“Nice place in the city but out of the hotel zone”
Review of Crystal River Inn

Crystal River Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 San Marcos B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My wife and I stayed there this past weekend and really enjoyed almost everything about the place. Funny thing Im not really a B&B kinda guy. Im more of a highend hotel person but there arent any in San Marcos...the only half way nice hotels are out by the Outlet Malls and and I certainly didnt want to get into that.
We found the staff friendly and the rooms clean. We given breakfast both mornings and it was good both days. They even have free WiFi for their guests
The location cant be beat...its just a couple blocks from The Square. Still close enough to enjoy the Entertainment District but far enough away not to be bothered by the noise or crowds.
Over all a very nice experience and we look forward to going back

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
CrystalRiverInn, Public Relations Manager at Crystal River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Thank you very much for allowing us to change you perspective on B&Bs. We are very grateful for your warm feedback. Please know, if you are ever in San Marcos again, you have a place to stay here at The Crystal River Inn.

There are newer reviews for Crystal River Inn

Reviewed 25 September 2012

I had a wonderful time in San Marcos. A big highlight was staying at the Crystal River Inn with my family and friends. Our double room was comfortable and cozy and the staff friendly as ever, like home away from home or maybe even better. What I will remember most about my stay was the delicious breakfasts I had each morning with my family and friends. What a memorable week!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have never stayed at a B&B before and now I know I'm ruined for the rest of my life. Where to begin? Great rooms? Absolutely. FABULOUS breakfast? Every day! Some of the nicest people I've EVER had the pleasure of meeting? Yes, yes, yes! This is the kind of place I imagine heaven being like. Don't miss it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Crystal River Inn is a gem of a place. The rooms are comfy, the staff is welcoming, the breakfast is delicious! I have had the opportunity to stay there three times now and have ALWAYS had a delightful, peaceful time. If ever you are in that neck of the woods, I highly recommend you stay at the Crystal River Inn.

Room Tip: I personally like the ones just off the veranda.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Just returned from eight wonderful days at the Crystal River Inn. My sister was there to work on her play; Mom and I were there for a much needed family vacation. Each day started with a delicious breakfast, good coffee and absolutely the most friendly and attentive staff ever. They even shared their recipe for the carrot cake pancakes with orange marmalade that were to die for! The spacious accommodations felt like home away from home. The Inn was also conveniently located a block away from a major grocery store, allowing us to shop and eat in and enjoy our comfy space and each other even more. The best outlet mall in the US is just a 50cent bus ride away. I'm figuring out a way to get back to both real soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the San Marcos Room, with included two hugh rooms housing a king size canopy bed, two...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We were so looking forward to our "get-away" to San Marcus; we had made reservations based on internet reviews. However, by the time we arrived, I had become quite ill and had to return home immediately (5 hrs each way). We advised the manager and while very nice, they still charged us!!! Though the town was "sold out" for Texas State graduation that weekend, they were apparently unable to re-let the room?? We will be advising everyone not to book the Crystal River Inn (no river anywhere in sight). And by the way, the room decor was quite worn and tired and the room was extremely noisy (street noise). No one could sleep through that.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nana0119
dillons10, Owner at Crystal River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

It was a surprise to read this review. The couple who wrote it told us they were leaving not because of the room or because the wife was ill, but because she had forgotten her medicines and was afraid she might become ill without them. I (Cathy the owner) am a registered nurse with a lot of connections in that regard, and could surely have gotten them replaced for her, but the husband declined, saying “no, she just has to go home”. There was absolutely no mention of unhappiness with the inn. In fact, I asked that exact question, and he was upbeat and reassuring, saying that everything was perfectly fine, they were leaving only because of the medicine issue and he was very disappointed to do that.
Our long-standing policy with regard to premature departures is to charge only for the night in question, never for the following night even if we have to “eat it”; and if the night in question can be filled at the last minute, of course there is no charge at all. The husband said he felt that was only fair, and readily signed the one-night charge ticket. If we had been able to fill it later that night, we would have just torn up his ticket, but no such luck.
As to their negative comments about the room itself, it is of note that the Sept 7 review titled "home away from home" was written by a sophisticated young California businesswoman who stayed for a week in the same exact room that these people apparently disliked. It is one of our most popular rooms, because it has its own kitchen and its own separate entrance. If he had even hinted that the real problem was that she didn't like their room (they had picked it in advance online), we’d have offered another. We want our guests to be happy!

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Four couples (friends from college) stayed together in the Thomas House, next door to the main house during a Texas State football weekend. We all agreed that there were good and bad aspects to the Crystal River Inn. The good: The breakfasts were amazing! The patio in back was a great gathering spot and we even invited some other friends to join us there after the game where we enjoyed visiting and enjoying our own refreshments. The staff was very friendly and offered advice on restauants close by. It was nice to have the upstairs part of the Thomas House all to ourselves. The not so good: The traffic noise, noise from the bar next to the main house and trains were so loud that sleep was next to impossible. We had one of the "quieter" rooms, the San Miguel, but to us, it wasn't quiet, at all. The place could use a good deep cleaning (wipe down the front porch railings, so at least guests could lean against it without getting dirty, since there are only 2 rocking chairs out there) and removal of the plastic, dust covered plants in the bathroom. The first night the linens on our bed were a polyester type fabric... NOT comfortable. The second day, I asked the housekeeper to replace the linens with cotton sheets and she did, to her credit. The facility should also have a room with a TV for groups to gather. The "library" is the only place available and they play music from the 1940s and 1950s on the stereo. They could also use some additional outdoor furniture on the front porches and the back patio so that more than 4 guests can gather.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends