“hotel okay but not special”

Comfort Suites Near Texas State University
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 28 May 2013

we stayed here on a recent trip to the outlet malls in San Marcos. Our room was fine, our daughter's room had a problem with the water and she and her husband had to come to our room for their shower. Our air conditiner wouldn't shut off and we had to have maintenance come and figure out how to shut it off. Price wasn't bad but with the water issue, i would think we would have gotten some type of refund. Clean but not spectacular, nice but not really nice. Okay for one night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lwc55
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Near Texas State University

Reviewed 12 September 2012

IWe stayed here while in San Marcos attending a college tour. I don't know if we got the bad room because we booked through Expedia or what. (Even booking with Expedia, it was $129!) The room needed painting, the fold out bed what disgusting and don't even get me started on the bathroom. I laid towels down all over the floor so I didn't have to look at it! The little refridgerator in the room was so loud, I had to unplug it so sleep. I am still kicking myself for actually staying there and not checking out to find another hotel. YUK!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Found this place after taking a glimpse of the Econo Lodge on the other side of the freeway (looked very dated, rundown and more like an hourly place) and decided to pay the going rate for comfort as we've always been more than happy but not so much with this 1 night stay. On the outside, the hotel seems like it was a upgraded hotel however not so much. Cameron, the front desk attendant was very kind and helpful. The entrance and breakfast/food area appeared to be only upgraded areas of the hotel. The room was decent but nothing spectacular as we were so happy to be on the first floor we were very disappointed by the amount of noise from the room next door and the constant door slamming starting about 6a with people coming in and out of their rooms - so much for sleeping in. Next time, I might just pass up on getting points for my Choice Privileges and take a chance at one of the other hotels surrounding this Comfort Suites.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

Checked in at midnight after long drive. Computers down so they had to hand write everything. There were 2 other families waiting. Got to room and key wouldn't work. Went back down twice and finally they switched our room.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here with 3 other friends in the same room in Aug. 2012. The room was fine, clean, no problems, A/C worked, shower was good, etc. It was nothing special, but nothing wrong, either. The front desk workers were very nice, and I liked getting a cookie when we came in starving before heading to dinner. That was a nice touch.

The breakfast was good and had a nice variety of things to eat and lots of places to sit. The pool was in a funny place in the front of the hotel with lots of highway noise and not many chairs (like 6 or so), so not the best pool. It was $155/night, which is pricey. Since there were 4 of us, it was reasonable, and the queen-sized beds were the reason I chose this hotel. But, for 2 people, I wouldn't stay here or pay so much money. It's very convenient for toobing in Gruene/New Braunfels and shopping at the Outlets in San Marcos. I'd stay here again with 3 others in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We chose the Comfort Suites for a weekend get away with our granddaughter because they mentioned in room refrigerator and microwave. The room was comfortable and clean, but Paw-Paw had to keep adjusting the air conditioner during the night. The refrigerator was only cool, even after adjusting the temperature. What I didn’t like the most was the lighting the bathroom. Seems the last few hotels we’ve stayed in have dimed the lights in the bathroom. Must be an attempt to save energy, but what it does is make it hard to gave a bath or put your face on. If you think about it, it also makes it harder to see any filth. It’s one thing to skip changing the linen to save energy; it’s another to cut out the lights.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We got stuck without reservations, so were looking for anything, and ended up staying here, so I could at least earn some Choice points. Their rack rate is more than we usually pay for just a one night stay, so I was thinking it would be nicer than the places we would stay, but i was wrong. It wasn't any nicer than most of the lower priced hotels, though I can't say we had a bad experience. The breakfast included waffles, their version of an omelet, and sausage, and the facility was clean enough., and the room wasn't stinky. At least the stay went toward a free night, if I stay in a Choice hotel one more time before the middle of May. Bottom line, there are other hotels just as nice for a lot less if you book in advance. The front desk personnel were very friendly, and it has a very small outdoor pool.

Room Tip: We stayed very near the front desk, which was convenient, but I could hear the phone ring all night.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple