“Would definately stay here again!!!!!”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Houston, Texas
“Would definately stay here again!!!!!”
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Just returned from a 4 day mini vacation. I have always used Trip Advisors for hotels, etc. I was alittle concerned about staying here after reading some of the recent reviews. But, after staying I was very pleased with the property. The rooms were just alittle dated, however, they were clean and the bed was comfortable. The water in the shower got very hot. The TV was a nice flat screen and we were able to get many stations. We stayed in a pool side view room but was able to see the beach. The drinks at the poolside bar were very strong. Didn't really care for the turbo, but the hammerheads were pretty good. We ate at the restaurant twice, both times were buffet and we enjoyed the food and the service. Went to the bar (Upperdeck) , but was pretty busy so didn't stay but it looked good.
If I go back to Padre Island, I wouldn't hesitate staying here again. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We also ate dinner at Sea Ranch and it was excellent and ate at Dirty Al's, they have the best New Orleans boiled shrimp.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sunbratHouston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
McAllen
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My fiance and I made a spontaineous trip to SPI one Saturday and decided to stay overnight and booked a room at the Isla Grand (room 204, pool side). I suppose everything was satisfactory until I woke the next morning. I had welts on my lower back and the right side of my hip that burned and itched. I showed my fiance and he commented that I must have been bit by something but it was unlike any bite I had ever experienced. I pretty much ignored it thinking it would go away and we checked out Sunday about noon. By Monday my welts had reddened and began to blister...it looked as though I had been burned where the initial welts were and I also began to have a reaction and develop a rash over my torso and hips. I had my fiances contact the hotel to let them know and ask if they could search the room to try and identify any pests if possible to help figure out what had bit/stung me and suggest they do a thorough sweep and cleaning of the room before anyone else became a midnight snack. They were of very little help and took his information and said the manager was not in but they would pass on the message. Tuesday morning I was at my doctors office because I was even worse. My physician was not entirely sure what had bit me so I was prescribed oral and topical medications. My fiance called again Tuesday and Wednesday to no avail and then finally on Thursday he called and was fianally connected to someone who claimed to be a manager. My fiance informed him about what happened and got his email address and emailed him photos. The manager said he would contact him after doing some investigation. We have not heard anything since. Meanwhile, I have had 3 visits to my physician total trying to deal with the bites I got and mercifully I started to heal but it has been almost a full month and I still have unsightly marks on my back and hips that I expect are going to be there a while. I think the most disturbing thing is the lack of help/ concern on the part of management. There are too many other places to stay at SPI so dont stay here! We are going this weekend and you can bet the Isla Grand is not where we have reservations. I will never, ever stay there again and I am making sure to pass on my experience to my family, friends and co-workers!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank greeneyedgirl78
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My Family just returned from what we thought would be a great vacation:( I thought I would splurge alittle but Isla Grand is by far the most terrible MOTEL (this is no resort as stated people) and I use to be a Flight Attendant so I've stayed many places! We basically paid for an expensive pool to swim in. The room was dirty (walls, bed, sink, floor etc) I honestly thought about sleeping in the car if would have been much nicer but we didn't have a TV in there for the kids! I did read the reviews but thought it couldn't be that bad it was the RADISSON, oh it was that bad. Plan your stay as you wish but I will promise you, you will be like me and wish you read these reviews to heart and spend your $ on a nice place:)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank reneetyson4
Del Rio, TX
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Isla Grand Beach Resort, or the old Radisson, is old, dirty and overpriced. There is heavy dust in the air-conditioning vents. There is mold in the bathroom and the room smelled moldy.
Parking stinks. We asked and paid for a king-sized room and wound up with two double beds!
We are in our early 60's and tall people. The workers at the front desk are difficult to understand as they are foreigners. You have to pre-pay for your stay and cannot cancel or you will lose your money. The wifi was down nearly the entire time, 4 days, we were there.
Do not stay here. There are too many other places to choose from as well as condos that have motel service.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TallTexasGal
San Marcos
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I recently stayed at the Isla Grand on South Padre. We had a cabana room close to the beach. I always use travel wise to check out the hotels and resorts before hand. The reviews i had read had made me very uneasy but since i didn't have an option on where i was going to stay since i was on business i went on a wing and a prayer.. the lobby is nice... clean but not too many helpful people. maybe it was so many of us checking in.. either way i would have expected a friendlier reception. The room had double sleep number beds...WHICH AT FIRST i thought would be great but werent. they were single chamber and would shift around when you would move in the bed. the room was clean though and everything was in working order. There was some peeling wall paper in the restroom some lose and cracked tiles in the corners but nothing that was a hazard or super unsightly. The grounds were beautiful and very clean. the food was good but not the best on the island. Overall it was a good stay.. but i wouldn't pay the 369.00 a night fee that the room rents for.. The cleaning staff however was super friendly and helpful.. maybe they should trade places with the front desk folks. hope this helps..oh yeah... the walls were kinda thin... you could hear the tv and sneezes through the walls... that wasn't great

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
South Bend, IN
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Visited this resort in February, 2009. We had a two bedroom unit with a full kitchen and were quite pleased. Furnishings in the living area and second bedroom were outdated but clean. Full kitchen with dishwasher, full refrigerator, plenty of dishes, pans, silverware. Nice view of the gulf, beachfront property, two pools, three hot tubs, tennis courts, tiki bar, restaurant with happy hour with free hor'dourves, nightly entertainment. Great location. Friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Because our plans were flexible I had not made reservations, instead choosing to decide when we got to the island. The Palms was full so we called the Isla Grand (Radisson) and confirmed availability and price. We drove over there (5 minutes from the Palms) and were told the rooms were now 20% more than what we were quoted. After being handed the phone to "call reservations" and speaking to someone that I couldn't hear very well, I just told the person at the desk that "she said it was ok" and got the better rate.

The lobby and grounds looked very nice, but the 2 bedroom condo was not. Picture a condo built and decorated 20 years ago and not updated since. The stove only had two burners (out of four) that worked, and there was a strong smell of bleach throughout. Volume on one of the tv's didn't work (either via remote or buttons on the tv), and there were many stains on the carpet and tile. The laminate countertops were actually worn through to the wood in spots.

The hot tubs were warm, although the jets did not work. The pool around the hot tubs was very cold (which I liked). We didn't try the other pool with the waterfall.

The beach was clean and had nice powdery sand, but because the weather had turned cold for the weekend we just did a leisurely walk - no real beach time.

We packed up early and headed for a road trip to Progresso.

I would look to stay elsewhere next time.

• Liked — Nice beach and grounds
  • Disliked — VERY dated and worn rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends