“Cabana Rooms With a View Revived from the 50s”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Cabana Rooms With a View Revived from the 50s”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed in one of the cabana rooms with the garden view and really loved it. The landscaping was impeccable; nicely arranged tropical foliage and manicured lawns which lead down to the beach area. The beach is kept very clean and the water doesn't have that fishy-oil smell that it does higher up the coast of Texas--very sweet-smelling beach which is seaweed and garbage free. Good shelling when the tide is out.
The room was very clean with plenty of towels. The one thing I didn't care for was the sleep number bed. I raised it up and I felt like I was laying on sheet rock. Then I let the air out and could feel the boards inside. Yikes! However, my partner loved his bed. He's a floor dweller at home.
The service was excellent and the rooms were always cleaned on time every day. This was great.
The pools were clean and well maintained with beautiful lighting which changed colors after dark. One of the two pools had a gradient so small children could play on the edge--very nice family resort.
I loved the restaurant. The food was just like a home-cooked meal and the staff was friendly and accomodating.
The feel of the rooms was an updated reno, but still had this nostalgic, old-world ambience in which I found quite charming.
This would have been a been a perfect vacation and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the mean guy with the beach chairs in front of the hotel. There was no sign or indication they were for rent, and I thought they went with the hotel. I laid down and was watching the waves when he came over and said "You can't sit there, it's thirty dollars. If you don't like that go to Motel Six the next time."
That really killed the whole joy of the day. I went down the street and bought a chair and used this instead. They really need to have a sign that there is a fee to use the chairs to better set guests' expectations.
Otherwise, a beautiful and enjoyable place I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Garden view is a great stay with a huge window overlooking the grounds and it's always cheaper t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa G
islagrand, Front Office Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Teresa G, Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the service you received at the beach rental place. They are privately owned and operated and are not affiliated with the hotel. However, I will provide your feedback to the Isla Grand ownership on this matter. I’m glad you found your accommodations clean and charming. It’s also great to hear you enjoyed the food at the Windjammers restaurant and experienced our friendly staff. Thanks for the great recommendation. We hope to see you back at the Isla Grand soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Mount Pleasant, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a great place to hang out for a week. The lay out of the property is excellent with the 2 pools and easily accessible pool bar and grill; tennis courts looked to be in great shape; beach umbrella & chair service is nice as well. I love having live entertainment every afternoon outside on the deck and every evening inside the bar. We stayed in the cabana rooms and like the convenience of outside access into your room without having to go inside thru a hotel lobby. It is not a fancy swank hotel, but an awesome place to stay on the beach.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott T
islagrand, Front Office Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Scott T, Tank you for choosing to stay with us at the Isla Grand Beach Resort. I’m gland you had an awesome time. We do offer unique layout with 4 tennis courts, 2 large pools: one of which is heated, and extensive grounds. It’s also nice to hear you enjoyed our poolside bar as well as our poolside grill and nightly live entertainment. We hope to see you soon.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our family enjoyed our first visit to the Isla Grand very much! From free covered parking to convenient beach access, it was just what we were looking for. Our condo was spacious and comfortable with an incredible view. The beds were comfortable, the kitchen was convenient and well equipped. We were never able to access wi-fi from our room, but it was fine with us to be "off grid" for a few days anyway. The pool area was amazing, beautiful and clean. Our children enjoyed this part of their stay even more than the lovely beach! The restaurant served delicious food and we enjoyed the entertainment. Although we could give a couple of minor dings to the condition of the room, I believe it was just normal wear and tear that could easily be addressed. Despite a clogged toilet the first night of our stay, it was fixed literally within one hour of a call to the front desk! Overall, our vacation was what we hoped it would be. The staff was kind to us, from the porter to the housekeeping and restaurant team, maintenance and front desk people; we appreciated the pampering. Our family hopes to return one day!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Momof4SpursFan, Thank you for your review. I’m pleased to hear you had a great time at the Isla Grand. I apologize for the wi-fi as well as the restroom. I’m glad we were able to resolve it quickly. Its great to know you enjoyed all of the amenities our resort has to offer and were pampered by our staff. We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for choosing the Isla Grand.
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This was a business and some leisure trip. This is a good property for a Texas beach get away. The beach in South Padre is the best in Texas. The rooms are average, beach appropriate, and the pool area is great. This is my second stay in two months. Not as impressed as the the first time but this is peak season so it is very busy there. The quarterdeck staff and Rafael at the whiskey shack are great! Friendly and enjoy people! It would be a good place for a family vacation!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Julie W. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I agree, South Padre Island is the best beach in Texas! I’m glad you enjoyed our great pool and friendly staff at the Quarterdeck and Whiskey Shack. We look forward to seeing you soon
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Isla Grande Beach Resort is a beautiful place to relax. The staff was very welcoming and our accommodations in the two bedroom condo were quite comfortable. After checking the website and feeling the vibes of a Caribbean type getaway right here in TX, that boasted nightly entertainment, I was convinced this was the place to be. The music (solo singer) that played from the restaurant to the pool was very relaxing. However, I was disappointed in the group that played mostly rock music at the Windjammer. I would suggest you book groups that offer a variety of music that all people can enjoy!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear MJM803, Thank you for your review. I’m glad to hear you had a relaxing time at our beautiful resort. Our 2 bedroom condos are quite comfortable and offer a great view of the Gulf of Mexico. The singer you referred to is Kaleigh Glanton from the Voice. She does have a relaxing sound. We do have different bands that play at the Quarterdeck every 2 weeks, typically. Thank you for choosing the Isla Grand. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us soon.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

From day 1 everything was awesome. Staff was friendly and caring. Food was excellent. Entertainment was awesome. The pools were amazing!! The view from my room was pretty great too! We will be going back!!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

islagrand, Front Office Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Angela C, Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad you liked our friendly staff, excellent food and awesome entertainment. Sounds like you had a great time. We look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you for choosing the Isla Grand.
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our recent trip to the Isla Grand was a perfect trip to paradise. The accomodations were excellent and the staff could not have been more attentive. A beautiful spot for family time. We will definitely return here.

Room Tip: We had a corner room. It has lots of windows and a wrap around balcony for better viewing of the be...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Lisa K, Thank you for your wonderful review. I’m its great to know your room was excellent and our staff was very attentive. Thank you for staying at the Isla Grand. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.