“Awsome BBQ - go early, they run out.”

Zimmerhanzel's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Smithville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was a random stop, but oh so glad we did stop to eat here! Both the sausage and brisket were awesome. I was disappointed that they had begun running out of sides, but glad they hadn't run out of meat yet - which they did by the time we'd finished our meal. Lots of locals, long line, deer heads and such on the walls - very Texas.

There are newer reviews for Zimmerhanzel's Bar-B-Que

Reviewed 10 February 2012

If Zimmerhanzel's were just about anywhere else in the country besides Central TX, I'd surely give them a 5. I thought the pork ribs were excellent with a nice smoky flavor and the sausage was as good as any I've eaten. My wife's chicken was way overcooked and very dry. The sauce was "just OK', but a true connoisseur would not opt for sauce, preferring to experience every nuance of the smoker's art. Places like Kreuz' refuse to serve sauce at all.
The beans were mediocre today, though I've read other reviews that deemed them very good. I added a little salt and they became tolerable. Cole slaw was excellent and the potato salad was pretty good. Sides seem to be a real weakness in some of the better BBQ joints in this area, so I would rate the sides better than average here. My suggestion would be to focus on the beef sausage and ribs. I did not try the brisket this time and regret that I didn't at least have a taste. Service was friendly and the portions on the combo plates were very generous.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Love, love, love this beautifully restored dance hall. Ck. out their website. Likewise, the food is very nice. Leave room for desert!!! I need to go here more often.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Zimmerhanzel's is well worth the 1 1/2 mile detour off Hwy. 71 onto St. Hwy. 95. The smoked barbecue is always excellent and they trim all the fat off the brisket. It's the only place I'll get Chopped Barbecue, because I know they have real meat and sauce in it and not just fat and gristle leftovers. The chicken and sausage are great too, as is the pork if you're lucky enough to be there on a day they have it. No fancy atmosphere, but you'll LOVE the food.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Best barbeque I have ever eaten. Being from Texas I've eaten a lot. Homey, friendly and delicious. Decor is not much, but you don't eat the decor.