“Nice winter getaway”

Isla Grand Beach Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Harlingen, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Isla Grand is hands down the best property on South Padre Island, the customer service is amazing and the staff goes above and beyond to meet your needs. The Windjammer Cafes food is amazing and the Quarterdeck is always FUN FUN FUN!

Room Tip: The rooms in the main tower are the best!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Casey W
islagrand, General Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for your review, we greatly apprciate you choosing the Isla Grand Beach Resort. We are more than pleased that we were able to take care of you in the Windjammers Beachfront Cafe and the Quarterdeck Night Club. We would love to see you back sometime, staying with us, dining with us or dancing the night away here with us.
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Pros: good pool area, well kept. Cons: mediocre restaurant, horrible customer service
This property caters to spring break crowds, conference partiers, and teens. This means they treat their guests like they are doing them a favor by allowing them to stay there and possibly potential thieves. I would not recommend nor return here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank trrrmom
islagrand, Front Office Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear trrrmom, Thank you for your review. I apologize for your experience during your stay. We have a long history of being a destination place for Spring Break. During the month of March, the environment is very different from the rest of the year. I invite you to visit our resort during any other time of the year so that you can see for yourself what a beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing environment the Isla Grand has to offer. Have a great day.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Overall this trip was horrible. Upon checking in, Isla Grand workers were hostile and rude, and of course asking for 60$ worth of money for wristbands, room keys, and damage deposits. The hotel seemed run down and dingy from the start. Finally after 35 minutes we finally got to our room, which was the 2 bedroom condo. Walking up the stairs there was dirt covering every inch of the hallway, trash, and even blood splatters. We got into our room and checked for everything and for the most part didnt see any damages. But the quality was very low. Soon we were to discover our shower did not get warm water, so we eventually had to shower in our other friend's room for the rest of the week. The towels were not replaced by the maids, you had to go and exchange them or get charged, which was ridiculous. The room was extremely humid the whole trip, and even damp, even though no windows or doors were open. Our couches were wet all week because of this. Also we left our door open for a little while and it appeared someone dropped off their broken lamp in our room. Confused but knowing it wasnt ours we set it outside our hallway, assuming they would know it wasn't ours considering we had no lamps missing from our original room. However about 3 hours later I was grabbed by the manager and taken into his office. He told to me give 200$ cash for the lamp within 30 minutes or we would be kicked out of the hotel. Asking him why they didnt check the other rooms for missing lamps, not ours for an extra one, he said that isnt the way it worked. So I had to gather all 5 of my roommates and get cash. I understand that the lamp had to be paid for somehow, but I know there could've been a better more respectable way about doing it. As the week went on, one of our roommates had to check out early. She told us to just get her deposit back for her and bring it to her later, since they had to inspect the room first. Turns out they claimed she "never paid her deposit" and they "had no record of it" Safe to say we were all livid and asked to see the security cameras, knowing she had paid it. The man went into his office, snipped a pic of the tv screen on his phone, and said that was her standing at the desk, but about 5 seconds later she took the money back that was on the counter. He could give us no proof of this but after an hour of waiting around trying to get her money back, we just walked out. Overall this was a below average hotel with extremely poor service and hostile workers. I would not advise anyone to go here, ever. Save yourself the money and the frustration.

Room Tip: Choose none of them. Don't go.
8 Thank Maggie W
Dear Maggie W, Thank you for your review. We take all feedback very seriously. We are looking into you allegations. Thank you for your stay.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Ill make this short and sweet! I never write reviews but I dont anyone to make the mistake of booking a room there. The rooms were expensive and they were SOOOO run down! Literally looked like a 70s hotel! Didnt even have a microwave!!! Had to buy bracelets and a 60 dollar security deposit! Just a horrible expensive time. Stayed at the Hilton and it was wayyy better! A room inspection on already broken stuff! Our door literally came off the hinge the first day there and we never even came close to touching it. Had to fix it ourself so they wouldnt charge us another mortage. Just stay soooo far away from this place and save money and a headache.

Room Tip: Stay AWay!
7 Thank stinman82
islagrand, General Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to write. Our hotel was one of the original hotels built on beautiful South Padre Island & we have kept much of its essence to provide a true resort feeling. We do renovations throughout the year to keep up wear and tear and provide a clean & pleasant experience. Spring break is a challenging time for properties on South Padre Island. Deposits & wristbands are unfortunately a necessary procedure we ONLY do during this time of year. May we suggest visiting our beautiful property any other time of year, like a summer vacation? Again, thank you for your comments and we apologize for any misunderstanding you may have encountered. We take all comments good or bad seriously and use it to better our services.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Spent three nights at Isla Grand to attend a conference held there. No one told us at time of booking that it was also beach week and hundreds of drunk and loud college students kept volume up at night until after midnight. The last night was the worst as the hotel advertised (not to us who made reservations from afar) that the hotel was hosting a pool party until 2 am-- needless to say no one was quiet and the allegedly 600 or more kids partied long after most of needed to go to sleep. The hotel staff was less than sympathetic with our need for at least a little sleep. I would never return to this hotel again for this and the fact the hotel needs major renovations.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Richard M
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write about your recent experience. Your conference (Trauma Regional) has been booked during the latter part of spring break since at least 2010. Each year we do offer free admission for anyone attending the conference for our pool party and offer ear plugs for those guests who choose not to attend. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We most defiantly will inform Trauma Regional about your experience to better inform the attendees for the future conferences. Our goal is for our guests to have a positive & memorable experience.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Went for Spring Break and was treated like a second-class citizen. Yes I understand college kids are partiers but my room was spotless when I left; no room parties here. Had to fill out a "share form" with everyone's information staying in the room. I faxed this in and upon check-in, they said they never got it, so I gave them the original. When my roommate went to check in later, they told her they didn't have the information. Each guest had to pay $20 IN CASH for a wrist band (kind of shady) and a $60 security deposit. The weather was cold and rainy the first few days so having no indoor hallways from the room to the lobby/other rooms was terrible. No pool/beach towels were available so I had to buy one or risk losing a room one to crazy spring breakers and be charged money for my missing towel. There wasn't enough ice in the ice machines, so they were selling it. You had to exchange your own towels at the hotel laundry if you wanted fresh ones. In general, the place was kind of run-down and in need of a MAJOR renovation. There was clearly a leak in my ceiling (bubbling paint and wet carpet) but when I called maintenance, they tried to claim there wasn't one. Couldn't get hot water so I had to call maintenance again and even after that the hot water was just intermittent. The wall in my shower was bowing outwards and the caulk around the entire shower area was peeling off. The room was terribly humid and musty; all of my plane documents were floppy and my towels and bathing suit didn't dry out. The Sleep Number beds were broken. The comforters needed to be replaced; they were fraying. There was mold on the curtains. The carpet was pretty gross. My TV only displayed shades of rainbow. No coffee maker in the room. No lotion or mouthwash provided, just a bar of soap and a tiny packet of shampoo. No liner for the ice bucket. The first 3 days, the hot tubs were so cold and when a friend asked a manager to turn the heat up, he told her to "have Daddy write him a check and maybe he'll think about it." Security guards were rude to everyone yet did nothing to stop a guy stealing a girl's phone. The poolside bars switched over to cash only in the middle of the day Wednesday, which was a huge pain since everything else on SP is cash only too. You also can't even bring a water bottle into the pool area because they want you to buy their drinks. The restaurant was really just ok for the prices they charged and they definitely needed to clean up the grimy chairs. Upon checkout, you had to have a room inspection as well as have your towels in one pile and your trash all in one bag. (maid service?) My roommate checked out early because of an early flight, and when I went to check out at the desk they tried to charge ME for the missing room key, claiming she was still listed as "checked in." Another friend paid her security deposit in cash, and the hotel claimed they had no record of it, and charged her another $60. Overall, the hotel staff was either rude or comepletely clueless. They didn't know what they were doing-whether it was trying to check someone in/out or place an order in the restaurant. Check in also took forever because there were only 3 people working, yet hundreds of people were trying to check in. We waited almost a half-house. Location-wise, the hotel is set pretty far back and doesn't have good sidewalks to walk on. Yes we had a beach, but unless you walked quite a bit for other food/alcohol, you were screwed without a car. I paid for the room myself, which cost me $1800 for Saturday-Thursday and was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. I just want my money back; I've stayed at $100 a night hotels that were ten times better than this one. For what I paid here (with the expensive mediocre food, $10 drinks, ATM withdrawals) I could've gone to an all-inclusive resort and actually enjoyed myself.

6 Thank Katie C
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to write about your recent experience. We have taken the time to read your comments to take action to better offer services in the future to our spring break guests. As you already know, spring break is a challenging time for all properties on beautiful South Padre Island. For three weeks our operation is slightly modified and we apologize for all the inconveniences you and your guests encountered. We will work to better our services during this challenging time of year to provide a memorable stay.