“Pretty cool! ”

South Padre Island Adventure Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We create memories! The Wells family has served South Padre Island for 5 generations and we create memories that last a life time! Our Adventure Park is located at the end of State Park Road 100 with forty acres of land spanning from the Gulf of Mexico to the Laguna Madre Bay that provides an unparalleled location for Adventure on South Padre Island. Our horseback rides are along the beach and water's edge and we often see a variety of shoreline and marine life and we get to ride in the remote portion of the Island that few people get to experience. No crowds here! Our Petting Barn is filled with birds and animals we have rescued or have been donated to us for a forever home. Children can enjoy a safe and educational interaction with all of our birds and animals (us big kids too). Dolores also owns The Massage & Healing Arts Center and her licensed and professional Massage Therapists are ready for your pampered needs after a fun day at the beach. Come; make your memories with us! We love what we do and we look forward to exploring the Island with you soon. Doyle & Dolores Wells
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Pretty cool! ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The guides were very nice and helpful. We got there late to get a horse, but they didn't seem upset. All went pretty smoothly. The ride itself is awesome. It's especially nice if you're a first-time rider. I have tail bone problems, though. I didn't realize how much the saddle would aggravate it. It was a mildly painful ride for me, but I still managed to enjoy it. I gave 3 stars because some other riders weren't very courteous (teenage girls) and my girlfriend was given a horse who isn't very personable. She spent most of her ride keeping her horse from the others(kicking) and dealing with people who wouldn't keep their horse away despite the guide clearly stating that the horse likes his space. I just feel like a horse that doesn't like being close to other horses might not be suited for such an event (horses are close to each other during ride). I do recommend the ride, though!

2 Thank Jeff N

Copperas Cove, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Teens had a blast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

My 15 & 16 year old daughters had a blast. We did this on day 3 to break up the beach & waterpark. I reserved tickets online, easy check in. Guides were awesome & friendly. It was very organized. Since I had my 3 yr old, we went to the beach, while they were getting everyone matched up with their horses, to take pics as they went by. The beach was such a great place for the big sea shells! The group was large, but they had a great experience! Wear sunscreen and we went at 10 am. Afterwards my 3 yr old rode a pony-skip the petting zoo-waste of money.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Fun, but group size too big”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My 15 year old daughter and I have always wanted to ride horses on the beach. Although the ticketing, matching of horse to rider, and process of getting on the horses was well organized, the group size was way too big to make this a completely enjoyable experience. Once we were riding, the views were amazing and the guides were very friendly. Unfortunately my daughter was near the back of the huge group and I was near the front so we were not able to ride together. I tried many times, unsuccessfully, to move my horse to the side and stop so we could get together, but he just wanted to follow the leader and wouldn't do what I asked. He also kicked at a horse that got close to his rear, and the guide said that he likes his space. But it was impossible to give him space in such a huge group when he wanted to closely follow the horse in front. I spent most of the ride telling people behind me to try to stay back a little bit so they didn't get kicked. I would not recommend this experience for beginning riders. The group size and personalities of the horses may scare you into never wanting to ride again.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A nice ride with a large group”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

They did the best they could do with a group of people, many of whom had never ridden before. The horses were well trained and the wranglers were experienced in handling a diverse group of riders with varying (or no) experience. It was an enjoyable one hour diversion.

2 Thank mdhden
Hayward, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An unexpected best time ever...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I'm definitely NOT the horse-person in our family. My wife has owned horses and she herself has led trail rides for years at a previous locale and I never had any interest . All she wanted for our 31st wedding anniversary July 8th was a horse ride on the beach during our 1st visit ever to SPI. I agreed to do the Sunset Ride and could not be happier that I did. When you arrive at the facility you realize this is the real thing, not some phoney operation with a snotty staff of horse-snobs. My wife always looks at the horses condition, hooves, etc and was really happy with what she saw before the ride even started. The folks there are likeable and friendly and there were many times one on one conversation was going on during the ride. I have to admit it was the highlight of our stay. Lyle was a pleasure to have as a guide and the others seemed to be as well with their section of the group. Don't know how they did it, but my horse "Larry" and I seemed to be a matched pair. The wife rode "Tequila" and as someone who has ridden and worked with so many horses was not disappointed either. We're looking at making SPI our anniversary spot from this point forward. If so, next year will be the Moonlight Ride.

2 Thank F Scott B