“Great Stay”

Best Western San Marcos
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Cheaper than New Braunfels area! It was the perfect place for our family for a weekend trip! Nice staff, clean room, comfy bed that you do not expect from a small hotel, good breakfast and overall great place. We would stay here again! Oh and the pool stays open till 11:00pm. Most close at 10:00. **It is located at the end of the building and there was no noise heard:)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Brandie,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience. Our goal is to create a memorable stay for our guest and we are able to do so with you. Thank you for choosing our hotel and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My family of 5 ALL slept horribly last night. The bed felt like it was made out of brick and all the pillows were hard and felt like they were about a foot thick. Waste of money; I'll hafta think twice about staying at a B. W. again any time soon.

• Stayed: July 2013
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for taking time to write about your experience at our property. We are sorry about your bad experience, we strive to serve our guest with the best of everything, however your experience did not match our goal. Though our bedding and pillows are recently changed and fairly new and we have been getting lot of compliment of how comfortable our beds are but your experience has definitely helped us to look into it. Thank you once again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

It was adequate. It seemed clean enough but the hallway smelled weird. We were promptly moved to another room when our first didn't have a good A/C. Breakfast was less than expected. The toaster didnt work but the coffee was decent. My husband's waffle looked fine. Hotel was definitely overpriced at $89-ish.

• Stayed: July 2013
Mike P, Owner at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear CheriR,

Thank you so much for choosing our Best Western for your lodging needs. We always strive to be so much more than simply "adequate" and we invite you back to experience the "Wow!" of it all!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I made my reservation before several of the reviews right before mine were completed. I found the hotel to be very quiet. Yes, the tub dripped but you couldn't hear it unless you were in the bathroom and therefore it wasn't a nuisance. The room was very clean and neat. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was okay they had some hot items-(eggs, make-your-own waffles), toast, bagels, and cereal. We didn't use the pool. It was slightly higher than I expected, but assumed it was due to the location. The staff I had interaction with were friendly and helpful. I stayed there two nights while my daughter took a tour of the Texas State University. I will stay there again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear janet79720,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write your review! It is a pleasure to know that we met your lodging needs and provided you with a clean, comfortable room.

Always keep us in mind when you are visiting your daughter while she is away at college!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I used some of my rewards points for 2 rooms at this property and as soon as I checked in I realized it was a mistake. The desk clerk was outside smoking for one. When I asked if it was better to enter through the back entrance because it was closer she said not really. I explained my fiancé was on oxygen and could not walk very far or stand for long periods and she said that it could take up to 15 or 20 tries to get in the door because the mechanism is tricky. I then remembered this from a previous stay 2 years ago. She gave me a room closer to the lobby. There was not guest directory in the room and I went to the front desk to ask about that and stood there calling out for someone a few times when gentleman told me they were outside smoking again. She didn't even apologize and I was told to look in the nightstand. I have stayed in enough places to know where to look. She said they would bring one to the room. We left to visit friends and returned late. The next morning I had to call the front desk to find out the breakfast hours because we never got a directory nor did my sister who was staying in another room.. I did find 2 outdated phone books in the drawer. One date 2011 yellow pages and another for the 2011-2012 period. I also found a Travelhost magazine for Austin TX dated Nov-Jan. There wasn't even a pen or pencil in the room to write anything down (for a reason I presume).

Room Tip: Don't; take a room by the rear entrance.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear marksw12,

I am so very sorry that the front desk clerk displayed such an uncaring attitude. I have spoken with the person in question and she has been reprimanded. As to the issue of the Directory, each of our rooms should have one which would give a wealth of information regarding our property as well as the San Marcos area. Extra copies of the directories were not accessible to the front desk at that time.

The side entrance has been an issue for quite some time. We have repeatedly replaced the card reader and have even had a technician on-site to try and diagnose the problem, to no avail. As to the issue of you not having a pen and paper in your room, this is something that I have addressed with the Housekeeping staff.

I would love to invite you back for another stay at our hotel to show you that we do put our guest's needs first!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel is just average, meaning it's overpriced for what you get. The beds were comfortable and the breakfast was pretty good. However, the air conditioner sounded like an airplane was flying overhead, the toilet flushing sounded like a bomb exploding, and the bathroom fan sounded like an air force jet flying overhead (and didn't even remove the fog from the mirror!). The bathtub faucet dripped (I see another reviewer complained about this--still not fixed). And lastly, in this day and age of household cleaning products, there is NO reason to see mold in the bathtub and on the ceiling! Yuck! All the hotels in the area are overpriced, so if you don't want to spend over $100, this will suffice. Just bring the earplugs.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear baseballmom2012,

It is obvious that we fell short of our duties regarding the proper maintenance and cleanliness of your room. For this please accept my heartfelt apologies. Rest assured that the leaking tub. the a/c and the toilet issues have been addressed and the loud exhaust fan is in the process of being replaced.

The comfort of our guests has always been, and will remain, our number one priority. I hope you will give us a chance to serve your lodging needs in the future!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We went to the area for a wedding. The San Marcos hotels had more availability for rooms w/ 2 beds and cheaper than New Braunfels. We arrived and the lady at the desk was kind, gave us water and chips for free, gave us towels to use the pool. The room looked okay but had a smokey smell (was supposed to be non-smoking). The tv remote was missing a battery and couldn't be used. No big deal, I planned to call the front desk but the phone wasn't working! My husband went to the front and they replaced the battery and gave us a new phone cord/jack. It was all fine. The tub faucet dripped all night, even though we tried to stop it. Their were cracks in the walls and on the counter (it had been repaired). Breakfast was average, eggs, pastries, coffee, etc. Not a bad place at all but the price should have been around $70, not $105. The people above us stomped all early morning long so we couldn't sleep but that certainly isn't the hotels fault. It was clean enough, just not as nice as other places for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear QTCat,

I am sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations. It was, however, good to know that your remote and phone issues were handled quickly and effeiciently. The drip in the tub has been repaired and you will be pleased to know that in the very near future we will be replacing all of our dated vanity tops with new marble. We are excited to bring to our guests a fresh, new look!

I hope you return to see us soon so that we may be given the opportunity to exceed your expectations!