“Neat experience, although a bit overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles

Wonder World Park
Ranked #8 of 38 things to do in San Marcos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Wonder World Park, a one-of-a-kind Theme Park, known as the 1st show cave in Texas. Visitors have enjoyed touring the Balcones Fault Line Cave for over 105 years, and now, the park has many other attractions for family fun and entertainment. Enjoy a guided tour and discover the nation's only true example of an earthquake formed cave. Go deep underground and see up close the devastation of a major quake. Exit by the "Stratavator" and ride high into the sky to the Tejas Observation Tower. Be amazed by the Topsy-Turvy World of the Anti-Gravity House where everything is backwards, even water flows up hill! Board the train and splash through the waterfalls of Mystery Mountain on your way to the Texas Wildlife Petting Park. Educational and fun for ALL ages, Wonder World Park Cave and Attractions is just minutes from I-35 in San Marcos between Austin and San Antonio. Gift shops, free picnic grounds, free parking and much more await your visit.
Austin
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Neat experience, although a bit overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We went this weekend, taking advantage of good weather here in central Texas. We had a great time, loved the caves and the tower, the antigravity room and the wildlife exhibit. That being said, it was $40 for myself and a child, and that's about $20 too much, in my opinion. My daughter loved feeding the deer from the train. It's a wonderful experience, but we most likely won't do it again. If you have older visitors or younger children, I wouldn't recommend the caves, there are a lot of stairs and low hanging rocks.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kbellatx

Beaumont, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not for Small Kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We went with our kids 2 and 4 it was very hard to get around in there with them. It has alot of steep and narrow areas to climb. But it was pretty cool.

Visited August 2013
lovin-life-in-port-a
“1st cave trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Went as just my husband and I for a spur of the moment thing. I thought it was great. Had never been to a cave before so this was a great one to start with since you can touch the walls. The tourguide had a lot of good information and facts. She was very knowledgeable about everything in the park including the animals. I liked feeding the deer. They're tame like goats. We really enjoyed our time.

Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A very good first cave experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our visit to Wonder World Park was our first caving experience. It was a compromise between my husband (who wanted to jump right into spelunking) and myself (who didn't feel the need to limbo under ledges or squeeze myself between boulders just yet.) Wonder World is a guided tour that involves very little cave knowledge or physical agility. There are some steep steps, but there are railings throughout and I felt safe. (I was able to navigate the cave easily in flip flops, so that should tell you something.) There were lots of interesting rock formations to be seen. There were florescent gems, giant mollusk fossils, lots of interesting shapes to decipher. The 72 degree temperature inside was an excellent reprieve from the scorching August heat above.

After the cave tour, we visited the anti gravity house. I know how these houses work, with slanted floors and patterned walls, they are basically an optical illusion that causes your mind to play tricks on itself. However, knowing the trick doesn't make it any less amazing to see a pool ball rolling uphill or water flowing up the walls. This house was a lot of fun and makes for good pictures. You can help but feel a little dizzy after walking around in here.

We also enjoyed the train ride through the animal park. You can buy deer feed for $2/bag and the deer with run right up the train and eat it from your hands. (Obviously, it's a slow moving vehicle, not a speeding freighter.) There was a one-eyed ostrich who must be the king of the park... he nonchalantly blocked traffic as he inspected the passengers in each of the train cars. He seemed friendly enough, but I'm always a little terrified of those giant birds. lol The also had llamas, zebras, goats, peacocks, and antelope who didn't seem too interested in us.

This was a good experience, a great introduction to caving, and a fun way to spend an afternoon. (Unless you are claustrophobic, then you SHOULD NOT be caving!)

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Bethany S
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Run down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

The place was run down. Train ride was 15 minutes through a nasty area that contained only deer and goats (wow)! The gravity house was merely a shack built on a 30 degree angle which throws off your equilibrium, The 10 minutes we were allowed in there was however the most entertaining of the entire tour. The cave was 45 minutes and was moderately interesting. then you are led up a run down observation tower that is only 130 ft. Off the ground with a nice view of the parking lot. Basically cheap entertainment that isn't too cheap. Staff are young and could care less. Place was dirty and run down. My two kids did not enjoy the visit and were bored.

Visited July 2013