“All around excellent ”

SPI Kiteboarding & SUP
More attraction details
Owner description: South Padre Island Kiteboarding is the island's first dedicated kiteboarding center. We have been teaching kiteboarding since 2002. Nobody has been kiteboarding on South Padre longer than us! We offer friendly service, equipment demos, free advice and safe, quality instruction for beginners to advanced at our private 16 acre kite ranch. The SPI Kite Ranch is the island only exclusive kite club and wind park. We customize our lessons to your specific needs and goals and never require a deposit to reserve your lesson. Our store is stocked with the latest NORTH kites, ION, BWS & Liquid Force. Our knowledgeable staff are seasoned professional coaches and advanced kiteboarders alike.
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Wyatt, Jason, Scott and Amy are excellent teachers and amazing hosts. They know the island, know and trust the equipment they rep (and ride), ensure everyone of all ages and abilities have a good time, and, most importantly, are dedicated to the future of kiteboarding on SPI.

This is all coming from silent observation and spending a week with these people. I don't ride their gear (probably should) and didn't take lessons (definitely should but am a glutton for the hard way), so I feel I am unbiased.

I can assure you and/or your family won't be disappointed.

1  Thank rha_tcb

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 7 days kiting at SPI ranch. We started our kiting lessons on vacations in maui, hood river and la ventana and were looking for a place we could get more time riding and less time fighting waves, crowds, and being in deep water far from the beach. The hospitality from Wyatt, Scott, & Jason is genuine and they are great hosts at the beach. The site is incredible for learning or progressing to more advanced riding. There were only a handful of us kiting each day and it was easy to launch and land independently or get assistance from others. I took a one hour lesson from Jason who helped me with more consistent water starts and riding. The next day I was riding and staying upwind. We met great people who came as couples and solo from other parts of the US and formed a nice little community during the day at the beach and evenings out on the island. We had seven straight days of wind and you could easily kite from morning until sunset. We can't until our next trip back to the kite ranch.

1  Thank Monique_pdx
SPIKiteboarding, Manager at SPI Kiteboarding & SUP, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you back in the Fall =)

Aloha, JAson

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I am also a 25 year windsurfer from the Gorge. I have attempted kiting there without success. I had taken intro lessons in La Ventana and Lake Floras Oregon. I was becoming very frustrated with my inability to progress to water start and ride. I had taken a lesson with another kiting company on SPI. I had the instructor squawking in my ear continually and I flailed for two straight hours.

Enter SPI Kiteboarding: The instructor, Amy, went over a few technical points on the beach then we headed out into the shallows. Within 10 minutes with her excellent instruction I was able to waterstart and ride a few hundred yards in each direction. There was no radio helmet but rather she followed me around on a sea doo and would give me one or two things at most to work on. She would retrieve my board when it was to far upwind for me to get with a few tacks of body dragging. It maximized my time of actual learning. I would encourage anyone at my stage to consider this private lesson to have that breakthrough day. Next stop for me is kiting the sand bar in Hood River. Next hurdle is to ride upwind....

Scott and the staff in the shop are very friendly and accommodating. They want you to have a safe and enjoyable kiting experience...

1  Thank Nicht
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Afer 24 years of living and windsurfing in The Gorge I decided last summer to start kiting.I found my progress painfully slow in the Gorge so looked into going where it would be the best learning conditions and that turned out to be South Padre Island.After checking out the schools on the island I found South Padre Island Kiteboarding.These guys are the greatest.Not only do you get incredible instruction but you get to be part of the most fun group this old dog has ever met.I can tell you without a bit of hesitation this is the school you want to learn from.Even if you already know how to kite you want to be kiting with these guys at their Kiteranch just for the stoke.

1  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Spent a week taking lessons with SPI and I can't recommend them enough. I went solo, not expecting to find much more than lessons, and by end of the second day it as like I was part of their crew. As everyone else seems to say in their reviews, they really are all about the kiting community, not just going through the motions. Instructors are professional, patient, and fun! The shop crew is super easy to work with and helpful. To top it off, it's a fantastic place to kite - shallow bay, warm weather, strong breeze, and no crowds at The Ranch. I plan to go back often to the island and I'll always kite with SPI!