“Gem at Padre”

Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Texas
“Gem at Padre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel two nights. The beds were comfortable and the suite was HUGE. I found the room clean and well kept, unlike some reviews I have seen. The staff was friendly and it was a nice touch that they put tooth brush, deodorant and other items in the rooms instead of me having to go to the front desk and ask. I had a bay view room and would say it was worth the price. Great stay!

Room Tip: The place is a little hard to find. Look at the picture of the hotel on the website. It kinda looks...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank duaneide

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

My advice is not to stay on the 4th floor on a Friday or Saturday night if you plan to sleep! The live band played LOUD music from 9pm-3am that filled the entire 4th floor! Thankfully, my kids fell asleep but my husband and I were awake until after 3:00am despite playing white noise on our iPads to try and drown out the loud drums and guitar noise.
The rooms are very spacious and mostly clean. The location was pretty good...just a short walk to the beach.
There are no safes in the rooms to secure valuables, so we hauled our laptops and iPads to Schlitterbahn and locked them in a locker. We returned to our room at 5pm and our room had not been cleaned. It was clean when we returned at 6:30pm.
There is one rolling luggage cart for the guests to use to bring their luggage in/out. If you're lucky, you might be able to use it.
Parking was limited and spaces were very tight.
Overall, this hotel is acceptable if you're not on the 4th floor on a Fri or Sat night. Not worth the $160+ we paid online per night, though.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank TravelingAggieFamily
Harlingen, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

This place is worth the money as we got a great spacious room i would say it was about 1000 square feet or more. This was our second stay here and we will continue to go back. Don't forget to visit the casablanca club on the 4th floor which has good music and drinks, plus you don't have to drive to other bars or clubs.

Room Tip: Ask to get into the larger rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hhscard83
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Suites at sunchase is completely gross!!!! (Check out the pics I took.) The rates are 200+ a night complete ripoff! There were Huge roaches ( more than one ) the size of your room key. Really really dirty, broke down place... should be illegal for them to rent rooms at anything above 49.00. Found past neg reviews accurate. No air in the hallways, refrig not cool, long hike to room, no breakfast, no room service, no vending, no parking, no spa (that they advertise) no bathtub, just no no no... don't do it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
22 Thank 25l

Travellers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

The common areas are sauna like, even upon check-in. The rooms are not only dirty but disgusting, the counter tops are coming unglued, no water pressure in shower, air conditioner makes strgange noises if it works at all, refrigertor does not work (all of the climate controls are removed), maintenance person was not able to fix the problems and then the staff is incredibly rude! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank TravelerSis
Laredo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My family and I loved it. location is great and the rooms are top of the line. Plenty of space in the room. Stuff in the room are updated and the staff is very friendly. The only thing i believe that needs to be changed is they need curtains in the room. (sunlight came through the window early)
and breakfast they should at lease give some cereal and fruit in the mourning. But i guess we cant have everything

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jags_fan1024
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed here for my daughter's birthday. I got two rooms for my family and I. Staff was extremely helpful and polite. My room was huge and super clean. I stayed here on May 6. My little baby girl loved it as well. I don't know how many complain about the distance of the elevator if it's a great exercise. Beach and restaurants were very local. I definitly will be back on the 29 of June for my Dad's Birthday. Perfect hotel and size for family vacations. Will be putting this on my monthly hotel stay. Than you Sunchase

Room Tip: Third floor is super peaceful
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family