“~less then one if i was given the choice!”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Were staying from march 1 to 8th and i can't begin to tell you what a trashed hotel thus is: first we have rented a two bedroom directly from the hotel, no time share..... day one, they only had one checkin clerk on duty at 3pm which is the start of check in time and it was a zoo. We had tried putting us in room 405 which is right off the elevator. With the beginning of spring break we asked for something else...and as we had requested cooking items this room was less then acceptable. On to our current room 807. Where do i begin, toilets don't flush unless you hold down the handles and the sinks in the bathroom plugs are broke. Call maintenance to be told there is nothing they can do since its privately owner? What??? We rented from the grand beach directly? ...
Day 2, no water pressure to even get the shower to work? We call the main desk and are told that is normal for the winter. Moving on we decide to make dinner in our unit to discover the garbage despoil doesn't work? Again we call for maintenance to wait over two hours and three calls? Again they say "sorry" Owner must be called (again we didn't rent from an owner)
Day 3: all night long there was construction in their parking lot...24hrs. Nothing was said about 24/7 construction when we made our reservations or checked in. To say we got sleep would be an under statement. We decide to leave the hotel at 2:30pm for some lunch and the elevators are out and no one has any idea when they will be fixed? By now we are beyond a nice list of this hotel. Down the stairs we go. It seems some spring breaks filled the elevators too fun and they both broke. No call was made to us by management to let us non spring breakers know. Still no water pressure for morning showers.

Day 4, i decide to have a talk with "a manager" who blamed the construction 24/7 on the city...i pointed out that it was on their property and i rented from them. He offered us $30 in breakfast for the last three days were here, and 10% off of the remaining days.

Day 5 (today) first sunny day and we head to use the pool to be turned away cause we have not boughten a bracelet? What hotel charges their guests to use their pool? I called to be told that guest over 40 would get them free? I asked why we were not given them on check in? He didn't know and said we could come down and get them! Not that he would even send anyone up with them! Patrick the manager i spoke to didn't even give a reason as to why we were turned away when we even showed our room key?

You might ask why we haven't left yet but this hotel charges your cc/amex when the reservation was made in november of 2013!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jakswife
islagrand, General Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to write about your recent experience. We greatly apologize for all your inconveniences and will work to resolve all that we can. It is unfortunate the City of South Padre is replacing a lift station first installed at the city’s conception that is located adjacent to our parking lot. Water pressure is an island wide situation they are also trying to resolve. Spring break is a yearly holiday spanning most of March. We highly recommend to our non-spring break guest to avoid March. When a guest is displeased, we do offer an early checkout or cancellation with no additional fees. Thank you again and we apologize for any and all inconveniences.

There are newer reviews for Isla Grand Beach Resort

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The Isla Grand is like an elderly grande dame – once beautiful and spectacular but showing its age. In fairness, we did hear the (nearly constant) sounds of renovation – and noticed one entire area being re-done from the bare walls up, so perhaps the work crew will just work their way around the entire resort. From what I saw, it would be a good idea.

The entry area, the lobby, & the pool areas are beautiful. Entering the hotel at night, we were ‘wowed’ and had high expectations for our lodging. Our room, however, was really just a room – nothing special – and showing the wear and tear of repeated guests and the salt air. To be quite honest, the room was a disappointment. The patio door, for example, was corroded to the point that one needed to lift up and pull, not slide, the door open and closed. And it never closed completely. When the wind blew, the curtains billowed out into the room. When the wind blew hard, it howled through the room. Literally.

One of the aspects touted by the hotel advertising as a big plus are the select comfort beds. We arrived late in the evening. Our beds were hard as a rock, inflated to the max, and nearly convex. Attempting to adjust the comfort level via the control did nothing for either bed. Checking all of the connections did nothing. A call to the front desk did nothing. We resigned ourselves to the fact that it would not be a comfortable night’s sleep. It took two contacts with the front desk the next day, for a total of THREE contacts, before we were finally told they WOULD repair the beds rather than saying they would TRY to get to it. I did not think we should have to push the issue so repeatedly. It should have been a high priority for them to tend to the comfort of their guests.

We unfortunately ran into several incidents of feeling guests were not a high priority to the management.

Our room had a refrigerator but no microwave or coffee maker. I do not believe I have ever been in a hotel anywhere else in the world that did not include a coffee maker in the room. It would be such a simple addition and so much appreciated – especially given the unreliability of their onsite Starbucks – which we were told was a luxury provided for the guests. I love Starbucks, but walking a block, from one end of the resort to the other, for my first cup of coffee in the morning is not a luxury.

To make it worse, the coffee shop was unreliable. Though they posted hours, they were rarely open during the posted hours. The restaurant provided complimentary coffee to go, but it tasted horrible. When the Starbucks was closed, guests were redirected to the front desk for assistance. The young man there told us he could make espresso drinks but did not know how to brew coffee. I was instead offered “coffee that was no more than 2 or 3 hours old” which he would “reheat with the steamer wand.” I was a bit taken aback - more so to realize he intended to charge me for reheated, old coffee that would otherwise go down the drain. A coffee maker in the room would solve a number of problems.

The hotel has two large pools – one heated, one not, and three hot tub areas. We had a couple of cold, rainy days, followed by a beautiful, sunny warm day. People naturally headed to the pools only to find everything ice cold. ICE cold. We were told by an employee at the pool, that the pools had all been drained and refilled in preparation for ‘spring break’ and all of the young people who would be arriving. I understand that it is necessary from time to time – but could it not have been done when it was too cold to use the pool area anyhow? I’m pretty sure most of the people who were not spring breakers but nonetheless paying for hotel amenities would have liked to be able to use the pool and to have HOT water in the hot tubs.

The hotel lists a business center as one of the amenties but I challenge you to conduct business other than reading or sending email. One can not, for example, print or fax from the business center. And though the front desk employees said there had been a number of guest complaints about not being able to print documents in the business center, no one seemed to have paid enough attention to notice that the reason nothing prints is that there is not a printer attached to the computers.

The beach, from a distance, was beautiful. But upon walking out to the water, it was littered with cans and assorted trash. Walking up and down the beach, wandering up to other properties, other hotels and rentals did not have the same messy beach. The Isla Grand did not seem to devote employee time to maintaining their beach.

And then came the ‘noisy night’ which the management blamed on the arrival of ‘spring breakers.’ It was true, I never witnessed any of the 60+ year olds screaming from the 4th floor of the tower to the pool, or repeatedly yelling PARRRRRTTY at midnight, but I do not blame the young people entirely for the behavior. It is my expectation that the hotel set a standard for behavior that encourages fun AND respect for others. I do believe the two can go hand-in-hand, but when nothing is said or done to dissuade such behavior, one can expect it to multiply exponentially – and it did.

I know my review is very long, but believe it or not, I am not including every instance of feeling like an under-appreciated guest. I felt like I just happened to be there while they were preparing for the arrival of their cash cows – the spring breakers. Several ‘amenities’ were shuttered and I sometimes felt I was in the way of their SB preparations – like they were just biding their time until the real guests arrived.

I must also say, that when I reached my breaking point and went to the manager about my frustrations of feeling under-appreciated as a customer at the Isla Grand, he was responsive. He listened, apologized and reduced our overall lodging expense by a generous 25%. The reduced rate was certainly more in line with the quality of my experience and I appreciate his doing so. I expected a luxurious resort and the feeling of being pampered for my week on the island. I would rather have paid the amount I expected and had the experience I expected, however, the reduced rate did make me feel a little more positive toward it all.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room. The old rooms are showing their age! Also - please note - this ho...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank JWminnesota

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We have listened carefully and will do all that is necessary to resolve future occurrences. We will notify the City of South Padre regarding the beach debris. We would like to extend a deep apology for all your inconveniences. A mixture of non-spring break guest and spring break guest is not a good combination. We will look at raising awareness for non-spring break guest to avoid future bookings during March. We will continue to reinvest and remodel the hotel to keep up with wear and tear and offer the best product available. We do offer room service so our guests do not have to leave their comfort of their room (ex: early morning coffee). It is our policy to make right what has gone wrong and we are please our management staff took the time to attempt to salvage what was left of your vacation. Again, thank you for your review as this helps us with training and business decisions to improve our services.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

NOTE: we were in the cabanas not the tower: We had reduced rates for rooms with beautiful beachfront views. Rooms were from antiquity in desperate need of re-do (plumbing varied from normal to barely working), grounds were beautiful, service sporadic in facilities (Starbucks random opening and available products), exercise room (out of water cups for 5 days, could not access sanitary wipes to clean equipment), ALL of the soft drink machines were empty for 5 days. The ATM did not work entire stay. Food in Beachcomber restaurant was good and well priced but the service personnel while very charming are not very professional. Nice gift shop with reasonable prices but only open from 8 to 5. One really crazy - most of the rooms have adjoining doors to open as suites if necessary - you might as well open them anyway since they are thin foam core and allow even low conversations to be overheard. Don't worry if you gave up smoking and miss it, the people on the patio next to you will provide all the smoke you need since each patio comes equipped with an inviting ashtray. Housekeeping can be potluck.
Bottom line: beautiful pool, grounds and beach access but facilities are two star at best and personnel, while extremely nice, do not provide quality service. To add insult, the parrots in the lobby screech so loud you have difficulty having a conversation with front desk. BIG NOTE there is no complimentary coffee in the rooms and have to go the Beachcomber -- if it is raining, the cabanas do not have covered access to the main building (restaurant, coffee) - the walk there and back can be 1/4 mile in rain. Overall: not an unpleasant stay but far from excellent property it could be. Would rule out as a business meeting venue.

Room Tip: They will let you see rooms: look for connecting rooms with thin doors (unless sound is not an issue...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Victor T

Dear Guests,
Thank you for taking your time and giving us your review on your recent stay. We apologize for your inconveniences. We will use your review for training purposes to improve our services. All concerns will be addressed and resolved in a timely manner. We do offer room service so our guests do not have to leave their comfort of their room (ex: early morning coffee). Ashtrays are offered on the patio to assist on keeping smoking guest from smoking in the room and keeping the cigarette buds off the property grounds. We will always keep reinvesting and remodeling the hotel, especially since we are a beachfront property. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked two cabana rooms supposedly right on the beach according to staff and pictures. Unfortunately, you could not see the beach or Gulf due to huge sand dunes in front of place.
The TV did not work, there was no coffee pot or micro in room, mattresses were stained but worst
of all, the Smell! It was moldy and no amount of air freshener could mask that smell. Checking in
there was only one clerk who answered phone five times before taking care of us. Staff extremely unfriendly. The bug man walked in on sister just as she got out of shower, saying he was told room empty. Lawn was being cut at 9am in morning in front of condo. I paid the premium price for these rooms because they are suppose to be the best. Except for the location of this property on South Padre, there is nothing else to recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a cabana. Location and grounds were very nice. Room was clean and spacious with balcony. Our only negative comments would be the plumbing in the sink and shower. Really needs attention faucet almost pulling out of sink. Isla Grand has been here for more than 50 years. Having stayed in other beach towns older properties are common. I would stay here again. Also restaurant was very good.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Great property featuring cabana type rooms as well as rental privately-owned condominiums. We stayed in a condominium and were impressed with all of the renovations that have been done in the last few years. Since our visit 5 years ago, kitchens and baths have been upgraded and most recently HD TV service and wireless internet throughout. A major renovation of pool area featuring zero entry and state of the art lighting at night. Windjammer Restaurant offered great quality and reasonably-priced food with a wonderful view--day or night. Quarterdeck Bar provided great live entertainment with no cover charge and only an elevator ride back to our room. Staff was most helpful with questions and requests. Only adverse comment we heard was from a lady on the elevator who had rented privately and was denied access to ice machine, laundry, fitness center etc. so would recommend renting directly from Isla Grand or at least check with them to make sure if renting online that it is approved by Isla Grand to prevent disappointment.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Connie B
Reviewed 20 February 2014

the staff at this place are just bold face liars! had reservations for 2 months in advanced. stop at hotel to confirm the reservations 2 weeks in advance. When my guest arrived the staff said they had given the rooms to some other people. Do NOT waste your time or money on this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014