“Island chill, but Kiteboard amped!”

SPI Kiteboarding & SUP
More attraction details
Owner description: South Padre Island Kiteboarding is the island's first dedicated kiteboarding center. We have been teaching kiteboarding since 2002. Nobody has been kiteboarding on South Padre longer than us! We offer friendly service, equipment demos, free advice and safe, quality instruction for beginners to advanced at our private 16 acre kite ranch. The SPI Kite Ranch is the island only exclusive kite club and wind park. We customize our lessons to your specific needs and goals and never require a deposit to reserve your lesson. Our store is stocked with the latest NORTH kites, ION, BWS & Liquid Force. Our knowledgeable staff are seasoned professional coaches and advanced kiteboarders alike.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

From the first time you set foot inside the shop at SPI kiteboarding, you know you've found the place to be on South Padre Island. The knowledgeable and outgoing staff will set you up with lessons, first-rate gear, info and locals tips on how to enjoy your time on the island. Their new "Kite Ranch" is the idea place to learn kiteboarding - flat water as far as the eye can see without the crowds of the "regular" kite beaches. Join the boys for a beach fire, drop in the shop for some gear chat, and learn from the masters out on the water. These guys adopted us as kiting friends, not just clients, and went well beyond expectations to make our trip fantastic.

Thanks Wyatt, Scott, Jason, and the rest of the SPI crew.

2  Thank MikeJNell

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I spent 14 days in South Padre at the end of May. We kited 10 days straight at the SPI Kite Ranch. The water is warm and clear and the wind was consistent. The Kite Ranch offers plenty of room for kiters to launch and land kites and play. Even though my husband and I were not taking lessons or renting equipment from SPI Kiteboarding, the hospitality that Wyatt, Jason and Scott provided went above and beyond. We met the nicest fellow kiters and cannot wait to return in October. We Love the SPI Kite Ranch!

2  Thank Becky S
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Wyatt, Jason, Scott and Amy are excellent teachers and amazing hosts. They know the island, know and trust the equipment they rep (and ride), ensure everyone of all ages and abilities have a good time, and, most importantly, are dedicated to the future of kiteboarding on SPI.

This is all coming from silent observation and spending a week with these people. I don't ride their gear (probably should) and didn't take lessons (definitely should but am a glutton for the hard way), so I feel I am unbiased.

I can assure you and/or your family won't be disappointed.

1  Thank rha_tcb
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 7 days kiting at SPI ranch. We started our kiting lessons on vacations in maui, hood river and la ventana and were looking for a place we could get more time riding and less time fighting waves, crowds, and being in deep water far from the beach. The hospitality from Wyatt, Scott, & Jason is genuine and they are great hosts at the beach. The site is incredible for learning or progressing to more advanced riding. There were only a handful of us kiting each day and it was easy to launch and land independently or get assistance from others. I took a one hour lesson from Jason who helped me with more consistent water starts and riding. The next day I was riding and staying upwind. We met great people who came as couples and solo from other parts of the US and formed a nice little community during the day at the beach and evenings out on the island. We had seven straight days of wind and you could easily kite from morning until sunset. We can't until our next trip back to the kite ranch.

1  Thank Monique_pdx
SPIKiteboarding, Manager at SPI Kiteboarding & SUP, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you back in the Fall =)

Aloha, JAson