“Okay”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Deweyville, Texas, United States
“Okay”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The room was clean. The bed was uncomfortable as were the pillows. The staff was very friendly and accomadating. The main complaint I have is that the A/C didn't cool to our standards and was noisy. We like a constant 69 degrees when we sleep. Also, we were in the first room by the elevators on the ground floor and there was no noise barrior. Everytime the elevator dinged or someone was talking it woke us up.

In short, it's okay just don't stay by the elevator.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Bryan J.,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our staff and noticed the great work of our Housekeeping team! We apologize for the inconvenience regarding the elevator and A/C. There is a sensor in all the rooms that pickups movement to continue running the A/C. With us being a Green Engage hotel, we keep energy 'saved'. However, next time you're in town, let us know and we can turn off the sensor in your room so the A/C will run continuously! We'll also be sure and leave some feather pillows in your room and place you in a room at the end of the hall, away from the elevator! Safe travels till next time!

- Amanda W., DOS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Gatesville, Texas, United States
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This hotel is brand new and very clean. You walk into your room and smell the newness. The hotel’s décor is contemporary with tasteful color designs and furniture.
The beds were soft, crisp clean linens and a very comfortable mattress.
The kitchenette (in every room) was fully equipped with dishes, pots, microwave, dishwasher etc. The bathroom was clean and bright. The room’s A/C was quiet.
I personally would have preferred room service over a kitchenette. After all I was on vacation. Also the train came by at 9:16 AM (quite loud). The guests above my room were loud, stomping or walking heavily half through the night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Manuela W
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Manuela W,

We appreciate you taking the time to stop by our page and write a review on your stay with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed the facility and our many amenities. We apologize for not having room service. Being an extended stay brand, our chain does not provide that amenity. However! We have placed a takeout menu in every room where they may (at your discretion) deliver directly to your room from your favorite restaurant! We are also working hard with the city to get the silence ordinance for this area. The trains honk because the crossing is just behind our building. We're hoping they start working on this project as soon as possible as it has been a lengthy process. Let us know next time your in town and we'll be sure and put you on the east facing side of the hotel. Hope to see you again soon! Safe travels till then!

H
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We came to this hotel for a family gathering. It was clean, the staff was courteous, and had nice spacious bathroom. There was not a continental breakfast and there was train that came by both nights we were there, but overall a nice hotel. It was a little pricey for what they offered.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Hello S B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us! Fantastic to hear you enjoyed the facility and our staff. As for our offering a free hot continental breakfast, we are actually one of two IHG's extended stay hotel brands. With that being said, our model for Candlewood is a purchase market in the lobby, free coffee 24/7 and housekeeping once very 7 days. However, we do have several fantastic breakfast eateries around the hotel close by. We'll be sure and get that list to ya next time you're here! We do apologize for the train. We are working with the city on getting a silence ordinance for the train coming through the overpass. Should have it by January. We look forward to seeing you again in the future! Safe travels till then!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I made a 2 night reservation at the beginning of August for a 2 night stay at this hotel for the 9/27/13 weekend. My husband & I are are going to visit our granddaughter who is attending Texas State University and also attend the football game. I changed the reservation yesterday, 9/22, to arrive on Saturday instead of Friday, so we will only be staying one night. Imagine my surprise when I received a call this morning from the hotel telling me they did not have a room for me. I was told that they are booked and are accomodating their existing guests, it is a busy weekend. Interesting that if I had come in on Friday they would have been able to accomodate us on Saturday. I was speechless since all the hotels in San Marcos are now sold out. The hotel representative offered to make a reservation for us in New Braunfels at the Candlewood Suites which is 20 minutes away, and not even for the type room we requested. Since it seems to be our only option at this point and we have had this weekend planned for a couple months, we are going to have to stay in New Braunfels. However, we will never book again with Candlewood Suites. What a great first impression, right!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
amandawilkscws, General Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear NinNin2013,
Thank you for your comments regarding your pre-stay. We were very sorry to have to call guest and inform them that we would not be able to accommodate their reservations. But, at the same time we were trying to be proactive in our approach.

We felt that by informing guest prior and moving them to another hotel with them knowing it would be much better than them arriving only to find out that we are walking them to another hotel. Which at that point the different hotel could have been a farther distance from the New Braunfels hotel.

Thank you again!
Mike V
Levelland, Texas
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Me and my dog were treated like royalty. I had all the amenities of being at home. I loved the little kitchen. Very comfortable room and the cupboard was great to pick up snacks when I ran out of groceries. I also enjoyed checking out games to play in free time. I would definitely stay there again. It was absolutely five star I wouldn't change a thing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JimAnn B
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear JimAnn B,

What a spectacular Review! Your review covers all about us... the extended stay brand that makes you feel at home, even for your four-legged friends! Hahaha! Thank you for the taking the time to comment on your time with us. Next time your headed to San Marcos, let us know! We'll make sure we have a treat waiting for the furry one ;) Safe travels!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Employees were really friendly & nice. My husband & I were suppose to check in on Saturday but got my days mixed up & the gentleman at the front with no problem approved us to check in on Friday! Rooms were spacious & clean. If I needed to stay at this hotel again I definitely would, & oh yeah you couldn't hear any train station or noise from the highway! Awsome hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank StephieeLeandra
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear StephieeLeandra,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed it and that our staff was accommodating! We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Safe travels and continue enjoying the IHG and Candlewood Suites Brand!

San Antonio
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed overnight due to an event in town and didn't want to drive home. I found the suite to be spacious and clean. The bed was very comfy. I read that others complained about the train horn. Yes, I heard it but it didn't "Wake" me up. Never heard the elevator ding dong either. Slept very peacefully. Pillows were comfortable too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank funkikker
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Funkikker!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed it and look forward to your return! Safe travels till then!