“Good Value/ Clean Motel”

South Padre Island Inn
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed 5 September 2007

My family and I had a great stay. The rooms were clean and maid service cleaned very well. The amenities were good. The micro and fridge came in handy and worked great . The a/c cooled as expected. No rodnets/roaches or bugs of anykind. The pool is small. The dryer was not working on the bottom floor. But other than that no problems. The breakfast was what you expect and the staff was very helpful and polite. Overall very clean and pleasant motel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2007

I was worried at first because I read all the reviews but it was the cheapest most decent I found on the internet. I'm glad I went ahead and picked it because it was not bad at all. We got to check in early. The room was clean. I didn't see any roaches. Free WIFI. A/c was cool and working. The hotel was actually on the bay side area. So you do have to drive to the beach, well you can walk but you have to cross the street. Oh yeah the only way you can get fresh clean towels is if you bring the used ones to the front desk. The hotel staff is nice except that I made a complaint about the room next to me and they told me to call that room number and speak with them instead. I decided to let it go. Another problem was during our 3rd night, our card key wouldnt open the door so I had to go to the front desk and have them rescan it. The only worst thing was seeing a spider crawling on the ceiling. Other than that the stay was good and I would probably stay there again...

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seaXshell
Reviewed 14 August 2007

The hotel rooms smelled of something nasty like urine. The owner/ manager was rude when we told them we would not be spending the entire week with them. Due to the conditions of the rooms. Smells and mold. Definately not a hotel if you have allergies. We were forced to spend one night or lose the money for one night. They also tied up our charge cards for one weeks worth of stay AFTER we left the hotel. They also charged us an extra 16.00 because we only stayed one night. Which is against Ramada's company policy. I would never stay at this hotel nor recommend it to anyone!

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank CuzIMTheMom
Reviewed 11 July 2007

This was, by far, the worst hotel experience I have ever encountered! When we arrived, we were told the room would be $20 more a night than originally quoted and pre-paid for. This should have been telling but we decided to stay...our mistake! The first room we were given had a very strong smell of mold and mildew. When we asked for another room, the front desk clerk was rude and acted like it was a huge inconvenience although they did switch rooms for us. The 2nd room wasn't much better but after dealing with the front desk clerk twice already, we decided that we really didn't want to deal with her again so we decided to keep it. The staff was rude, unfriendly, unhelpful and didn't even answer the phone half the time! The electricity in our room went out twice in the 2 days we were there! The food was horrible, the "Hot" Tub was cold and the staff made it near impossible to get fresh towels. The next day, after checking out, I noticed that they made an unauthorized charge of $75 on my credit card. I called to find out why and when asked about the unauthorized charge, the front desk clerk who claimed her name was "Sophia" , hung up on me!!! I tried calling back but she would only pick the phone up and immediately hang it up without even saying hello!! How's that for customer service?? I've been calling now for a few days and have left several messages for the owner/manager but have not received a call back. The front desk clerk will not allow me to speak to the manager and yells at me and talks over me every time I call! I have never been treated like this by any hotel before and I have since contacted the corporate office to file a complaint and the better Business Bureau. I would suggest going to any other hotel besides this one!! Motel 6 and super 8 are both next door and cost MUCH, MUCH less!! This was the worst experience I have ever had and I will NEVER go back!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank ABW1
Reviewed 27 June 2007

We stuck with our plan after reading the reviews and glad we did. This is a well run efficient hotel that offers cleaner rooms than most and helpful staff. New carpets, new beds make the stay even more pleasant. The air conditioner was efficient and quiet. all other appliances worked to expectations.This is perfect for that island/ beach vacation for those of us that want no cell phones, no computers, "no shoes, no shirt..... no problem." The breakfast time can get a little busy, but that's always the case with inclusive tariffs.... not so when you have to pay extra.
There is very little to no road noise as Texas 100 is speed controlled. A couple of good licensed restaurants and stores within walking distance add only to the enjoyment of this location.
We will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IslandFool
Reviewed 16 May 2007

Noisy rooms are in the back of the hotel. Trash pick up is on Mon. & Fri. at 6 a.m. and takes 30 minutes backing up with loud beeping. In addition the back rooms are used or massive teen - under 21 parties on the weekends. Motel 6 and Super 8 Motel flank this property.

The air conditioning works great. The bed was very comfortable. The microwave and refig didn't work in the first room I was put in, which was by a stair well. I moved rooms and the appliances were new. The tv had a constant bleeping sound because of the cell phones the under 21 year olds were drunkingly yelling into on the balacony. Check the alarm clock to make sure the alarm doesn't go off at 2 a. m. The hotel is conveniently located in the middle of the Island and near Zesty's. Zesty's is the best gourmet, fine wine & beer deli. Super 8 Motel looks newer.

Palm Resorts has an execellent cafe on the beach and Seattle's Best coffee. The Radisson has a Starbucks.

To guarantee a good night sleep for business I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites up the Island.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Texas_Surfer
Reviewed 27 April 2007

Pluses-Dog Friendly-wireless hi speed worked well- Room OK size-air conditioner worked well. Hard boiled eggs in contenental breakfast-maid service prompt and thorough -inexpensive-for hotel-but look for condo- for what i paid I could get a condo for twice as long.
Minuses-toilet broke twice-Contental breakfast only fair, and has poor coffee-owner is rude-stayed a week and still asking to see my key at breakfast(to prove i was a guest)-I guess she forgot when she yelled at my brother to turn off his diesel van-but it didn't bother her that all her employees/guests park in handicapped parking, though they are not handicapped(I AM)-power outlet for mini fridge was fried and refrig items were ruined, I moved to good outlet(like most hotels, not enough power outlets for laptops, cell phones, cameras-etc Pool small
I won't be back.
PS My inlaws ran an inn for 20 years and i know the horror stories they encountered with unreasonable guests- these folks really had to underperform to get me to write this.

Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank Snowpiste
Seeyouaround, General Manager at South Padre Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2007

In nearby Mexico you probably could find something for half of the price!