“Clean & Simple but you get what you pay for”

Howard Johnson San Marcos
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I was in San Marcos for a 4-day weekend visiting Hill Country and the Howard Johnson in San Marcos received very positive reviews and can't be beat in terms of the price given I stayed there for 3 nights.

My room was very clean. No bugs. The A/C was turned off upon arrival but after turning it on, it worked during the rest of my stay. There was a fridge and even an ironing board! Overall for the price I paid I was very happy with the service and hard product I received during my stay. The ceilings are quite low and in the room I stayed in, 203, it rarely got natural light since the window was slim and narrow. But again, for the price I paid I'm fine with it.

The best was the breakfast! They had a Texas-shaped waffle maker that was pretty cool!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
kim8610, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your business and please contact me if I can ever be of assistance.mike patel general manager

Reviewed 26 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Our two night stay was good for the price. The room was clean and service good.. A floor lamp was not working, and the management replaced it immediately. We found the front office and breakfast area clean and well
decorated.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My normal hotel was booked for the weekend so I booked Howard Johnson because the price was similar and the location was close to where I usually stay I was disappointed in the curb appeal and the rooms. The rooms were very dark and the ceilings were very low. I found what appeared to be a very dried up earthworm under the sheets in my bed. The bathroom had a jetted bathtub that you had to be crazy to turn on. When I asked for a couple of additional towels and wash clothes, I was told they could only give me one of each because they others were being washed. This was at 11pm at night. The carpet has several tears in it throughout the room. The one bright spot was the free breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience at our hotel.

We apologize for the poor service you received from our staff during your stay. That is definitely not up to the standards we set for customer service, and corporate has been notified. We will be investigating this matter to ensure poor service such as this does not continue. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me mike patel at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
kim8610, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was my first visit and I was pleasantly surprised. I will definitely use these accomodations when I come to visit my daughter. It is close to her apartment and in close proximity to shopping, restaurants and other San Marcos attractions.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Camille S

Reviewed 22 August 2013

This was my first time to ever stay at a Howard Johnson Hotel. I would say it was more of a motel instead of a hotel. (You just don't expect much from a Motel). I paid $135 for one night and for the same price I could have stayed at a more upgraded/updated "Hotel". However the service folks were very kind. The room was just very old and although is appeared clean at first glimps, it just didn't feel germ-free clean. It wouldn't hurt if they had the carpets shampood or something to help with the damp smell. It's certainly time for them to purchase new matteresses for the room I was in! The parking situation was horrible. There wasn't enough parking spaces for all the guest. All-in-all I would stay there again only if other hotels in the area have no available vacancies.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo