“Great place and a fun atmosphere”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family had a great stay here. The staff was very friendly from the minute we checked in to the minute we left. The grounds are well taken care of and it really feels like a tropical resort. The amenities were great and there was something for everyone. The pool was nice and there were plenty of chairs. The resort is ocean front so it was a very short walk to get to the water. Since there's everything you will need during a stay there's not really a reason to even need to leave the property during a stay.

The room was nice and clean when we checked in. The only complaint was the sleep number bed, which had a problem with the air chambers on one side of the bed making it very uncomfortable to sleep on. Outside of that, our stay was wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason O
islagrand, Front Office Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear, Jason O, Thank you for your review. I’m glad you and your family had a great stay at the Isla Grand Beach Resort. I apologize for the SN bed malfunction. I hope we were able to resolve that for you quickly. It’s great to hear you found all our staff to be very friendly from check-in to check-out. I’m glad you took advantage of our newly remodeled pool, enjoyed your clean and nice room, and had a very short walk to the beach. Thank you for choosing the Isla Grand Beach Resort. I hope you come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My sister and her family where here celebrating her birthday weekend the 8th - 10th. She also brought along some of her close friends the the Ozuna's, the Tellez's and the Vickers. I unfortunately was only able to come out for one night Saturday the 9th. Here is my problem, and mind you I worked at Omni Hotels for a couple of years so I know what a review can do and I know what service should be like.
Saturday morning as I left San Antonio I called my sister who was already checked in here to ask how things were going, the first thing she said was make sure you call ahead because my room wasn't ready until around 5:20pm. Check in time is 4:00pm! She also stated that her friends the Vickers room wasn't ready until 6:30pm! The Vickers were compensated for the delay but my sister was not. She also states that they asked if they could have a late check out since their room wasn't ready but were told they could not. So I called the front desk and asked about early check in and she said it is not guaranteed but come to the front desk when you get here check in and we will put you on a list and when a room becomes available we will call you. So we arrived around 1:00pm and stopped by the front desk to check in. The front desk stated your more then welcome to use our facilities till your room is ready and we will call you as soon as a room becomes available. So we met up with my sister and friends, had their birthday gathering, went to the beach etc.... 4:05pm comes along and no call. I stop by the front desk and ask about my room and they call Cabana Housekeeping right in front of me and she tells me it will be ready in 30 minutes. I leave go to the pool and check back with the front desk at 4:50pm and the guy calls housekeeping again in front if me and says ok we are sending housekeeping to go inspect the room. 15 minutes later he keeps calling housekeeping for the status of the room and they do not respond. He apologizes and goes to the back. 5 minutes later he comes out and says ok your room is ready. At this time it's 5:20pm...check in was at 4:00pm. I don't mind not being able to check in early but having to check in late after I arrived early was not a great start! The room was nothing special and unfortunately we had a tub with hair strands and slow drain and the sliding door would not open or close unless you lifted it. Musky smell but our time was gonna be spent out doors anyways. Bed was large but the bedding really needs to be updated, ours looked like it had been washed to many times.
I had the Bed and Breakfast stay so I received a voucher for $30. Sunday at 9:30am I called private dinning, couldn't get an answer so called the front desk to place my order who then transferred me to private dinning. My order arrived at 10:40am...it's ok they might have been busy and the food was still hot, but check out was at 11:00am. The lady that brought my food said that the delivery service charge was not covered by the voucher so I gave her cash for the service charge and her tip. My total wasn't even the full $30. By this time i was a little irritated and was like I'm gonna eat my food and not be rushed. I will check out when we are done eating. We load up drive to the front desk around 11:12am and the lady at the front desk tells me ok your balance is $24. I say why and she says for breakfast and say I had a voucher and she says oh yea I see it here. She called another agent and they called the restaurant and said I apologize but they have to find your receipt. The front desk called and 15 minutes later they confirmed I had no charges and let me check out. Sheesh.....delays and no communication is all I can say. It is very important to get it together because those there for a short stay feel it even more.
I do have to say the pool staying open a little past 10:00pm with no problem was a good thing. And the hot dogs and cheeseburger hut next to the pool was very convenient. We also got to see a guy propose to his girl poolside... It was nice!
Overall not satisfied and not sure if I would return.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Veroshot

Dear Veroshot, Thank you for your review. I apologize for your late check-in and room issues. Thank you for your feedback regarding the room and private dinning. We are working to correct miscommunication. I’m glad you enjoyed our newly remodeled pool. I hope the rest of your stay was pleasant. I hope you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with our two boys age 5 and 9 and rented a beach access cabana. The room was nice a little small but we just used the room to shower and sleep. Not once did we turn on the tv. It was really nice to walk out the back door and in 6 steps your standing on the beach. We had a queen with a fold out couch. The room had a fridge so we didn't even spend a dime at the bar. They have beach chairs and umbrella's for rent 30.00 a day seemed like a deal since they set up and take down. They also have boogie boards, fishing poles, beach balls for rent as well. The sand was white and the water was clear, I was shocked the Texas had such a clean beach and we have been to every other beach in TX. I would have to say that this is up there with Cabo but much less walking to get to the beach. There are two pools that the kids loved as well. There is kids activities as well like sand building, arts and crafts for free. The bar and grill has an great view and good music. I could go on and on about this place. We are trying to figure out what week we will book again.
Pros: Beach front, clean, friendly staff, night crab hunt, discount Schlitterbahn tickets, close to a lot of eateries, cvs and more.
Cons: no microwave or coffee maker in room.

Stayed: August 2014
islagrand, Front Office Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Lsal14, Thank you for your kind review. Thank you for staying with us at the Isla Grand Beach resort. I’m very pleased that you and your family had a great experience. Our beach front cabanas are just a few feet from the seawall. Sonny’s Beach Service offers the water sports and beach rentals. They are located at the edge of our property on the seawall. Summer time brings is family fun to our beach resort. Kids Activities including free sandcastle building lessons for our Guests run thru the end of August. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My 3 boys and I stayed last week for 3 days. We had a blast and will stay at the Isla for our next visit to S. Padre.
Here are my comments:
Pros: very nice property, directly on the beach. If you look at the photos, there is a somewhat private area next to the tennis courts. The distance to the water is actually shorter than what it looks like in the photos. There's a hut next to the courts that rents beach chairs, umbrellas, and parasailing. Two of my boys went on the parasail and enjoyed it. I noticed the tow boat did not really move alot, a little disappointing My parasail experience in Negril had the boat move quite a bit.
The pool is nice, two pools actually. At night the colors change red/blue/green, very nice. There's a liquor hut and burger/dogs hut next to it. The waterfall and fire on top add a nice touch.
Our room was part of a stay/plan package and was nice. Not very large, but we selected a king-only bed and used the full size coach for one of the younger kids.
Bathroom had shower only but was nice. Our room was at the very end which gave us direct access to a back sidewalk that was only 10 yards from the sandline.
There is a nice restaurant overlooking the pools and facing the beach. It was clean, food was pretty good.

Small fitness room had a couple of treadmills, benches and dumbbells. Adequate but not for my oldest and I are work out a lot.

Cons:
Room: came with a fridge but no microwave or coffee pot. The room sleeps 4 people. Only four pillows were provided. I asked the maid to get one, but it never happened. I should have called guest services but went instead to the front desk. Note to management: one tiny garbage can is not enough for a family. Bathroom had a garbage can but still...

Restaurant: food was good but way over priced. $3.75 for a glass of OJ or apple juice. I had a $30 per day coupon which helped but everything was an add-on that jacked up the price. Bfast for my 3 boys and I always came out over $55. Sorry, but a large waffle should not cost $10. I don't care if you stick the bacon or ham in the batter. But it is an on-site restaurant....
Our last day's breakfast was good but the server forgot to bring one of my boys an egg on the side but still charged us. I took the ticket to the register and got no apology from the server. Credit was given... As in any restaurant, check your ticket before paying.

Overall staff experience... front desk was professional and nice, very helpful except for one issue, see below. Gift shop had a good selection of items. There's a coffee shop next to the gift shop that servers Starbucks coffee and assorted ice cream.

If you need to do laundry, you have to go to the towers and hope the single washer/dryer on 6 of the floors is available. $3.50 for a load total.

Now about the wi-fi service. It's free but problematic... I could easily get on with my Windows laptop. However my son and I had problems with our iPhones, mine 4s, his 5c It was sporatic with connectivity and through-put. I gave up after the first night. I asked the front desk clerk and he was unhelpful, didn't care, and didn't have a clue. Annoying! I'm an IT guy but I didn't want to spend time trying to figure it out because I was on vacation. But note to management: what's up with the clerk's attitude, and ask your IT tech to check into this.

We were there during the week so parking was available. The hotel is on the main drag so it's convenient to CVS, KFC, and other touristy places.

The convenience to the beach, grounds and ambiance with the palm tree, flowers, and lighted pool was very nice.
We'll be returning again.

Room Tip: Use a package if available. I received a 20% discount plus $30/day bfast coupon. Still, you pay a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MyThreeBoysandDad
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Wonderful hotel with great staff! We have been going to the Isla Grand for the past 20 years every summer with family meeting from all over the United States. It has consistently been top notch and we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. Within walking distance to wonderful shops and restaurants~ perfect for families with children of any age or for a couple looking for a romantic getaway on the island!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This has been one of the best beach vacations ever! It's my first time on the Island and certainly won't be my last. I love to travel and have been to many places both in and out of country. This will be a lengthy review because I simply have a lot to say :)

Pros:
Location of the hotel and the rooms. Family friendly. Kids activity and club. Awesome pools. Nice food options. Beach rental kiosk available. Friendly staff. Knowledgeable smiling managers. customer oriented. Free WIFI. Free parking (2 lots for convenience). staff will go out of their way to help you and insure you are happy. I love the condos in the tower. Nice reception. Clean hotel. Fast room service. Just overall wonderful!

Cons:
Some of the rooms need renovation. The towel rule of return before 10 p.m. or will be charged $20 per towel. Beach rental place takes almost the whole front, there should be more space for those who have their own umbrella sets. You only get an answer if you call the front desk, but room service/housekeeping/internet tech support don't answer their phones.

A specific issue resolved by management:
When we first checked into the hotel, we didn't like the view from our beachfront room since it overlooked a vast grassy area instead of the beach. The staff didn't hesitate to provide an alternative of two rooms to choose from. We chose a beautiful first floor room with a stunning beach view which was literally in the sand. However, the room had a stench that was just unbearable. The front desk sent several people to investigate and try to clean up in hope that it will go away, but unfortunately it didn't. Immediately a manager was notified (Yvette) and she got right to work. Long story short, we were given another room just for the night and allowed to leave our stuff in the stinky one. Yvette even went so far in compensating that we were upgraded to a high floor condo the following morning. She was able to get permission from her manager to even refund our first night or extend our stay in the condo. We chose to extend the stay one night. The condo is simply amazing!Stunning view, spotless clean, very comfortable beds, full kitchen, unbelievable balcony, and very spacious. Yvette not only did her best, but it was all done with empathy and a smile. When I come back, which I certainly will, I'll definitely ask to see her. I also dealt with other managers who were very polite and willing to help. This is definitely a memorable vacation.

Room Tip: The tower condos are your best bet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LendaIsaac
Reviewed 5 August 2014

South Padre is the best beach in Texas and this resort hotel is the best on the island. The staff is helpful and friendly, there are plenty of activities, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. There are great choices for food right in the hotel and there are many places a short drive away. The beach is great at this spot and it is nice to have two pools to relax in after the ocean. I love the grill by the pools and the rooms flank the pool unless you are in the condo tower. Night life is fun and the live music on the deck is a great family experience. This is not a high society location so if you expect the Ritz, then you have come to the wrong place. If you want a great family vacation with little stress, you will find it here.

Room Tip: The first floor is better if you have kids.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family