“Jeweils on the Beach”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Great, clean hotel, happily situated, clean beachfront and excellent restaurant. Friendly staff, helped me with our bicycles that we brought along. Our suite is very spacious and comfortable, with kitchen and all what is needed, everything very clean. We'll def come back again! Thank you from a German family!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Julia S

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We arrived in the early afternoon and were promptly checked in. Although our reservation had only a room with 2 double beds (the only room configuration available at booking), we were given a room with a king bed with handicapped access (another request during booking, but unavailable).

Our room was facing the tennis courts near the beach, and parking was just around the corner from the room. The room was spacious and uncarpeted, which was, in my opinion, a bonus. The shower was a walk or roll in, wide and had fantastic water pressure. The king sized bed was Sleep Number bed, something we did not expect, but were pleased to have, as we have a Sleep Number bed at home. It worked perfectly and we slept quite well. The free wifi was great and we had no problems with internet access anywhere on the property. The flat screen TV was new and we had a good selection of stations to watch.

I was there for a conference, while my husband spent the days relaxing near the pool or on the beach. The conference rooms were comfortable, but, as most conference venues, the rooms are usually cold. I always bring a jacket and have no problems.

We had a couple of issues when we first arrived. (1) The flat screen TV was showing everything in shades of pink. My husband called the Front Desk and a maintenance man was at our room in about 5 minutes. He was able to re-set the TV and we had no further problems. (2) The first morning, after I left for the conference, my husband was watching TV and heard water dripping in the shower. He went to investigate and found water dripping from the light fixture above the shower stall. He called the Front Desk and maintenance men came within a few minutes, looked at our shower, then went upstairs. The water stopped and there were no further issues with water leaks. In both instances, the staff were prompt, courteous, and, most importantly, fixed the problems.

This is my second stay on SPI, and I have loved both my stays at the Isla Grand Resort. I can think of no other place I would rather stay when visiting South Padre Island.

Thank you, Isla Grand!!!

Room Tip: Cabana rooms or pool view rooms are the best!
4  Thank Joanne T
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I recently spent one night at the Isla Grand Beach; this was my first trip to South Padre Island.The location is excellent. I found the rooms to be lacking: primitive tub/shower, no coffee maker and unavailability of coffee before 6:30 AM, and very inadequate "fitness center." The fitness center had a few pieces of equipment, all of which were outdated. While probably acceptable to a vacationer, it was not acceptable to a business traveler.

Room Tip: Get a cabana room overlooking the ocean.
3  Thank Joseph S
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I really love the restaurant food was awesome the server was really nice and made us feel like at home I thank Mario for the excellent service he was kind and gave us great choices on food and drinks thank you all.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank SmithaPaul
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Location for our annual conference. I had a beautiful beach front room on the second floor. The room was beautiful and the view was awesome. The bed was very comfortable and I loved the shower. I had very reliable wifi internet. The Windjammer had good food and the entertainment at the Quarterdeck Lounge was pleasant. The conference rooms were clean and well attended as always and the food provided during the conference was very good.
I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Beach front cabanas are the best.
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was the only room that I could find on the island. I thought that made me very fortunate but upon arrival, the hotel was very old and the service was terrible. They had to issue 4 different door keys because none of them worked. None of the staff spoke English which made it very difficult to try and discuss the room issues we were having.

Room Tip: This hotel had terrible service. I would not recommend staying
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Angela B
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We make a yearly trip to Isla Grand to attend a seminar and, although it definitely has some shortcomings, I always enjoy our stay. We stayed in condos this year that were very clean and well decorated. They also were very spacious, and the view from the balcony is beautiful. Each had a full-sized kitchen, though the kitchen supplies were minimal and very basic, suited our needs. Maid service was prompt each morning and the housekeepers were very friendly and pleasant. Like many other reviewers, the sleep-number bed that was touted didn't work and was stuck in such a way that it created a hard lump down the center of the bed. Another minor disappointment was that the television in the bedroom didn't get all of the channels that the one in the living room got and my request for someone to come fix it went totally unanswered.

The grounds are really quite lovely and well maintained. Although I didn't use the pools, it looked like those that did had a lot of fun.

We ordered room service most mornings and it was great . . . good food and very quick service. My experience in the restaurant wasn't quite as good. We went on the evening they featured steaks on the menu, and we found that it didn't really matter how you ordered your steak cooked . . . they all came out the same. I suspect that the steaks were cooked ahead of time and just reheated to fill order. But the restaurant staff were very attentive and the service was good.

I couldn't really describe Isla Grand as a "luxury" resort, but it's really nice, very comfortable, and located in a great spot just over the bridge.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business