“California Benedict”
Review of Cafe Kranzler - MOVED

Cafe Kranzler
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe Kranzler is committed to providing our guests with a quality dining experience while serving up a delicious new American cuisine menu.
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I took my friend here for brunch and the coffee is good and the California Benedict is delicious! We went 3 times in one weekend.

Date of visit: January 2014
2  Thank Brad F
Anneliese S, Owner at Cafe Kranzler, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hi, Brad! Three times in one weekend? I love it! Thanks for such great support. We hope to see you again soon for more of your favorites!

Best,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our great new discovery on South Padre Island! The food is a little more expensive ($12 breakfasts and lunch salads), but you get better quality. There is soft music of the 1940's in the background, not so loud to prevent conversation, just enough volume to set the mood. The restaurant also has intimate lighting. The staff is friendly and efficient. The cafe serves wine and beer. Their grilled hot apple pie with ice cream and walnuts is excellent.
They are closed on Mondays. Friday - Sunday they open at 10 AM, close at 2 PM, then reopen at 5 PM - 9 PM. Tuesday - Thursday the are open for dinner only, 5 PM - 9 PM.

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank Splashingwater
Anneliese S, Owner at Cafe Kranzler, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

You know how to make our day over here! I'm delighted to hear we made such a great impression on you. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon -- our Apple Pie is calling your name!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Cafe Kranzler is located in a nondescript lime green colored building and doesn't look like much from the outside. The inside decor is very dated. The highlight of this dining experience was the food. We had a crab cake appetizer which was the best crab cake I've had anywhere in South Texas--very little filler---full of lump crab and seasoned very well. The entree my husband chose was the flat iron steak, which was quite tender and again, well seasoned. I had the Jaeger Schnitzel, which was outstanding--again the best I've found in South Texas. The mushroom gravy was a cream gravy rather than the brown gravy as served in Germany, but it was tasty. The red cabbage had a very good flavor but was slightly dry--could use more liquid in the dish. The potatoes on both plates were very good. Bread was great. Dessert was the Apple Skillet Pie which was a big hit--you have to try this if you go. Service was ok--not great. Our waitress was not very attentive--never asked us once how our meals were or if we needed anything else. I expected better from the prices we paid in this restaurant.

But, if it's good food you're after, go here. If you want excellent service or a fancy place, it's not the place for you.

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank owlsrus
Anneliese S, Owner at Cafe Kranzler, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for this delightful review! I couldn't be happier to hear our Crab Cakes and Jaegar Schnitzel were the best you've had in South Texas. I'll pass along your praises to the kitchen! And of course, what better way to end a meal than with our Apple Skillet Pie -- I'm glad it was such a hit! I hope you'll think of us again the next time you're in South Padre. We'd love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is one of the most disappointed visit I had to a restaurant , terrible service, very very slow attendance, and my family and me felt terrible , we are Latinos and I don't know if the service has to do with this, but I will never recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: May 2014
Anneliese S, Owner at Cafe Kranzler, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Your review was incredibly disheartening to read through, Mervis. I want to start by assuring you that we do not discriminate against any of our customers, and treat every guest that walks through our door with friendly and respectful service. That said, we are a small, local business, and there are times when we find ourselves a bit understaffed. In these situations, I do my best to accommodate every table, but apologize if the service was still a bit slow. I hope you won't hesitate to give us a call at the restaurant so that we can discuss your experience in more detail. I'd appreciate the chance to chat and make things right.

All the best,

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We ate here three times during our weeklong stay and loved it. We sat outside for our two dinners and inside for brunch. It's a great place for a nicer meal when you don't want bar food or tacos or to be with the big SPI crowds. Our first dinner was the paella Sunday dinner which I highly recommend. Its their sunday special. We did another dinner with great seafood pasta. Our last meal was brunch. They were very busy at brunch and it seemed understaffed but our server helped us get in and out quickly. Elisa waited on us all three times and she was excellent. We will be back on our next trip to south padre.

1  Thank Monique_pdx

It's no small compliment to know you chose to eat with us three times during your visit to South Padre, Monique! Our Sunday Paella is a must, so I'm glad you had the chance to try it. I'll also be sure to pass along your compliments to Elisa! Hope you'll find yourself back ins South Padre soon -- we'd love to welcome you back.