“Nice and on the beach, but pricey.”

Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
“Nice and on the beach, but pricey.”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Beautiful pool area. Great food and fitness center. Rooms are nice and have balconies. Right on the beach. Pricey but if you don't mind that, then it's a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a beach view room!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Kate O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Korean first
Belton, Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2012

There was no reading light in the room, only a lamp between the beds, a lamp on the desk and ceiling lights in the entry and bathroom, a disappointment since several evenings were spent in my room during this business trip and I like to read. On the plus side, there was adequate space to move about in my room, a patio, it was quiet except for the guest upstairs walking around in his/her room, I was moved to a better room upon request (the patio of the first room assigned faced the wall of the hotel next door, a few yards away), good food and service in the hotel restaurant, easy access to the beach. On the not-so-great side, the bed was uncomfortable - the select-a-number dial didn't work well if at all; food served to the group during the business conference was abysmal - cold eggs/sausage/gravy for breakfast, returning the plate resulted in another plate of the same dismal fare, lunch was not as bad; the woman at check-in was rude though other staff were courteous and helpful; the carpet was badly stained in places and varied from bright orange to black stains. This is my second and last stay at a Hilton Garden Inn when I have a choice as my stays at Holiday Inn Express hotels have been more pleasant overall.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank centraltxtrav
Texas
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed in a Junior Suite during the middle of the week for two nights. I want to stay there again, I miss the lovely view from the balcony. Oh so therapeutic to look out over the large pool, and the Gulf of Mexico and to listen to the ocean. We had a corner suite therefore had both bay and ocean views....nice!

The beds were very comfortable, bathrooms clean, staff excellent, we had a refrigerator in the room. We ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel and the food was good.

I have no complaints, if there were any problems then I would not hesitate to write about them, but everything was really pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite because they have the best views and are sunny.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank likes_travel2
Austin
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Phenomenally clean hotel for the beach. Hotel is clean, comfortable and has everything you need for a great stay. We have 2 young children and they were very happy there as well. Restaurant is great for breakfast, as well as to get food to take to eat on the beach. Beach is right there with umbrellas and chairs for rent; very convenient. Pool can get a little wild for the little ones but other than that this is a great experience. We are already planning our next stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Natalie B
Harvard
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We had booked a room with a rate of $109.00 with breakfast included, when we got there to check in the computers were down we had to wait 2 hours to check in. Received a room that was like a ice box, control did not work, refrigerator ran all the time and made lots of noise, had to pull it out and put towels around it. We were on the third floor people above were stomping/jumping on ceiling until 1:30 am complained to manager, they were to quiet them down NEVER HAPPENED!! Next morning complained again to manager and requested new room, was told we would receive one the, but after checking later, we were told they didn't have one. Breakfast was suppose to be included in price, but after eating was told that we needed to pay for it. They insisted we pay for the food, after letting them know it was to be included in price of room they threatened to charge us for it anyway. The halls were dirty and had a smell of urine. The following is the names of employees that don't care Nelly, Krystal, Oscar, and especially Jose the so called manager.

Would not recommend Hilton Gardens to anyone, placed complaint they said we would give me a call or email within 3 days, it has been 1 week with nothing. I would rate them as a -0 but it does not give me that option.

I COULD GO ON, BUT I HOPE YOU GET THE POINT. DO NOT STAY HERE. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT WAS A HILTON.

Room Tip: Get room on 4th floor. Look someplace else!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
14 Thank stmolar
Austin, TX
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I was really impressed with the facility, the ocean view and the friendly staff. Duvin Maldonado and his crew made it worth the drive and I will definitely be back over the summer. I was working in Brownsville and McAllen and decided to drive to the Island to spend my last night. I was glad I did.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean front, but call early. They are booking up for the summer. If you don't get an o...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
austin
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The first room we were given was like walking into a freezer. The wall thermostat was broken, so there was no way to turn off the air. They told us to wait for someone to come fix it, but we got tired of standing in the hall, so we were given another room. After settling in, we realized the tv did not work right and we could only get a few channels, a drape rod was missing, and the shower didn't work the way it was supposed to. The bed was not a comfort top, but a hard mattress. I did not want to ask to move to another room because we had unpacked and it was late. I have never had so many room problems in a Hilton before, so did not check out everything before unpacking, but will in the future. The next day, they exchanged the tv for a smaller one that worked properly. I assume no one had checked this room out after Spring breakers or something, but I expect better at a Hilton property. The look of the room and the hotel was very nice, the size of the room was very comfortable, and the partial ocean view and balcony were great. We enjoyed the easy beach access, the pool, and the overall feel of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room for a better ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple