“Great Place for Extended Stays”
Review of Candlewood Suites

Candlewood Suites
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I have stayed in this facility on numerous occasions when traveling to the area for work. It is clean comfortable and has all the amenities I need when I have to be away from home for a week or more. If your job requires you to be away from home for any length of time, I highly recommend this facility. The customer service is exceptional, the rooms are clean and the building is located close to everything. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you need a place to stay for more than one night. This is the right place.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Big_Country_Dave
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Big_Country_Dave,

Thank you for your review! We love to hear when guests truly enjoy their experience with us and overjoyed to know we provided you with exceptional service! Let us know next time you're headed to the area and continue to enjoy the IHG Brand hotels! Till then, safe travels!

There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Ugh....this hotel felt incredibly cheap and cheesy to me. This is a workmans overnight stay not a family vacation getaway. Between the barking dog in a room down the hall to the trains ALL NIGHT LONG, we got out of there asap. Oh and no breakfast either. The elevator is slow, the hallways are HOT, the towels are stiff....never again!

• Stayed: June 2013
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear AprilFlowers423,

We apologize for your unsatisfactory stay. We are working on a silence ordinance with the city to quiet the trains at the train crossing and wish we could have done something to deter the dog next door from barking. We'd like to let you know a little bit about the Candlewood Suites brand of IHG. We are an extended stay hotel, and it is our deepest apologies you were not informed of this at check in. With the extended stay model, housekeeping service is done once every 7 days and we do not have a free hot continental breakfast, rather breakfast items for purchase in the 24/7 Candlewood Cupboard. This is also why each suite comes with a fully equipped kitchen. We would love the opportunity to make your next stay 1000% better, so next time you're headed to San Marcos, give myself or the General Manager a call. Till then safe travels and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

While trying to check-in we were advised that the hotel didn't have a reservation for us....oh wait they did find it but they said it was for September (3 months away). What? The girl behind the desk was adamant that we did not book a room for that day. But, when I pulled out a printed confirmation and showed her, things started to change. The manager walks up and says he will make things right and finds us a room. Under her breath the girl tells the Manager that they will be overbooked..... First impressions mean a lot and this started off bad.

We got into the room and were pleased with how nice they were. The reviews on noise are spot on, the traffic sounds from I 35 will keep light sleepers up all night until exhaustion sets in. Wish I knew about the earplugs. One thing trending that I don't like is the AC units cutting completly off when the set temperature has been reached. I like the fan to run continuously, cuts down on outside noise. Oh well, you have been advised, good travels to you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wendell S
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Wendell S,

I'd like to apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. It appears there had been a clerical error made prior to your check in through the system. However, we also agree first impressions are everything, and we hope to make it up to you on your next trip to San Marcos. As for the outside noise, we'll be sure to also have a pair of earplugs waiting for you upon your arrival! We are working on getting a silence ordinance on the train from the city at this time. Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I travel to San Marcos often with my family and must tell you four years ago there was not many choices for staying in a nice clean and friendly hotel. That all changed with the Candlewood Suites which I chose to stay in December. Since that time, on coming to San Marcos, my only choice of stay is Candlewood. The checkout is smooth and friendly, the room is large, smells clean, and the beds are more comfortable than my own bed. There is many listings regarding the train, however not once did I hear the train and I live out in the country! I slept soundly and the next morning was refreshed with a delicious cup of coffee. The staff go above and beyond required service. On my first check-in, the staff took the time to provide me a tour of the room and proudly showed off their hotel. If you like the outdoors, the hotel provides you a picnic area by the pool with a beautiful grill and sitting area for you to enjoy your meal by yourself or with family. This hotel is pet friendly which is allows you to bring your entire family to include your four pawed friends. Any needs you need, they have it in their check out library. If they don't have it, the staff make every attempt to assist you in meeting your needs.

I happily recommend Candlewood to all my friends and family rather it is an overnighter, a week long stay or long term. I assure you - staying at Candlewood in San Marcos assures you a five stay fantastic stay and an enjoyable stay in San Marcos, Texas.

Room Tip: Enjoy the pool and grill!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank EastTexasPetrescuer
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Shannon W.,

Thank you for all your kind words! We work hard here at The Candlewood Suites to give our guests an unforgettable, enjoyable experience (even to our four legged guests!). Come back and see us soon Shannon! Safe travels!

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Hotel was thrown together. Lots of unfinished projects even six months after opening. The rooms were clean when I checked in however house keeping didn't continue while I was there. They constantly skipped my room and never came back and even when they did "clean" it was only new towels. I put a bottle cap in the middle of the room to see if they ever vaccumed or swept and two months later when I left I picked that bottle cap up and put it in the trash myself. I had to borrow the vaccum and cleaning supplies after hours to clean my own room! VERY LOUD HOTEL!!! Paper thin walls, I-35 on the front side with constant traffic 100 feet away, and train tracks 50 yards away on the back side. I counted 11 trains blowing their horns on the way by between midnight and 6 a.m. They do give you ear plugs so I guess that a plus... No free breakfast but they're happy to sell you a $4 power bar in the morning. Just don't stay here, there are comperable alternatives that are close by and a lot bette.r

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

On behalf of our entire staff at Candlewood Suites, we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience while staying with us. I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.
We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations. If you need to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact the hotel directly or email us at sales@candlewoodsanmarcos.com.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I would highly recommend to avoid this hotel. When you check in they offer you ear plugs. Trust me if you do stay there you will need them. The hotel is sandwiched between a major highway and railroad tracks that are heavily traveled. To add to the noise the hotel is built out of cardboard. Another issue is the cleaning staff are horrible. I stayed at this hotel for 3 months and not once did I see a cleaning staff use a mop to clean floors. I use hairspray and by the end of my stay my feet were sticking to the bathroom floor horribly. There was also mold growing around my shower.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Judy J
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Dear Judy J,

We are deeply apologetic about your stay. I want you to know we have taken care of the small patch of mold. We found that the shower head had been leaking due to a lack of proper sealing around it on the inside. We removed the molded area and replaced the shower head with a proper seal. We made sure all other shower heads were properly installed and no mold was found. Once again, we have been working hard to get the train silenced since we opened. Its unfortunate it is a long process. We cannot apologize enough for how it may have affected your sleep. We are also working with housekeeping on continually being sure they sweep and mop on "Full Clean" days. They have made fabulous improvements, and we apologize for the lack there of during your stay. Next time you're in town, give us a call and we'll make your next stay a better experience! Thank you for your review and safe travels!

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites for one night, hoping to get a good night's sleep. Unfortunately, my room faced the railroad tracks and the trains came through all night, blowing horns. Also, I was disappointed to find that the hotel didn't provide hair dryers in the rooms. The hotel itself and staff were very nice. Rooms were spacious and had everything else I needed. I would stay again, but will remember to pack earplugs and my own hair dryer next time!

Room Tip: Request a room opposite the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear Travel_Mommyof2,

We want to apologize for the lack of a goodnight's sleep while staying with us! 47 trains a day come through San Marcos, and we are constantly battling the horns. Next time you're in San Marcos and staying with us, stop by the front desk before bedtime, and we'll be sure to provide you and yours with earplugs.

We also want to apologize for the missing hairdryer in your room. Each room comes equipped with a hairdryer, so this poses as a mystery to us as well!

However, we are happy to hear you enjoyed the facility and our stellar staff. Your next trip to San Marcos, give us a call! We'll have a better stay waiting for you.

Thank you for your review and safe travels!