“Overcharging, bed bugs, stay away”
Review of Holiday Host Motel

Holiday Host Motel
Holiday Host Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Driving late into Sonora we had poor cellular signal on IH 10 so I didn't motel check reviews. During check-in, the attendants hardly communicated even when I asked about the $50 advertised price. The room was clean with a retro look to it and cool yellow bathroom tile, but the configuration was a different bed layout. This layout created a dysfunctional electrical outlet setup where you had to choose between using the refrigerator, microwave, or AC. The beds seemed clean so we went to bed. In the morning my son complained about some bites on his back, so I pulled the covers back to find old blood stains and a dead cockroach. I went to to office to talk to management but the office was closed with a sign stating they were around back, frustrated we left. When we got home my son son complained of finding bed bug on him when showering similar to pictures in the internet. Five days later, he still has the lesions. Checking my my online credit card statement I was charged $10 more than the advertised price and price I asked to confirmed at check-in. We are all freaked out that we have brought bed bugs home. Stay away from the place and check Trip Advisor before getting a room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Miguel B

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were ok with the price at first even though the rooms are dark and small, the bed was EXTRA firm and old, and the pool we wouldn't have been swimming in anyway has a foot of green sludge in it. Room did appear to be clean. And THEN came the morning and the bed bug revealed why my husband had itches during the night, and my back seriously ached from the bed (and I am not at all prone to back problems). The bathroom fans did not work and there are two outlets for four appliances. If you need the fridge or the microwave, plan to give up the light and/or TV. Other than that, it was great!

Room Tip: Hmmmmm .... Probably just skip it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GTFOD
Reviewed 25 September 2013

After reading the negative reviews, I had a careful look at the room before I checked in. It was everything but fancy and modern, however it seemed ok to sleep for one night. There was a bed with clean linen, the bath was ok and the room generally tidy. So I checked in. The really noisy A/C could be turned off, because it wasn't that hot anyway.
When I woke up the next morning, rather early I must say, the bed was crawling with bed bugs and I had been bitten quite a lot.
Unless you like waking up in linen soaked with your own blood - stay away!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank gul6dul
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Called to cancel reservation, and owner stated no problem. I have received bill and they will not credit my account. Low score is justified. These are not honest people. I had spoken with the front desk who transferred me to the owner who said they would take care of it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I have to start by saying I am very used to staying in budget hotels on the road. My husband and I spend 50-60 nights per year in hotels and this was the worst hotel I have stayed at in the past 20 years. We were just looking for a place to crash on our way home from Austin and the price was right. The room was dirty, the bathroom very scary (did not even take a shower before we left), and the bed was SO uncomfortable. The only "saving grace" was that it was open late and the desk clerk was nice enough, and the price was good for the area...but if you can afford it, it is worth the extra $10-20 to find someplace else.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Pauline H
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This should have been a clue but the lack of communication with the people that run the motel was beyond. Could not communicate over the phone with them. Left it at hoping they had a reservation when we got there. I did not book this so I was not at all thrilled with the outside appearance but it was late we drove for many hours and we were tired. Price of room started at $80 - went down to $70 and finally got it at $55. Reservation was written on a calendar on the wall.... Got into our room 2 dbl beds which we did not want the room is concrete block painted WOW that was a surprise - the carpets had seen their better day. 2 chairs and a desk with a tv on it- funny thing was the fridge and microwave sitting on top of a small plastic outdoor table that you would use on a patio or camping - boy that's safe. Hardly any outlets in the room so you had the choice of fridge/microwave or a/c. Bathroom had such heavy caulk around the tub and sink - not too clean. The toilet seat had one of those paper sanitary strips around it REALLY!!! Bedspread had holes and stains just not nice. Small place 20 rooms and yes the construction crews were there. There were groups of men sitting outside and drinking beer. Which was fine they were OK and didn't bother us. We talked to one of them and all he said about the place was "I don't know how long you are staying here but we've been here for 2 weeks and they still haven't changed the sheets - they're nasty and I've seen roaches." He also mentioned that they charge for ice which I saw in the office a small box on top of an ice maker not machine that said 25 cents. Worse yet I couldn't sleep after talking to them besides the bed not comfortable and the smallest flat pillows couldn't wait for daylight to leave. Another topper the bath towels were as big as a hand towel - I measured them for fun 19x35. I believe that about the sheets not being changed - because when we were leaving in the morning the older couple that ran the hotel were outside going into empty rooms - he was pushing a shopping cart that had some cleaning supplies and had a few towels - NO LINEN - she came in our room and started spraying the shower wall and bathroom sink - the bed was not stripped - I'm sure it was just straightened out and the 2 pillows that we used from the other bed were just put back on. WORST EXPERIENCE AND WOULD NEVER - EVER GO BACK - WOULD RATHER SLEEP IN MY CAR!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vegasgram
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

This place was horrible. I was so tired, and told the clerk I just needed to get some sleep, and get back on the road. The clerk said she would give me a really good deal (I honestly expected around $50, obviously I should have asked- I did ask for the receipt, but somehow left the office without it). The next morning I brought her the keys and asked again for my receipt, she still had it-don't know if I left it or what. When i looked at it i see that the woman charged me almost $80! I couldnt brlieve it! i asked her if this was correct, and she said yes. I was a little rude when i left telling her i promised to let everyone know what an overprised / bad deal it was for such a dump. They didn't even vacuum the carpet! There was this awful and very atrong smell of some sort of perfumed something in the air. Just a horrible deal - i really expected between $40 -$50, which still may be a bit high for the room. But I wouldn't have been offended for that price. I would keep on driving.

• Stayed: March 2013