“Good Saturday Excursion”

Wonder World Park
Ranked #8 of 38 things to do in San Marcos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Wonder World Park, a one-of-a-kind Theme Park, known as the 1st show cave in Texas. Visitors have enjoyed touring the Balcones Fault Line Cave for over 105 years, and now, the park has many other attractions for family fun and entertainment. Enjoy a guided tour and discover the nation's only true example of an earthquake formed cave. Go deep underground and see up close the devastation of a major quake. Exit by the "Stratavator" and ride high into the sky to the Tejas Observation Tower. Be amazed by the Topsy-Turvy World of the Anti-Gravity House where everything is backwards, even water flows up hill! Board the train and splash through the waterfalls of Mystery Mountain on your way to the Texas Wildlife Petting Park. Educational and fun for ALL ages, Wonder World Park Cave and Attractions is just minutes from I-35 in San Marcos between Austin and San Antonio. Gift shops, free picnic grounds, free parking and much more await your visit.
San Antonio, Texas
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Good Saturday Excursion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We live in San Antonio and decided to take a trip a couple hours up I35 to San Marcos to visit Wonder World. I had not visited the park for 34 years and my daughter and wife have never visited. My son said he had been through the cave. We printed the $3 off coupon from the Wonder World website and headed north to Wonder World. The coupon is good for $3 off if you arrive at the park before 11 AM. Otherwise it's $2 off. We arrived around 10 AM and we bought our tickets. Total cost for four adults with the coupon was $86 and some change. The park opened at 9 AM and I think we were the first guests to arrive. The cool and very foggy morning may have had something to do with us being the first. We were told the first tour would start in 15-20 minutes and to look around the gift shop. The gift shop was well stocked with all the normal items one could find in a normal gift shop and also had some items associated with caves, animals, and Texas. The first thing we toured was the animal park. Before we left to see the animals we bought a small bag of deer food pellets at the gift shop's outdoor window to feed the deer. The park transports you in a train-looking tired trolley across the street through the Mystery Mountain tunnel to the animal park. The animals in the park were deer, turkeys, goats, llamas, a crow, roosters and chickens, emus, and maybe some others. At first no animals seem willing to approach the trolley for food, but after the trolley stopped for a few minutes a couple of deer came over and ate. One ate out of our hands and the other was a bit shy and would only eat the pellets if they were thrown on the ground. A couple more deer came over along with two emus. The emus weren't shy at all about eating out of our hands. All through this our driver/guide was informative and entertaining. The animal habitat was mostly a rocky landscape and was not particularly pleasing to the eye. The place needed plants and some sprucing up. After about 20 minutes or so feeding the four deer and the two emus we were driven back across the street to begin the cave tour. The cave tour begins with a walk down some steep steps. We were duly warned to use the hand rails and to watch our heads. I recommend wearing a good pair of shoes with nonslip soles. The cave was formed millions of years ago by an earthquake. It is not a growing cave - it is essentially a dry cave. But with that said, the rocks along the fault line of the cave are awesome. Bedrock, flint stone, fossilized formations, huge overhead boulders, all lined this earthquake formed cave. The lowest point in the cave is about one-hundred feet down and it is all by foot. It is not handicapped accessible. Luckily, there is an elevator at the end of the cave tour which takes you up topside and then continues up to the observation tower. The tower gives you a good view of the coastal plains on one side and then the hill country on the other. The last attraction on the tour was the antigravity house where balls seemingly roll up hill and water does the same. All in all it was an enjoyable day and worth a ride from San Antonio. Kudos to our tour guide, Amando. He kept the tour light, funny, and informative. Plus we had several children on the tour and he was great with the kids. Allow about an hour and a half for the full tour. You should have fun.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Stu1945

Austin
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Neat experience, although a bit overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We went this weekend, taking advantage of good weather here in central Texas. We had a great time, loved the caves and the tower, the antigravity room and the wildlife exhibit. That being said, it was $40 for myself and a child, and that's about $20 too much, in my opinion. My daughter loved feeding the deer from the train. It's a wonderful experience, but we most likely won't do it again. If you have older visitors or younger children, I wouldn't recommend the caves, there are a lot of stairs and low hanging rocks.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kbellatx
Beaumont, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not for Small Kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We went with our kids 2 and 4 it was very hard to get around in there with them. It has alot of steep and narrow areas to climb. But it was pretty cool.

Visited August 2013
lovin-life-in-port-a
“1st cave trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Went as just my husband and I for a spur of the moment thing. I thought it was great. Had never been to a cave before so this was a great one to start with since you can touch the walls. The tourguide had a lot of good information and facts. She was very knowledgeable about everything in the park including the animals. I liked feeding the deer. They're tame like goats. We really enjoyed our time.

Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A very good first cave experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our visit to Wonder World Park was our first caving experience. It was a compromise between my husband (who wanted to jump right into spelunking) and myself (who didn't feel the need to limbo under ledges or squeeze myself between boulders just yet.) Wonder World is a guided tour that involves very little cave knowledge or physical agility. There are some steep steps, but there are railings throughout and I felt safe. (I was able to navigate the cave easily in flip flops, so that should tell you something.) There were lots of interesting rock formations to be seen. There were florescent gems, giant mollusk fossils, lots of interesting shapes to decipher. The 72 degree temperature inside was an excellent reprieve from the scorching August heat above.

After the cave tour, we visited the anti gravity house. I know how these houses work, with slanted floors and patterned walls, they are basically an optical illusion that causes your mind to play tricks on itself. However, knowing the trick doesn't make it any less amazing to see a pool ball rolling uphill or water flowing up the walls. This house was a lot of fun and makes for good pictures. You can help but feel a little dizzy after walking around in here.

We also enjoyed the train ride through the animal park. You can buy deer feed for $2/bag and the deer with run right up the train and eat it from your hands. (Obviously, it's a slow moving vehicle, not a speeding freighter.) There was a one-eyed ostrich who must be the king of the park... he nonchalantly blocked traffic as he inspected the passengers in each of the train cars. He seemed friendly enough, but I'm always a little terrified of those giant birds. lol The also had llamas, zebras, goats, peacocks, and antelope who didn't seem too interested in us.

This was a good experience, a great introduction to caving, and a fun way to spend an afternoon. (Unless you are claustrophobic, then you SHOULD NOT be caving!)

Visited August 2013