“Going down hill?”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Selma
Fairfax, Virginia
“Going down hill?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

We've had two very good stays here in the past year and I gave this hotel a good review previously. But there were a number of problems during our third stay that I feel warrant an updated review and a lower rating.

The good news is the hotel is still quite new and the rooms are in good condition. I did have some trouble with the thermostat in my room, but finally got the temp where I wanted it through trial and error. Also the free breakfast was as good as it was on previous visits.

Now the problems:

The front desk did not have one of our reservations, even though I received confirmation of it online before arrival. They had plenty of rooms and were able to accommodate us, but at a higher price than I had originally booked it.

There was a pervasive smell of raw sewage in the lobby and hallways during our entire 5-night stay. It was very unpleasant. The staff seemed to be attempting to cover it up with air freshener, but they were losing the battle. I eventually mentioned this to the front desk. They shrugged and apologized without explanation.

I came back to my room one evening to find the door had not been closed securely by housekeeping; I was able to push the door open without using my key. Luckily, nothing was missing. I mentioned this to the front desk and they shrugged and apologized.

The front desk was apathetic, as you can see from the above remarks.

I hope the problems we encountered were just bad luck, but if the management is as bad as it seemed on this trip, I fear this property is on the way down. I noticed that a new Comfort Inn and a Hampton Inn are opening nearby. I think I will try one of them on my next visit.

Room Tip: Take a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank andy2840

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

Fan on the AC would not stop, next morning, Sore throat! Had to ask twice before they moved me. And they always act like you don't know what you are talking about! No Priority Rewards benefits at all, they don't seem to care. And when I asked Holiday Inn Express.Com how I found a cheaper price on price line they denied every having what is clearly on their web page:

Holiday Inn Express - Official Site | hiexpress.com
www.hiexpress.com
Best Price Guarantee or Your First Night is Free!
Holiday Inn Express Reservations
Explore Hotels and Destinations
Book Meetings, Weddings & Groups Save Up to 20% On Winter Vacations
Hotel Amenities
Announcing Our Best Price Guarantee

Best price Guarantee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Food is fatty, Powdered Eggs, coffee is ofter watered down weak, and cold! No fridge in rooms! Bathroom has no vent and mirror is gone after shower! It would stake days to dry it!

Room Tip: Try Hampton Inn!!!!! Cheaper and as good if not better, I don t pay for a name when the name is Poo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We slept like rocks in this hotel. My husband laid on the bed and immediately commented on the comfort. It was very quiet at all times. No traffic noise or noise from other guests. Spotless room and clean breakfast area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

I'm a big fan of the Holiday Inn Express brand and this one is a nice hotel. Fairly new and very clean. Rooms were nice, with pleasant decor and nice size. Staff was friendly with no issues. Standard HI Express breakfast with a nice eating area. A bit far from downtown San Antonio but a nice place to stay if you are on this side of town.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

An excellent hotel, very clean and comfotable (even a label on the pillows to tell you whether they were soft or hard). Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Pleasantly surprised with the neatness and cleanliness of the room and lobby. Breakfast was very nice, nice pool.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel is pretty new and this is reflected in the furniture and linens. Beds are very comfortable, TVs are flat screen, plumbing in good working order. The pool is a cut above the typical HI Express pool. The free breakfast has many choice. The staff is iffy. The first time I stayed here, the staff was brusque and there were check-in hassles. The next time, all went smoothly and the staff was responsive.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank andy2840
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selma
Hampton Inn & Suites Selma-San Antonio-Randolph AFB
Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio-Live Oak Conference Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Schertz
Comfort Inn and Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS Atrium Inn
La Quinta Inn San Antonio I-35 N at Toepperwein

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Selma? Share your experiences!