“Trying to hold money from my account when it's their mistake!”

Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I am extremely unhappy with our recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at South Padre Island on 1/10 and 1/11. I had made reservation under my name and my debit card months in advance. When we arrived I showed the girl my driver's license and my Debit Bank Card. She had me sign a piece of paper stating that our rate was $39.00 a night. When we got to our room, the internet wasn't working so I called downstairs. They kept trying to tell me I was Peter Hoeffer or something like that. I argued with her until I said, Okay, I'll just use that last name to get on the internet. Our air did not work--the room was 80 degrees. Then within 5 minutes the desk called and said that they had made a mistake and we were not Peter whatever his last name was. Then they proceeded to charge our stay plus Peter's to my bank account. It's already been subtracted and they tell me that it's really not! I'm looking at my bank statement. They can charge your bank in 1 minute, but when they make a mistake it takes 7 days to have it placed back in your account. This makes no sense. I will never stay there again. Arguing with them is like talking to a wall.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
13  Thank Laurie M
Aaron R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Laurie,

We deeply apologize for the mix up you had upon check in. It was an honest mistake on our part and we understand your frustration dealing with something you shouldn’t have too. We are sorry about the credit card issue; it really takes a couple days for a full refund. If we could refund you faster we would have however, we do recognize that this inconvenience shouldn’t have even happened. We hope you will give us another shot to prove we are the very best hotel on South Padre Island.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My daughter and I came to Padre so I could show her the beach. Our room was beautiful and so comfortable and clean. This is the first time I have stayed at the Hilton. It is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Aaron R, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Hello Pearl,

We appreciate you taking time out of your day to write an outstanding review of your first experience at the Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island. We’re overjoyed you and your daughter got to see our beautiful beach and had a wonderful experience doing so. We’re glad to have exceeded your expectations and hope you will keep us in mind the next time you visit South Padre Island.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We met another family in south padre and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. We had junior sweets with ocean views. AMAZING.. The breakfast were Outstanding with custom orders and omelets to order. Dinner menus well priced for gourmet food. Its so nice you just want to hang in the hotel. What a TREAT...kids loved it too. easy access to beach and great pools

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheri P

Greetings Sheri,

We can’t thank you enough for your exceptional review of your stay with us! It’s exciting to read you loved your ocean view, our breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It’s good to know you and your family had a blast in South Padre Island even the kids. Thank you for choosing us we really appreciate it! See ya’ll the next time!

Best,

Reviewed 9 January 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn on South Padre Island cannot be beat for the amenities, location, and what the hotel overall offers. It is situated right on the beach and has everything you need to enjoy the island. My trip was a solo personal one and my family and I will be returning in March (non spring break) for a week. We can hardly wait

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Eric T

Hello Eric,

Thank you for choosing us stay with and sharing your feedback of your experience. Thank you for acknowledging our competitive pricing. It’s been an honor having you and glad your trip was very enjoyable. It’s wonderful you are returning in March and hope you will have an even better time. Thanks for choosing us and see you in March!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Ok, I have to admit this is the only place we've stayed on the island. This was our second stay and It is likely to stay that way too! Weather was an issue but clearly not under the control of the hotel. We had room 335 with a balcony that faced to the north. Unfortunately, the wind howled out of the north everyday we were there. Wind isn't really a big deal for people from western KS though.
Location is great as it's up to the north of the tourist area. Staff was great and the place was clean. Beds were nice and they had some sort of comfort setting but we couldn't seem to figure it out. Breakfast downstairs was great and I'd rate it far above average for hotel restaurant food. The other meals were just OK. Right across the road is the sea turtle place and the bird center is as well. The only issue we had was two nights in a row a maintenance guy knocked on the door about 1030 saying water was leaking into the room below us. Naturally, they assumed our kids had run water out of the tub. Of course we had not and later they were working in the hallways on the pipes. What should they do when one room complains of water dripping from the ceiling though? Minor inconvenience. We will be back next time on the island.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jasruth

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island! It’s nice to read you genuinely loved your stay enjoying our breakfast, hotel cleanliness, staff, and our location. We apologize about the maintenance guy disturbing you and glad you are very understanding about the situation. It’s exciting to know we will see you again and thank you for only choosing us when you stay in South Padre Island.

Best,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Staff was extremely nice and accommodating. Weather wasn't the best but we had a great time. This is the nicest hotel on the island from what we saw. Only complaint we had is the internet service/ cell reception was really bad in the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joseph L

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hilton Garden Inn in South Padre Island. Our staff is pleased to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. We’re glad you were able to have a good breakfast during your stay. We’re delighted to hear you will return for another adventure so that we have the opportunity to provide you with another flawless stay.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We came to find some sun and warmer weather with a view of the gulf on a private balcony. We got a private balcony but could not spend any time on it because of the constant 25-35 mph wind from the north. You guessed it, the balcony was on the north side of the hotel! The wind whistled through the wall mounted heat/air unit continuously. We looked at the Gulf from inside the room. The room had two queen beds, and the beds are supposed the be of adjustable firmness. My husband and I adjusted and adjusted, but all settings were the same - hard as a rock. He actually rolled off the side of the bed once, landing on the floor. We sleep on a queen bed at home, so this was not a change for us. It was just the bed. They did have six pillows available, of varying firmness. We booked over New Year's Eve and were rocked on our 4th floor room by the band until 1 AM. Children running in the hall and slamming doors were the only other thing that disturbed us in the room. The maid service was VERY unpredictable. We tried to check in at 3pm, but the room was not ready until 4 and we had to wait in the lobby while the room was cleaned. After our first night, the maid did not get to our room until after 3pm. The next day, a different maid came at 10:15 am. When I asked her to wait a few minutes because we were just leaving and my husband was in the bathroom, she left and did not come back until 3:30 pm. After that, it varied from 10am to 3pm, and we stayed five nights. We were in and out of the room because the weather canceled many of the attractions we came to visit and there is absolutely nothing to do when you can't be on the beach because wind chill is in the 30s and the wind is blowing 35 mph all the time. I had read on the booking site that breakfast was included in the rate, but found on check-in that it was not, so I had to pay the additional expense of a breakfast buffet each morning. In addition, the hotel is filled with Snow Birds who live there each winter. They apparently eat all their meals in the dining room and hang out at the bar most of the time. I am sure this is good money for the hotel, but not so good for non-resident guests when you sit in one of the residents "regular" seats in the dining room. I had a language barrier in the dining room and with the maids because Spanish is the primary language in the area. As far as hotel food goes - the breakfast is fabulous and well worth the money of you are a big breakfast eater. They make omelets to order and have a variety of other food, all fresh. As for other meals, note that there is a Ben E. Keith truck parked in the parking lot. That should be enough said. They have set 6.95 specials, and ordering off those can be an adventure. I looked to other places on the Island unless the weather was just horrible, which it was on two occasions. The south side of the hotel abuts to the LaQuinta Hotel, and the LaQuinta has some balconies with the same view. The Hilton had two hot tubs that were both open while we were there. The hot tub at the LaQuinta was closed. Clayton's Beach Club is just south of the LaQuinta, but it is an open outdoor bar and not for cold windy wet days.

Room Tip: If the weather is warm and not windy, spend the extra money for a partial gulf view. If you really w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Flamingos77

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time to leave very valuable feedback of your experience staying at the Hilton Garden Inn. During January, the weather can be always changing in South Padre, unfortunately, during your stay the weather wasn’t what you were hoping for. We apologize for the check-in issues and the housekeeping inconveniences and will address these problems as soon as possible. We appreciate you choosing us and we hope the next time you visit South Padre the weather will be better than your expectations.

Best wishes,