The last beach vacation we took (me, my husband, and 8 year old son) was in the Clearwater area of Florida and we wanted another trip similar to that but more affordable and being that we couldn't afford a beachfront room in FL I was so excited to book one in South Padre. And when we arrived I was not disappointed. The view from our room was excellent. Anytime we were in our room, even for a few minutes, we took the time to go out and soak up that ocean view from the 3rd floor. The bad thing about not being on the top floor was that we could hear someone above us stomping around (drunkenly it seemed) late at night, be he was only there one night. May have been with the business meeting that was taking place. Good thing about this hotel hosting large business gatherings is less children running around... bad thing is during their "meet and greet" by the pool one evening there was music playing very loudly but it didn't last late into the night so that was good. All of the staff were helpful and even the housekeeping would return a smile. I was especially shocked to see how professional every staff member was since they all looked no older that 25... no complaints at all about the staff, any problem or question we had was met with a helpful and friendly response. The pool area was nice and my son liked the waterfall in the kiddie pool.
We don't like the stress of driving in unknown towns so we got a shuttle from the airport and used The Wave shuttle on the island. Since it stopped right across from the hotel it was pretty convenient. But we were there in October, mid-week thru the weekend and the bus was full a few times on the weekend so I don't think I would want to use it during the busy times of the year, I can imagine it would be overflowing with passengers. Great way to see and talk with the locals and get a view of the whole island. One of the drivers was especially friendly and we enjoyed riding and talking with him. If you ride the public bus in your town you will know what to expect.
So, back to the hotel... its a great location, quiet side of the island right on the beach. The beach isn't Clearwater, FL but we enjoyed walking and playing in the waves. A local guy walking by told us to look out for the little blue jellyfish looking creatures as they can cause harm if stepped on but they were easy to spot once we recognized them. The hotel restaurant was very good. My husband ate breakfast there every morning while me and my son ate in our room groceries from the local store (which is one of The Wave stops). We all had dinner there one evening and had no complaints. They even had live entertainment so that was nice.
The Birding Nature Center is right across the street and the Sea Turtle Rescue Center is beside that. I would recommend visiting both places.
If we were to visit SPI again we would be happy to stay at this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Hilton Garden Inn hotel is set among the dunes of the Gulf of Mexico beachfront and offers contemporary convenience on the north side of the island. We place you in the heart of the beach action where you can enjoy a gulf sunset, beach horseback riding, parasailing and more. We offer complimentary WiFi throughout our hotel along with a full-service bar and restaurant at the pool and deck. Check out what all our South Padre hotel has to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island Hotel South Padre Island
- Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island Texas