“Excellent time Kayaking in San Marcos” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Olympic Outdoor Center

Olympic Outdoor Center
Ranked #4 of 10 Tours in San Marcos
More attraction details
Owner description: Olympic Outdoor Center leads a variety of daily recreational water activities geared toward providing irresistible fun for everyone. Enjoy a day -- or just an afternoon -- of Kayaking, Fishing, Stand Up Paddling (SUP), Canoeing, Surfing, and more in the beautiful, clear waters of San Marcos Springs. We are committed to providing you with the best programs available by immersing ourselves in the activities that we offer. No matter your age or abilities, you will enjoy personalized attention from our skilled instructors. Come see why paddling is the best way to get outside in Texas with more river trails, beautiful scenery, and good company than anything else in the state!
Waxahachie, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent time Kayaking in San Marcos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Had an excellent time learning the basics of White Water Kayaking in San Marcos! Was there with a group of Boy Scouts for a high adventure trip. The instruction was incredible - Ben knows how to teach kayaking! Our troop has been there twice in the previous 5 years, and each time it was an event of a lifetime! We will be back!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Scouter_Kevin

Houston, Texas
“Awesome experience especially for kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Highly recommend the summer camp for kids. We have three boys who have done it three different years. Ben and his crew are awesome with the kids. The kids always have a good time and really improve their technique. We want to get our scout troop to do a trip with the Outdoor Center!

Visited August 2012
Dallas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“One stop shop for kayaking...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Beginner or advanced, recreational or competitor, backyard or adventurous traveling paddler, the POC has the proven experience to either build your confidence and skills or guide you on one of many "once in a lifetime" adventure trips here in the U.S. or abroad.

I should know this as I started as a novice five years ago. Through excellent tutelage, my skills and confidence have exceeded my own expectations. I've completed four trips with this coach/outfitter to Colorado and as far North as Pennsylvania and as far South as Mexico, a place I never thought I would enjoy. So glad Ben introduced me to not just kayaking but my inner confident and adventurous-self.

Prices incredibly reasonable for caliber of instructor. Pick any other sport, and you won't touch an Olympic competitor turned coach for less than $100/hr.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank WaterDivaHolly
The Woodlands, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Rarely do you find world class athletes who can teach beginners the best techniques and make it so much fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

White water kayaking in San Marcos River Between San Antonio and Austin in spring fed river makes this a good place to learn white water kayaking any time of year. The water is around 75 degrees year round so it feels cool in the summer and warm in the winter--strange feeling to put your hands in the water to warm them up on a cold winter day--also the river flows year round with the perfect size rapids to learn and have fun on.

My kids and I took our first lesson from Ben and Michelle Kvanli about 3 years ago and have been hooked ever since--every chance I get I go kayaking with them either in Texas on one of the trips they have to the classic rivers around the US, Canada, Mexico, Guatemals...I think the thing I like the most about kayaking is you can have so much excitement, fun and do stuff you never thought you could do even as a beginner.
The other thing that keeps me going back is the people--the Veterans that they work with who were wounded in Iraq(the only way you can tell they only have one leg when they are in a kayak is you see there other leg strapped to the back of their buddy's boat), the Jr. Olympians they teach and the other Olympic hopefuls they train with.
If you only have a day you can have a lot of fun, but to learn to eskimo roll and really get a kick it is better to take the weekend course. Then if you like it, which is pretty certain, the trips are real economical and about the only thing you need to do is bring your bathing suit and a sense of adventure.

4 Thank BarryGay
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

I went down there for their "Classic Weekend", $260 for two days on the river plus they throw in 3 hours of roll instruction for free on Friday night. I had Ben as an instructor all weekend and he was spectacular. I can't say enough good things about the two of them and the shop they run. We lucked out and got amazing rain for days prior and awesome river conditions. If you do one thing in Texas, go take a whitewater class from them!! Plus then you can brag that you learned to kayak with Olympians!

2 Thank bsteers