“Quite surprising”

Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in San Marcos
Seattle, Washington
“Quite surprising”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

It would probably surprise you to know that I am a Sales Director for a major hotel chain. We stayed here for several reasons --the proximity to Texas State, the price and they are pet friendly. Yeah, the hotel could use a major renovation. HOWEVER, it has this awesome retro vibe, the beds were comfortable, the water pressure was great. I wasn't here for the breakfast and didn't eat it...though I know it's pretty meager. Our room was clean, if a bit worn at the heels...but it felt like my favorite pair of shoes...worn in and comfortable.

Room Tip: they are renovating the hotel, feel free to ask....don't stay on the backside.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TXNative2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed here for just over a week in September at a decent rate. The rooms were just ok but the beds were mediocre, the breakfast was pretty meagre but the pool and surroundings were very nice, it was quite near the freeway which encouraged workers and I wouldn't advise a lady on her own to stay there. Housekeeping was adequate and at first the management worked with us and seemed quite friendly but on checking out there was a discrepancy with the bill which I tried to calmly enquire about as I didn't understand their billing system and was shouted down on several occasions as i tried to clear it up, this I"v discovered subsequently is a defence strategy that management of hotels use frequently to intimidate. My problem with this management was eventually cleared up but not without a lot of stress and the co operation of my Bank.

Room Tip: I would advise a room upstairs and facing the pool for security.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Property ok, A/C not ok. We paid cash, and pet fee when we checked in, 10 dollars. Our mistake was not getting a receipt then, as we usually get it when we check out. Next morning, owner claimed we paid no pet fee, and showed us receipt that did not include it. My husband told him that night clerk must be pocketing the money because we ALWAYS pay pet fees, we expect them! We would not have chosen that property otherwise. Be wise, and get a reciept when you check in if you pay cash!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Houston
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We selected this hotel (3 rooms) because our friends wanted to bring their dog.
This hotel was a health hazard! Not only should the Health Dept look into this place, but the Fire Marshal's Office too. Every electric outlet in the place was shot & looked burned. You touch the lamp or hair dryer plug & it fell out.
The pool water was green.
The beds were wore out. My wife & I rolled toward the center of the matress.
The door had a spring that was so tight that after you fought it open & got in the room, the door would slam shut so hard it seemed the glass was going to shatter & the noise was loud.
The mini refrigerator was a maybe. Maybe you got one, maybe you didn't. I was told I should have called ahead to reserve one, as they're often stolen. If that doesn't tell you something.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Got to the room pulled back the sheets and all you could smell was body odor. I went to the front desk told her I needed all new sheets and pillow cases, she brings me 3 pillow cases and one flat sheet. No fitted sheet, no thermal sheet. Bathroom faucet handle is sticky, the couch in the room at one time was a striped beige color now its black in places. I have dog there are no other hotels avail to take me tonight, so Im sleeping in my truck!

• Stayed July 2013
AR
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We drove in late this was just a quick stop over to sleep and arrive in San Antonio early next morning. The front desk staff were friendly. I didn't expect the very best for the price we paid $69.00 plus tax, but I did expect a cleaner room and air conditioning that would cool the room down not just blow air. The bathroom was clean but the carpet was really dirty looking and comforter didn't look very clean. I do always travel with my own pillow and extra sheet came in handy this time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Bangs Texas
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This place seemed good at first. We looked at reviews when we got there and we were like wow a bit dramatic? I feel like this hotel is against health code regulations if they even have those! lol. The towels had hair all over them and stains. The restroom seemed to be clean. The floor was unvaccumed which wasn't a big deal. The blankets are old and gross. The sheets have hair all over them also have stains all over them!! Thank God the pillows don't have hair or stains on them. I'm laying in the hotel bed right now and i'm just extremely grossed out and want to get out! there is no noise like everyone has said and its Saturday night.

Room Tip: The bottom floor rooms are best
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family