“excellent choice”

Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island
texas
“excellent choice”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We chose wisely. Very nice suite. Didn't know about the $4.00 resort fee up front - but suppose it was not that significant.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank swost

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Korean first
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We checked in to this hotel after leaving another hotel on south padre due to it's lack of cleanliness. We were pleased with the open lobby and large, clean rooms. Our room was a suite with a couch/sitting area, refrigerator and microwave and a balcony with an ocean view.
The only reason we didn't give this hotel an excellent was because there was a large number of people who were NOT hotel guests using the pool. We could see them walking in through an unlocked side gate, some girls even got into the pool in there dirty street clothes and no one said anything. I was given a red wristband while sitting by the pool (the 4th day into our stay) which was supposed to identify me as a hotel guest but no one was checking the bands. It appears that management has tried to place this responsibility on the pool side servers which is totally ridiculous as they were very busy. This hotel needs to have key access to their pool/grounds and it would be an Excellent place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jo C
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This is a very nice property, good reception at the front desk and the room was very comfortable. Breakfast was cook to order and plenty to eat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank themanstan
Austin TX
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We visited for three nights just before Memorial Day weekend. I love the large bathroom and storage space for multi-day stays. We had a few glitches, however.

(1) After the first night we needed some lighter blankets (just a sheet and a heavy duvet on the beds). When the housekeepers arrived we asked for lighter blankets and had them within 15 minutes. Very nice.

(2) The lamp by the sofa was difficult to turn off and on; on the last morning it gave up the ghost. If it had happened earlier, I'm sure they'd have switched it with a working lamp quickly.

(3) We never could get the "firmness adjusting" beds to actually change firmness. My husband and I both tried, but both sides of the bed stayed very firm (we prefer much softer). Made me miss our Sleep Number bed at home.

(4) We never receive maid service on our last full day, though we were out all afternoon. I finally called down at 7PM to get more towels, which arrived within 15 minutes.

(5) The bill for our stay was slipped under the door early on our last morning. For "zip-out" checkout, we were supposed to put the "zip-out" button on our phone--except there was no such thing. So I called the front desk and got no answer after 10+ rings. As we left, I asked the front desk clerk about the button on the phone and he said, "It's me." So much for technology.

We were on our balcony (3rd floor) constantly. Very nice place to enjoy the ocean.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BabsinTX
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Had a great Birthday weekend with my family at Hilton Garden Inn.. The pool area was great for my kids and the service desk and all Hilton staff is very helpful and nice...Greatly recomend The Hilton....

Aramburo Family

Room Tip: Ocean view suites are a great value...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My family recently planned a vacation to south padre. Normally, we stay at a small beach front property, but I happened to have some Hilton Honors points that allowed me to stay here for free. We thought we'd be sacrificing to save some money, but we were totally wrong! What a fantastic experience. The people at this hotel know that you are likely on vacation and they do all they can to make your stay special. Even my 10 year old daughter said, "I love going to breakfast" I asked here why expecting to hear how good the food was (because it was). Do you know what her reply was? "I love to see everyone's smiling face. Even when I don't feel that great, they make be feel happy". They are very accomodating and everyone has a great attitude and is there to make sure that you have a good time. Ocean view rooms are wonderful, pool is great, rooms are very clean and spacious, TV is nice, chairs and umbrellas by the beach near the bar are convenient, but what really makes this a great place to visit is the people who work there. I'm a Hilton Honors diamond member. I choose to stay with Hilton properties, because in general they keep their places very clean and up to date and the peolple are generally pretty accomodating. Obviously, I visit a lot of hotels. This one is a cut above the rest. Hilton should send a crew to this place to figure out what the managers are teaching their employees and how they are motivating them because this is certainly a place I'd want to emulate if I owned this business. Don't hestitate to stay here. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pick a pool view room. All pool view rooms face the ocean. The ocean view rooms that are not also...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Realitycheck777
Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This hotel is beautiful!! Located right next to Andy Bowie park, right on the beach!! Everything was wonderful save one thing.. the floors and walls are thin thin thin.. we had to endure listing to our upstairs neighbor walking around all hours of the night .. boom boom boom boom... we thought at first we had a very heavy neighbor, until we were in the hall and could hear everyone walking on the hall above us... So if you stay here request a 4th floor room and be courteous to your downstairs neighbor.

Room Tip: Request 4th floor ocean view! You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple