“Very good hotel at this price range.”

Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island
Kansas City, Kansas
“Very good hotel at this price range.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

The last beach vacation we took (me, my husband, and 8 year old son) was in the Clearwater area of Florida and we wanted another trip similar to that but more affordable and being that we couldn't afford a beachfront room in FL I was so excited to book one in South Padre. And when we arrived I was not disappointed. The view from our room was excellent. Anytime we were in our room, even for a few minutes, we took the time to go out and soak up that ocean view from the 3rd floor. The bad thing about not being on the top floor was that we could hear someone above us stomping around (drunkenly it seemed) late at night, be he was only there one night. May have been with the business meeting that was taking place. Good thing about this hotel hosting large business gatherings is less children running around... bad thing is during their "meet and greet" by the pool one evening there was music playing very loudly but it didn't last late into the night so that was good. All of the staff were helpful and even the housekeeping would return a smile. I was especially shocked to see how professional every staff member was since they all looked no older that 25... no complaints at all about the staff, any problem or question we had was met with a helpful and friendly response. The pool area was nice and my son liked the waterfall in the kiddie pool.
We don't like the stress of driving in unknown towns so we got a shuttle from the airport and used The Wave shuttle on the island. Since it stopped right across from the hotel it was pretty convenient. But we were there in October, mid-week thru the weekend and the bus was full a few times on the weekend so I don't think I would want to use it during the busy times of the year, I can imagine it would be overflowing with passengers. Great way to see and talk with the locals and get a view of the whole island. One of the drivers was especially friendly and we enjoyed riding and talking with him. If you ride the public bus in your town you will know what to expect.
So, back to the hotel... its a great location, quiet side of the island right on the beach. The beach isn't Clearwater, FL but we enjoyed walking and playing in the waves. A local guy walking by told us to look out for the little blue jellyfish looking creatures as they can cause harm if stepped on but they were easy to spot once we recognized them. The hotel restaurant was very good. My husband ate breakfast there every morning while me and my son ate in our room groceries from the local store (which is one of The Wave stops). We all had dinner there one evening and had no complaints. They even had live entertainment so that was nice.
The Birding Nature Center is right across the street and the Sea Turtle Rescue Center is beside that. I would recommend visiting both places.
If we were to visit SPI again we would be happy to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ddh79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Korean first
Sublette, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Ok, so the HGI is the only place we stayed on the island but it is great. Very nice newer hotel with an excellent location. Easy to find driving in and only steps from the beach. Restaurant on property priced fairly high, but the food and service were fantastic. Nice swimming pool area and rooms. Thanks to tripadvisor, another great vacation.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank jasruth
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

This hotel is new and clean and well run. After a stressful trip from Toronto, (plane diverted and baggage delayed) we felt an immediate sense of relief upon arrival and saddled up to the bar for a welcome drink and nice chat with the bartender. Unfortunately on the second day of the trip my wife fell and broke her wrist while shopping. We returned to the hotel where the staff were extremely helpful, getting some ice, ibuprofen and calling the paramedics. (Very impressed with South Padre paramedics and Valley Regional Medical Centre in Brownsville, who were quick, sympathetic and professional). Staff at the hotel went out of their way to assist and make us welcome. Although we had to leave early, we did get some time by the excellent pool, despite the "red tide" that had moved in that week. Be sure to visit the bird and wildlife sanctuary across the street.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Been here couple of times and so far it's the best for what my boss spends on it. I usually stay at resorts or condos when I travel to tropical vacation spots but this hotel does the job. I especially enjoy the Quiet location, it's the farthest north on the island! So it's peaceful and the ocean view is also perfect as expected from my top floor Balcony! I don't hear all the swimming pool noise down below. However that being stated, the type of guests whom also stay at this hotel chain tend to "know" how to conduct themselves in the sort of manner which offers Respect to other guests. The hotel offers room service at night until some reasonable hour which is normally 9:30 or so. However, be prepared to spend some cash for this luxury. I always tend to tip extra! So for something really basic, aka hamburger with fries plus the beverage possibly one slice of cake or pie with that, Can run as high as $30-35 bucks. Yup! What? It's the top notch hotel chain, well one of them. So no, it's not going to be cheap but neither is this class of hotel. Ok? Either way, the weather is almost always Great in this area. Right now it's December 20th and the high will be roughly 75 Degrees!

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank TED E
Forest Hills, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful hotel for thanksgiving on the fourth floor in a suite for three nights. We chose this hotel because it is across the street from the Birding Refuge and the Turtle Center. It is away from the busy part of the Island; The beach is less crowded and quitter. Great Sunrise from our balcony every morning.

The pool and hot tubs are clean and beautiful. Ocean view rooms overlook the pool and the beach. There is a board walk to the beach.

We booked under the thanksgiving special, so we had complimentary thanksgiving buffet for the two us and treated my family to dinner (staying at a hotel down the road). The food was fresh and they had everything you would expect and a few extras; well worth cost, just under $25/person. There was music and dancing.

Manny, margaritas and music are not to be missed! Manny at the bar will make you any drink you request. He made our visit fun. There is a great happy hour with $2.50 margaritas!!! Live music; fun and very festive. You have to see/hear it to believe it.

The front desk staff were friendly, smiled and greeted us by name. Frank is especially helpful and seems to have answers that the rest of the staff struggled with.

The suite was large and clean with a large balcony with two lounge chairs, four chairs and a table. There were two large rooms; a bedroom and living room with a pull-out sofa-bed. Both rooms had large flat screen TV’s. The beds are so comfortable; the firmness is adjustable. There is a dial on both sides of the mattress to adjust each side to your desired comfort. The bathroom was a standard hotel bathroom. Coffee maker, frig in room. The safe was broken when we checked in. Called the front desk and within minutes, a man knocked on the door and replaced the safe. The closet door is not well made and kept coming off its hinges.

Our package also included breakfast for two. The staff in the dining room all worked very hard to make sure we had everything we needed for breakfast. There is both a buffet and hot made to order items. They offered everything I could think of for breakfast and more. Delicious and fresh.

Free parking, free internet. Business center with printer.

I always read posts on trip advisor before I book a hotel, so I am aware that the fire alarm had gone off recently. Well it had been weeks, so I thought it was fixed. Boy was I wrong! The fire alarm went off, just after I had fallen asleep the first night, 9:30AM. No big deal. Spoke to front desk, “it was fixed”. The next night it went off at 2:30AM and again at 9AM. Now I’m really tired and a little concerned; will this happen every night? The firemen were in the hotel that morning. I appreciate safety and respect fire alarms, but three false alarms??? Really??? Not the service that I expect from a Hilton. I spoke to the staff at the front desk and was given an apology. When I expressed my dissatisfaction, a second time and asked to speak to the manager, I was offered a more sincere, monetary apology.

I love this hotel and would probably stay again next year, especially if they offer the thanksgiving special with dinner and breakfast. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying on South Padre.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Gershwin12
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

Pro: The staff is friendly and accommodating. Our room was spaciousf and clean with a large balcony. The breakfast omelets are very good. Overall a pleasant experience.

They have a beautiful pool with a large fountain at one end. Unfortunately the fountain noise drowns out a lot of the ocean sound and we prefer the ocean. When I asked the staff if they minded turning it off they did so with no problem. We were extremely pleased.

Con: I had to ask for my diamond member benefits upon check in. It felt like I was unexpected though my arrival was booked weeks in advance. Never the less I liked the hotel and found it to be better than many of the Garden Inns I've stayed at. This may also be because the property is only about a year old.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Wilsonville, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Spent Thanksgiving here. Room overlooked the pool and ocean....just beautiful. Thanksgiving buffet was excellent. Other food in the restaurant was also good with large portions and reasonable prices.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family