“worst room i have ever seen for $80”

Summit Inn Hotel and Suites
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 20 February 2011

walked in,smelled musty,bed and pillows dirty,bathtub was black,sink had nasty stuff all in it,marijuana in the drawer,microwave looked as if a crack pipe blew up in it,needless to say,we demanded our money back and went to holiday inn,was way worth the extra $20 to lay in a clean bed and not catch any diseases...the girl at the front desk was nice,so i give her a good rating,but everything else i give a 1 only because zero does not exist...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank consgirl

Reviewed 18 January 2011

They "lost" our information that was booked through priceline and gave away our room before we showed up. They found the information later and after calling management they had to give away someone elses room to accommodate us. Thankfully that person did not show up. Room was nothing special. Coke machines were always unplugged. The pool was dirty. Would only recommend for a cheap, adequate stay, as there are worse hotels in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fanman47
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Best deal in town with FRIENDLY STAFF, FREE BREAKFAST, GOOD PRICE. Everyone, was really nice in staff, room was clean enough for the price that I paid. I think room worth little more than what I paid for, but hi i am not gone a complain.. will come back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Let me begin by saying my expectation levels on motels are low. I will gladly pay $50 for a reasonable place to lay my head than $100 for a nice place that smells good and has all that extra stuff.

With that said, this place is a phenomenal pile of crap, even by my standards.

We arrived past midnight and the room that was assigned to us had a beeping smoke detector that needed its battery changed. This seems like a small problem, but it's something that would have kept me awake and staring at the ceiling all night. I went to the front desk and the very friendly desk worker switched us to another room.

Let me tell you about this room. I walked in and it looked like a damn murder scene. Bed sheets all over the floor, lamp overturned, shower curtain on the ground; plus, the lights didn't turn on. Obviously, this room was also unacceptable.

So, I went to the front desk guy again and he apologized and switched us to another room. Mind you, all three of these rooms so far have been clear across the motel from each other, so we're running around, lugging our stuff all over creation.

Room no. 3: Beeping smoke detector AGAIN, fridge doesn't work and A/C is shabby. At this point, I'm ready to sleep out on the asphalt like a gd hobo. Front desk says he's going to come change the smoke detector battery so he doesn't have to move us again. While we wait, a roach runs across the floor and a cricket makes its way across the wall. Ten minutes later, he shows up at our door and says they're out of batteries, so he'll have to move us AGAIN. This time it's only a few doors down.

FINALLY, we get a room where everything works. Funny thing is, if we'd have gotten this room to start, I'd likely have gone two stars, maybe three. The room was in pretty shabby shape and the coffee maker was completely molded on the inside (vomitastic!). However, I was able to lay down and sleep here. I don't know if it was mold in the place (it was rather humid inside), but I do know that it took a full day back home at my own house before I could breathe right, so that's also a possibility. You know what? There's no way I'd give this place three stars.

Another gem dandy of a feature of this fine motel is that your key card will stop working at 11 a.m. every day. The less-than-friendly daytime worker told us "that's just the way it is."

So, to wrap this novel of a review up, I would recommend someplace else. There's a Super 8 right down the road that has pretty much the same and I can't imagine it's worse than this pile of poo.

The sign out front of the San Marcos River Inn reads "under new management." If this new management is better than the last, then a slovenly Norman Bates must have been the caretaker.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank mister_ess
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Spent 2 nights at this hotel over a weekend in July 2008. I believe our room number was 114, right across from the pool.
The location is nice, right off the highway and near restaurants, etc. Parking is so-so. I found it hard to find a parking spot on the south side of the hotel where my room was located. There was only one small row of parking available due to a fence that blocked any other space for parking. Parking might be easier if you have a room on other sides of the building.
Noise was definitely a factor. We heard the people in the room next to us like they were speaking in the same room we were. We heard lots of noise above us as well but it didn't bother us THAT much. Pool noise was a factor until 1030-1100pm which we can't complain about since our room was right by the pool, so I would suggest asking for a room away from the pool if that might be an issue for you.
Our room was clean, but the bathroom could have used some touching up, especially on the walls/ceilings. Part of the ceiling looked like it was coming apart, possibly due to the steam from the shower and a ceiling leak coming from upstairs that dripped at certain times, probably when the person above us was taking a shower.
The air conditioner worked really well which was nice after being outside in the heat. It also didn't "rattle" or make any weird noises like I'm used to at other hotels.
The prices are competitive, and you get a decent breakfast buffet in the morning that includes eggs, biscuits, gravy, pancakes, sausage... and other various items. I was surprised they had "chorizo" available for breakfast - a nice touch that is an obvious sign of the hispanic influence in the area.
A few other positives:
1. Decent bed.
2. The phone rang at a good, quiet volume... not overly loud like other hotel phones.
3. Fridge in the room - this is becoming a must for all hotels I believe and I was surprised to see it in this hotel.
So in summary, not a bad hotel but nothing great. I would consider staying there again in the future, but only after trying one or two other hotels in the area first.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bozo700
Reviewed 21 June 2008

The hotel was clean but needed some repairs to room. The free breakfast was great!! There were a few rude customers staying at the same time we were...Also, there is a Sports Bar next door and it gets a little loud but it does gets quiet after 2am!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Postallady
Reviewed 17 June 2008

This property is being remodeled, and certainly is in need of it! Check-in was smooth, even though we were using our choice hotel points. Desk clerk was friendly. We were in room 205. I'm not sure which was stronger, the paint smell or the bleach in the sheets. The room had been cleaned, but my feet showed that the carpet was not really clean! If I had paid $125, which was the going rate at the time we checked in, I would have felt cheated. The breakfast was your typical motel breakfast, although they did have sausage, biscuits and gravy and some sort of patty looking thing that is supposed to be scrambled eggs. Coffee in the room was rancid, go downstairs and fill up! My extended family stayed at Super 8 next door and their breakfast was a joke compared to ours, so it could have been worse. Next year we will go back to the Comfort Inn, or stay at the new Embassy Suites that is not yet complete.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mombatDallas