“"Great Place To Stay"”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Marcos
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

After shopping all day at the Outlet Mall, Country Inn & Suite is a great place to stay and relax after all of the walking :) Me and my fiancé enjoyed the Whirlpool Suite and guys if your trying to impress your lady friend this is the rite suite. Very nice. Thanks Country Inn & Suites.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Pablo P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Pablo G. Palomino
Front Office Manager
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Good location. Easy to get to from the highway. Building had "curb appeal" and looked great from the outside. The lobby and breakfast area were very nice and looked "home-y". The staff member at the desk at the time I checked in did not seem very welcoming, though. Hardly a smile to greet a travel-weary guest. When I requested a room with two beds, I was charged extra because the room was booked through an opaque third-party site. I have used this site many times and made the same request in different hotels and have rarely, if ever, had to pay extra (except when they charge for a rollaway). The carpet steps leading to the second floor could use some cleaning and updating, as well as the carpet in the hallway. The room itself where we stayed was clean. Beds were comfortable although I still did not get a good night's sleep. (Got the bed farther away from the air conditioner so it was a little warm). The highway noise can be heard from the part of the room closest to I-35, but the noise level got better farther away from the window.

Nice shower, clean bathroom. Breakfast items typical of hotel breakfasts; food not fabulous but there is a lot of variety and something for everyone. I do like the room/area where it is served. Looked like a spacious dining room in a home, with an island where some of the items are served. There were bigger tables for families and groups. All in all, if guests just need a place to spend the night and grab a quick breakfast in the morning, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway.
Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had no problem with this hotel. Staff was friendly, room was clean, hotel was clean.
We got a late start on breakfast, so it was a bit picked over, but I expected that. Food was typically what you expect.
Request a room facing north, toward the university, for a much nicer view. Our friends had rooms facing south and it was the back of an old auto salvage/parts place. We had no highway noise issue.
We choose this hotel for an excellent rate, then found an even better one on Groupon. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a north facing room for better views
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel. The prices were good, and the size of the room was fantastic. We got a suite, because there were three of us, so we needed the pull-out couch and thought having a separate room would provide some privacy. It provided little, as the door to the bedroom had windows.
The first thing I noticed when we walked into our suite were the stains on the carpet. It didn't bother me that much, because it looked like they were just stains and the carpet had at least been vacuumed. Then I noticed the couch was also covered in stains. I'm a bit of a germaphobe so I try to look past these things, but I have a hard time if there's crusty evidence of the people who have been in our room before us.
I tried to ignore these things and walked into the bathroom. The floor made a crunchy sound when I stepped in, as if someone had just returned from the beach and left sand everywhere they stood. There's not a beach in San Marcos, however, so I'm not sure what it was on the floor.
I can say the king bed was nice, and I didn't see any evidence of bed bugs or other vermin. Although, I did notice a large amount of animal fur on the bedspread and honestly it didn't look like it had been washed recently. The only pillows in the room were feather pillows. Some people like feather pillows, some people don't. It's nice to have an alternative if you're needing something a bit more supportive.
The staff was friendly, and the breakfast was actually pretty good for hotel breakfast. The breakfast room was beautiful and if our room had been up to that standard we would have stayed there the following nights.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah V
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Except for the noise from the highway (and every hotel in San Marcos, Texas borders I-35), this hotel was not different from any other Country Inn and Suites. At least this hotel does not face the highway, but is perpendicular to it. (...although the cookies out front were as hard as rocks.....)

Room Tip: Get as far away from the highway as possilbe
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HowzitMinneapolis
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Ive stayed at this property several times. My first experience was with a friend who has a service animal - was surprised when they back charged me with a pet fee without informing me at checkout, (used reward nights). After some lengthy conversation with corporate they quickly refunded.

Stayed again this December, of course on points, the property is starting to show use and poor maintenance practices. Attached is a photo of the door separating the living from bed room. You can see that no one has checked the quality of workmanship of the painter. 15 min with a blade would have cleaned this up, not sure how long its been that way but I do intend to go back and re-visit this room just to see.

The property is in a great location south of the city and very near to shopping, is very quiet as it sits back a ways from the freeway.

Staff are usually out "assisting other guests" read out back smoking. This was seen on both 1st and 2nd shift.

Breakfast is great and variety was great.

The quality of sleep fantastic - bed and amenities comfy.

Room Tip: Top floor is best as you dont hear the other guests above you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Kenneth H
Pablo P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed the designated employee smoking areas with our team. I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future, by eliminating all smoking in front of property by employees. We've also instructed the maintenance department to clean up the paint off the glass door.

Pablo G. Palomino
Front Office Manager
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at other motels in the area and they were good. However, the Country Inn is a wonderful gem! From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out the service was fantastic! The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The breakfast was great with a nice variety of offerings to choose. Also their indoor pool was just the right temperature.

• Stayed: November 2013