“"Strange Place; Strange Arrangement: In Process of Renovation"”
Review of Suites at Sunchase

Suites at Sunchase
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My wife and I made reservations to stay here for four nights but checked out after the first after having "uneasy" feelings from the first night's stay. We chose this hotel based on some very positive reviews from this site. First, upon reaching the hotel, we found it difficult to find the entrance and parking area. The front desk duty person was less than friendly. I requested that instead of getting Choice Privilege points for our stay, I preferred Southwest Rapid Reward points since there was currently a promotion doubling the points. The front desk person did not know how that could be done so he called Choice Privleges while we were there. At the time, we did not get a satisfactory answer. The hotel is strangely arranged. The rooms are large and generally clean. We did notice some black marks in the carpet that might have been from tar. This could have been due to all the renovation that is going on in the hotel. We were also placed on the fourth floor which was very near the night club that had live music for 2-3 hrs. We did call the front desk with a concern for being placed on the same floor near the live music. They did agree to move us but since it was already late, we said we'd wait until the next morning. We also felt a little eery since we seemed to be the only ones at the hotel other than another couple that night and the parking garage level where we parked our car was not lighted nor was the entry door secured allowing people from the outside to enter freely 24 hours a day. I'm guessing this is probably due to the night club being on the fourth floor. Instead of moving to another room, we checked out the next morning and found another hotel. The front desk staff the next morning was much more friendly and had no problems with our checking out early. I did call Choice Privileges after returning home and it does appear that we will receive our Southwest Rapid Rewards Points. In conclusion, this facility did not end up being what I had perceived it was based on reviews I had read here. I suppose if we were more into the night club scene, we might have a more favorable opinion. Also, unlike most, in fact all of the Choice Hotel's where we've stayed in the past, this one does not provide even a continental breakfast. Maybe after all the renovation is completed it will be a more attractive place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank durf1

Reviewed 4 April 2011

What a wonderful place to stay in a great location.
The staff at this hotel were incredible..friendly, courteous,helpful,conscientious,charming,etc. I really cannot commend all of them enough.
The location is ideal, close to shopping, restaurants,beach, etc.
The suite was large with a kitchenette.
The pool was wonderful.
The bar on the fourth floor had the best band of anyplace on the island.
Highly recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Let's start with the good. The rooms are spacious and clean. There is a small pool in the front of the hotel. Not fancy, but big enough for kids to splash around and have a good time. This is not on the beach, which is reflected in the very reasonable price. WiFi is available in the rooms and is free.

But this is a weird hotel. It is a former office/retail building that has been converted into a hotel and service is absolutely bare bones. The hallways were dirty and we never saw signs of housekeeping the entire time we were there. Our room was never cleaned while we were there, nor were fresh towels provided. We were only there 2 nights so it was ok as the room was clean when we got there. But if you are staying longer, check on what the housekeeping/towel replacement policy is. And ladies, make sure you pack your hair dryer. There wasn't one in the room. It took 30 minutes to check in and the staff seems to have had virtually no training. Not necessarily rude, but not helpful either.

There is bar in the hotel that appears to be a local hotspot with a live band. I was concerned about the noise when we checked in as it could be heard in the lobby but the room was very quiet with virtually no noise.

If Hampton Inn is your idea of roughing it, this is not for you. If you don't need any of the extras and are just looking for somewhere to sleep without spending a lot, then this is a great option. Would also be good for a family as the rooms are really large, with pullout sofa beds and a small kitchenette as well. We saw several familes bringing in groceries. But make sure you bring your own beach towels, shampoo, etc as expect it will be difficult to get anything extra, particularly on a weekend.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pilot123Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We were delighted to see that the Suites at Sunchase is now an Ascend Collection Hotel by Choice Hotels! This is quite a unique "all suite" hotel! The rooms are HUGE and they say that there are no two suites that look alike. The outdoor pool is beautiful and we really enjoyed the live entertainment in the Costa Del Sol Lounge featuring a group called Pelican West. We had a great stay and plan to visit again this summer on our vacation.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel and found it most comfortable. The rooms are especially spacious with a closet, dresser, desk, table and chairs and kitchenette. I was able to enjoy coffee and quick meals in my room rather than eating all my meals out which I find as a plus. Since the purpose of my stay was to get plenty of rest and relaxation, this hotel was the perfect spot. I could relax at the pool, enjoy the health club or walk the beach. The hotel is located near plenty of stores and nice restaurants so I didn't need my car too often.
I found this hotel to be comfortable with a capital C. My bed had a plush yet firm mattress and the pillows were far better than any I've slept on in the past. The bath linens were soft and the spacious bathroom and double sized shower was impressive.
I already have plans to visit South Padre next year in October for Sand Castle Days so I'll be reserving a room for myself and friends at this same hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We have been very satisfied with the Suites at Sunchase. We had another opportunity to stay at the Suites at Sunchase on August 14, 2010. We have been totally pleased with the cleanliness and freshness of the rooms. We are also pleased with the noise level which is minimal. The staff is great! Mr. Soto and his employees have been very professional and they make you feel very special. They are very friendly and make sure we are comfortable in our suite. There is plenty of parking and they allow more than one vehicle. We like that! On our next visit to South Padre Island, we will be staying at the Suites at Sunchase. Thank you Suites at Sunchase

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My boyfriend and I were guests at the hotel this weekend, from our arrival to our departure the entire weekend was extremely plesant and the staff attentive. The rooms were spacious and very clean, not to mention 2 great nights sleep on the extra comfy beds. We will definately come back soon.