“Elegant Thai” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
DSergi
“Elegant Thai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is the better of the 2 Thai places in San Marcos. The decor is elegant and they allow BYOB which is nice. The fried spring rolls and the stemmed wontons are delicious and delicate. The green curry is not over powering and they bring additional curry spice to the table id you want to spice it up even more.
The noodle dishes are perfectly done. Over all its as good as it gets in San Marcos.

Visited March 2014

Brownwood, Texas
“Much less than expected.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

First I need to specify that my wife and I eat Thai cuisine very often and have visited Thai restaurants all over Texas. We chose this restaurant based on the numerous good reviews posted on Trip Advisor.
We started the meal with Thai tea and fresh spring rolls. The tea was (to my taste) as good or better than I have had at any other eatery. The fresh spring rolls were adequate, but we have certainly had better.
My wife had Tom Kha Gai. It arrived with a hair on the edge of the bowl. (Seems I've read this complaint in a couple of other reviews here!) She didn't even mention this to me till later in the meal since it was on the edge. She simply removed it and continued eating! She did later comment on the hair and also that the chicken was so tuff and dry that she ate none of it!
I had the Pad Prik Pao. This is a dish that I order any time it's on a Thai menu. I have come to expect it to have a reasonably thick full bodied brown Thai sauce with at least a bit of heat to it. In this case the sauce was thin and sparse, and not much of it! Additionally, it had a very sweet taste to it (overly sweet!) and absolutely no "heat". Overall not at all pleasing.
This is certainly a restaurant that we will not be visiting again.

Austin, Texas
“Pleasant unexpected find.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We decided to stop in San Marcos on our way back to Austin from Gruene and cycle along one of the trails. Prik Nam Pla was just around the corner from Purgatory Creek Park where we rode our bikes. San Marcos is not very big, so we thought this was a great unexpected find. It was scorching outside, and it was nice and cool inside.

The atmosphere was simple but nice. It appeared to be a family operated business...not that common these days.

It was easy to get a table on the Saturday lunch just after July 4th. There were only a few other tables occupied while we were there.

We had a beef noodle dish and a curry. The food was nice and tasty, the price was very agreeable... and there was a very kitschy bog roll in the men's room....allowing for a fun photo op.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
San Marcos, Texas, United States
“Must try their Coconut Ice Cream!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I have been on a search for some good asian cuisine in San Marcos, and Prik Nam Pla is #1 by far. I have been to Thailand and no other restaurant comes closer to authentic Pad Thai than Prik Nam Pla, at least in San Marcos. Their food tastes fresh and is prepared with TLC, portion sizes are perfect, they have many vegetarian options, and the price is spot on for the quality food I received. My personal recommendation: should you have room for dessert, you MUST try their homemade coconut ice cream. OH MY GOD. It's ridiculously amazing.

The only downside to this resataurant is that it has some strange hours, I believe they close on some days at 6pm, and some days they aren't open at all :( Other than that, it's worth a try!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“I'll be back again and again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I've been here several times the wait staff have always been courteous, and every meal I've had has been cooked with the freshest ingredients. Absolutely delicious!!!