enjoy a wonderful meal and cocktails.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Carl S
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Carl S,
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I appreciate the great comments on the hotel service and facility. I have passed this along to the team as they take pride in hearing how the customers enjoyed there stay. I hope when you return to San Marcos you will return to the hotel.
See you soon,