“great beet burger” 5 of 5 bubbles

Root Cellar Cafe
Ranked #2 of 264 Restaurants in San Marcos
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“great beet burger”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Lovely food and wonderful atmosphere. Had the daily special: veggie beat burger with goat cheese pesto. A bit pricey for lunch but delicious. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Kerrville, Texas
“A New York cuisine in a hamburger and beer town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The menu was wonderful. My wife had swordfish. I had a wonderfully seasoned pork chop and the best grilled asparagus I have ever had anywhere in the world. The wine list was good. The atmosphere was a little sparse but it is a cellar and the building was built more than a century ago. It is the best place to eat a real meal. You can get a burger and a beer anywhere, but the chef and the staff were first class. They make all their own sauces AND dressings and the vingarette was wonderful on the dinner salad! The turtlecheese cake and keylime pie were just as wonderful as the dinner. Go hungry and waddled out!

Visited May 2014
Martindale
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Root Cellar is by far my favorite resturant in San Marcos Tx!! Breakfast, lunch and dinner menu's are fabulous

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“I've only been here once because it was so bad.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I was visiting SM and had heard good things about the Root Cellar. I decided to check it out, and was not impressed. I placed my order with a quite rude waitress wearing the red lipstick, and she straight ignored me til my food was ready. Once I got the order I took one bite and immediately told her it was wrong, and that I ordered something else. I wasn't being condescending, I just wanted the correct food. She then just looks me and tells me that I was wrong abd I ordered the delivered dish. We get into a small argument, I eventually get the correct food. She made me feel dumb and unimportant. Horrible over priced food, and even worse service. Whatever.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Jessica V
San Antonio, TX
“Always Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We live in nearby New Braunfels, and often drive to San Marcos to eat at The Root Cellar Cafe. The food is fresh, healthy, and quite good. The menu offers a nice selection to please a variety of tastes. We have only tried the breakfast entrees, salads, and sandwiches, but have never been disappointed. The servers are friendly and helpful, answering any questions you might have. Casual atmosphere, it is always a pleasant experience! Right now they are doing a lot of work on the streets downtown, so you will have to park and walk a little ways, but well worth it. The new sidewalk in front provides room for more outdoor seating!

• Visited May 2014