“Location was good n staff very helpful”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed at this motel for our mini vacation. We had two family so we had multiple rooms. Both rooms were clean n smelled fresh. It was not that costly motel so we had a great deal. Location was perfect as we came for shopping n downtown . All staff was great helpful n friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 11 April 2013

We have stayed for 3 nights in March during the spring break. The Hotel was dirty. No hot water to take shower with. The TV remote control didn't work. Didn't have extra plows. Don't get fooled by continental breakfast. You would get only danish roll. Coffee was taste awful. Overall, it's not a cool place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Well, I guess for $80 you can't expect much, BUT hot water would be nice, right? Went with another couple. Our room was fine. There room not so much. The first room they were placed in the air conditioner didn't work. Moved to another room - it REEKED of gasoline. Complained, but there were no more available rooms, so decided to suffer through. They had to leave the window open all night. In the morning, they had no hot water. Complained to management and they said they would make a note - not much satisfaction there. If you're not picky and just need a spot to sleep and shower, then this could be the spot for you.

Room Tip: Get on the back side of the hotel, away from highway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2013

get what you pay for. tv wasnt working. only one light was working. look to see why. the outlet was out of the wall. unplugged tv and tried new plug and worked. sheets need to be changed out. made me second guess gettin in bed. i dont have pets and ended up with dog hair on my clothes there. was not cool. and best part. was going to bathroom and to only find with in the first 5 mins of being there, pubes on the tub railing. yea if u stay in 118 let me know if its still there...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2013

On the positive side, this motel has a good location. It's close to downtown San Marcos, and walking distance from the bus/train station, which is the reason I stayed here. The staff was nice and accommodated most of my requests.

However... the room was dirty, the bed was very uncomfortable, and the pool was dirty. And what they advertise as free breakfast was just Danishes, which you could warm up in the microwave, orange juice, and something which I could only assume was meant to be coffee. It made me gag. Thankfully, there was a Krispy Kreme just across the parking lot. If you're considering staying here, don't take the free breakfast into account.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I've stayed at this motel with a group two times on our way back from missions trips to México. In March 2011 (first floor rooms facing the street), it seemed quite the average motel—nothing to grin about, but nothing to complain about either.

However, in June 2012 (second floor facing the back), it was a different story. First of all, the front desk clerk was crashed on the sofa when we first entered to check in. Then, while we were doing business, he talked on his cell phone the entire time. Quite unprofessional. Our rooms were dirtier than the year before, with bugs, stains, and general disrepair in the bedrooms and bathrooms. Having had no real issues the year before, my wife and I were surprised, but everyone in our group was disappointed in the motel, and I'll be making reservations elsewhere next year.

It seems that pretty much all the motels in San Marcos have bad reviews; if you must stay in town, you might have no "good" choice. I'm going to try a nearby town next time.

On the plus side, there are plenty of restaurants nearby, notably Red Lobster, Chili's, and McDonald's. The price is also quite low, and access to the motel is easy.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We were in San Marcos for my grandson's graduation from TSU and made reservations at this hotel for our family. On arrival the first impression was a dirty hotel. My room was extremely shabby and when I turned down the sheets, there were "nose pickings" on the sheet. I went to the front desk and asked for our money back and we would move to the Motel 6. The impassive clerk charged us $20 cancellation fee for each of the rooms. The manager, Rich Patel, refused to talk with me regarding the cancellation fee. Another guest was also in the lobby and moving to another hotel.

Econ Lodge should remove their name from the hotel and I have sent an letter to the corporation. The Texas Dept of Health should shut down the hotel.

Motel 6 is San Marcos is clean, bright, priced right and has cheerful staff. Our stay was enjoyable.

Mote