“Disappointing!”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked two cabana rooms supposedly right on the beach according to staff and pictures. Unfortunately, you could not see the beach or Gulf due to huge sand dunes in front of place.
The TV did not work, there was no coffee pot or micro in room, mattresses were stained but worst
of all, the Smell! It was moldy and no amount of air freshener could mask that smell. Checking in
there was only one clerk who answered phone five times before taking care of us. Staff extremely unfriendly. The bug man walked in on sister just as she got out of shower, saying he was told room empty. Lawn was being cut at 9am in morning in front of condo. I paid the premium price for these rooms because they are suppose to be the best. Except for the location of this property on South Padre, there is nothing else to recommend it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Claremore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a cabana. Location and grounds were very nice. Room was clean and spacious with balcony. Our only negative comments would be the plumbing in the sink and shower. Really needs attention faucet almost pulling out of sink. Isla Grand has been here for more than 50 years. Having stayed in other beach towns older properties are common. I would stay here again. Also restaurant was very good.

• Stayed February 2014
Gulf Shores, AL
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Great property featuring cabana type rooms as well as rental privately-owned condominiums. We stayed in a condominium and were impressed with all of the renovations that have been done in the last few years. Since our visit 5 years ago, kitchens and baths have been upgraded and most recently HD TV service and wireless internet throughout. A major renovation of pool area featuring zero entry and state of the art lighting at night. Windjammer Restaurant offered great quality and reasonably-priced food with a wonderful view--day or night. Quarterdeck Bar provided great live entertainment with no cover charge and only an elevator ride back to our room. Staff was most helpful with questions and requests. Only adverse comment we heard was from a lady on the elevator who had rented privately and was denied access to ice machine, laundry, fitness center etc. so would recommend renting directly from Isla Grand or at least check with them to make sure if renting online that it is approved by Isla Grand to prevent disappointment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Connie B
Effingham, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2014

the staff at this place are just bold face liars! had reservations for 2 months in advanced. stop at hotel to confirm the reservations 2 weeks in advance. When my guest arrived the staff said they had given the rooms to some other people. Do NOT waste your time or money on this hotel!!!!

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank wally1965
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 February 2014

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE! I wish I could give negative stars for this place. I never write reviews, even if I have had bad experiences. First, I never received a confirmation email after they charged me. Not sure if they even send those out, I emailed them to send me one in case they had my email wrong. Never heard back from anyone. Second, our battery to our door apparently wasn't working after we got back from dinner. We had to run up to the front desk three different times, which is not a super short distance if you're staying in a cabana by the beach. After an hour of being locked out, we got in. At this point it is past midnight. Next, I had a Valentines Day package that I never received. While we were locked out, I asked if I was going to eventually get my package. They informed me I was supposed to get it when I checked in. By now, there were two managers (or at least they appeared to be managers) that were pretty much helpless, apologizing for their mistake and inconvenience. I was told my package would be right up, and after waiting about another half hour I called the front desk to just forget it and cancel. It was a long day of traveling, and I did not want to be up until 2 AM waiting for that package. Didn't really matter I guess because I was AWAKEN at 2 or 3 in the morning from the front desk, asking if I had called them about the Valentines Day package I didn't get. NO, I did not! They had mistaken calling my room, for a different room. Really? "Sleep Number" beds don't work either. One last thing. There are sad and depressed parrots in the lobby that were screeching like they are in agonizing pain. If there is a long wait, hope you are not hung over when checking out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda X
Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

You never know what you are going to get when the units are individually owned, and we were pleasantly surprised! Stayed in room 909 and it was really good. Clean, uncluttered and everything worked. All of the staff was very friendly and responsive.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JayHTexas
Bastrop, Texas
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Recently booked a room for my daughter and her friends with Mathew. He was very informative, polite and helpful. I had spoken with Mary Lou and Liz previously and found them to be the same way. They were all very reassuring as to the focus on safety. Mathew took extra time to explain all that the resort had to offer and I truly appreciated it. Have fun on Spring Break Girls !!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends