“WOW, WOW, WOW!! Had a wonderful time!”

Crystal Flats Guide Service
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Crystal Flats Guide Service South Padre Island, Texas My name is Captain Cliff Fleming and I specialize in private bay fishing trips. I am a local fishing guide that has been fishing the Lower Laguna Madre since 1974. My passion to fish turned me into a passionate professional guide in 1986 when I got licensed by the USCG. When you fish with me my main goal is to have FUN while catching quality fish. I am a patient teacher and a low key coach for experienced anglers as well as small children. I have several small children of my own and know what Mom and Dad are usually looking for on a days fishing outing with their own precious children. Everything is provided: bait, tackle, ice, and drinking water. Anyone 17 or older will need at least a one day Texas fishing license. I have quality tackle and a flats boat that easily navigates the very shallow waters of the bay and also handles the near shore fishing challenges as well. We catch redfish, speckled trout, flounder, snook, kings, tarpon, mangrove snapper, and spanish mackeral as the seasonal runs provide them to us. If you and your family or buddies want to go on a FUN filled fishing trip, learn some new techniques, and get some local history of the area at the same time, I can provide those services while catching some great fish. Sight fishing, spin fishing, bait fishing, and fly fishing are all in my bag of services. No need to shop around you have just located your new favorite fishing guide and services. Take a look at my web site links for more details, photos, information, and reviews by previous fishing clients on google places. In addition to fishing, I do fireworks tours, dolphin watches, and boat tours for small private groups. Feel free to call or email anytime to hold your reservation for a SUPER FUN day on the water.
Austin, Texas, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“WOW, WOW, WOW!! Had a wonderful time!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

For years I have been wanting to go on a bay fishing charter. This year I decided to finally make it happen. I did some research and quickly found they seemed to be about the same price. Since Capt. Fleming rated highly on TripAdvisor I let that be the deciding factor (in a addition to a good phone conversation with him).

Due to scheduling on my side we chose to go on an afternoon trip with my family (wife and 11/13 yr old boys), my brother and my father. He warned me this might be a too many for everyone to fish but we played nice with each other and took turns. Four is probably the ideal number since you are all fishing off the same side of the boat and need room to cast.

We drove out on the bay for about 20 minutes and then stopped to start our fishing. We used live shrimp which was a little difficult for us at first (hooking it was hard for the kids but they got used to it) and Capt Flemming was very patient and helpful. Over the course of the trip we fished in four different spots and everyone caught something. Most were throw backs but we got 2 large redfish, a very large trout and another smaller trout.

Once back at the dock Capt Fleming cleaned and fileted the fish and taught us all how to do it (and walked my older son through it so he could complete his fishing merit badge). We had enough fish to feed 8 people and still leftovers.

This was such an incredible experience I don't know why i didn't do this sooner and i can't wait to do it again! RECOMMENDED!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Thomas Z
Cliff F, Owner at Crystal Flats Guide Service, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thomas thank you for all the kind words and the positive review. It was really nice to have such a laid back group on an afternoon trip. I hope to see you and your group again sometime soon. I am also glad leftovers we to be had and the fish dinner went as planned. Thanks again.
Capt. Cliff Fleming

Katy, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very Good Guide!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Enjoyed this fishing trip very much. Caught quite a few trout. The best part, however, was I was taking my two brothers-in-law who had very limited fishing experience. They had a blast! But, one of them hooked me! Right in the cheek! Captain Cliff removed the hook with no pain. I will always remember the pain-free hook removal!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Tommy B
Never a dull moment or a dull hook. I m so glad we could take care of that problem on the water. Thanks for your patience and especially the awesome review. Hope you get back. Soon.
Capt Hook Remover Cliff
Damon, Texas
“Best Fishing Trip Ever!”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had the best time fishing with Captain Cliff. We hit our max for specs in record time. It was a great day and the fish were biting. He knows the bay and where to find what you are looking for. We are headed for another fishing adventure soon. Can wait to see what we catch!

Visited April 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Cliff F, Owner at Crystal Flats Guide Service, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Hello Family,
I do remember all of your names at this time but will respect your privacy, Such a pleasure to see you and your son and daughter after the three year wait. Im extra glad you posted a picture of the previous trip dated March 5, 2014. Its great to see the children develop as time passes. I just want to say you have done a great job with R........ and J......., I still had ball with you all and I hope your dinner went well after the Spring Break trip. For thanks again for the reviews Ph....... and J........ CH.......... I will be looking for you next time your in the area. But don't wait three more years or the kids will be taller than me. LOL

Capt. Cliff Fleming
Aledo, Texas
“Reds on line!”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The trip started out a little slow. Casting for specs. THe guide had stated that the reds would start biting at around 3:30PM. We repositioned near the shoreline in view of condos. I thought this will be a dud. Once positioned we maxed out on redfish in 35 minutes. Its was great.

Visited April 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Cliff F, Owner at Crystal Flats Guide Service, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thanks for the good review. I just wish every trip could turn into limits of fish. FISHING is just like a slot machine timing is everything you just keep putting in another coin and eventually you will hit a payoff but rarely the net the whole jack pot. Keep your baits in the water see you next time.

Captain Cliff Fleming
South Padre Island, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fishing with Captain Cliff”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I've been fishing with Captain Cliff for a couple of years now...he's a professional. He finds the fish and will take the time to teach you how to catch the fish. We always have a great time fishing the Laguna Madre bay with Captain Cliff. You just can not beat eating 'fresh caught' fish.

Visited May 2013

1 Thank Becky W
So nice to hear back from a local resident of SPI. Thanks for the excellent review rating. Three details stood out for me.....had a great time, fresh caught fish is best, takes time to teach. Now that's what fishing is all about.

Respectfully,