“Very Nice Stay”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
San Antonio, TX
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

Disclaimer: I grew up on the South Jersey Shore and went into this trip knowing a beach resort was not going to be anything upscale - it's the beach.
We were pleasantly surprised with our visit to Isla Grand. We booked a Beachfront room with 2 double beds (traveling with our 7 year old and 12 year old). The room was plenty big enough with a beautiful view of the gulf. We were on the 2nd floor on the end with the dunes - I will say I wouldn't have wanted to pay for beachfront and gotten a first floor room on this end as you would have seen nothing but dunes. We were literally steps from the sand. The room had ample space to store beach chairs, etc. and a small counter w/sink and fridge - enough to fix sandwiches for lunch which is really all we used it for. The lobby is nice and has a gift shop with pretty much everything you would need for a beach vacation. They have free children's activities all day which would be nice if you wanted a break from the sun. We had a very nice dinner, an average breakfast and a good lunch at Windjammers (beautiful views). (You must, must, must eat at Gabriella's around the corner - best meal of the trip.) All parasailing, banana boating, etc can be done right out on the beach in front of the hotel. The pool is beautiful with a nice little pool bar that serves great pina coladas. Just know going in that you are at a beachfront hotel - salt water does a number on things so it's not going to be a 5 star resort hotel...but it's clean, every staff person we dealt with was friendly, and everything you need is right on property. We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank frog0823

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Bulverde, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

stayed here with my then boyfriend and got the wrong room on check in. we booked a kind and they put us in doubles. he was 6 ft 3 in. nice hot tubs and within walking distance to the beach but overpriced. I'll never go back there as the man I went there with and got engaged there with turned out to be a real ^%&.
The breakfast buffet was good and there is a nice view of the beach from the windows in the restaurant.

It's ok I just won't go back there because it would remind me of a very mean man.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

This "hotel" is very deceptive looking. It is overpriced, rundown, moldy, etc. The first day we arrived, we had to wait 2 hours for our room to become available. When we finally got in, the room was smelly and old. We walked out on the decrepit balcony and spoke to our neighbors who were extremely disappointed. They were checking out and staying somewhere else. The man said it was obvious where they had spent renovation $: the grounds and the lobby. I wish we had left, too. :( We spent 3 days there and tried to make the best out of it. Upon returning, I noticed my three year old covered in bed bug bites. Disgusting! Now I am taking her to the doctor and must set about fumigating our home and washing our linens. Do not stay here!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank noelle_2007
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

I booked a two night stay for myself and my grandson at the Isla Grand because I assumed from the price of the room (299/night) and the hotel's claim to have recently completed extensive renovations that we would be staying in an upscale hotel akin to a Hilton Resort. What a huge disappointment!!

The room was very small and musty smelling and the only new items included a flat panel tv and sleep number beds which contained bed bugs (we both awakened the following morning with extenisve bites!)

Upon complaining at the front desk the next day, we waited 45 minutes to talk to a manager whose only concession was a $99 credit for the remaining night we were supposed to stay.

We left there and checked in to a Holiday Inn Express which room was twice the size of the one at the Isla Grand, was clean and fresh smelling and cost 1/2 half the price of what I paid at Isla Grand!

• Stayed July 2010
3 Thank HotelReviewSPadre
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

My boyfriend and I just returned from out trip to SPI, and I felt strongly about leaving a review for this hotel! DO NOT STAY HERE!! The website makes it look amazing... do not be fooled!!

Neither of us had been to SPI before, so we used a couple of travel websites to find a nice hotel to spend the night. We had a couple of options but decided that the Isla Grand Resort would be the nicest and most enjoyable for our stay (according to our web research). We booked the hotel over the phone and were very excited for our overnight stay at the islands "PREMIER RESORT"- total BS.

As we arrived, I was less than excited about the exterior of the hotel. My boyfriend seemed to think that there was still hope, but I was sure that we were getting ourselves into something we hadn't expected. We parked the car and walked into the lobby where we were helped right away. The young staff member at the desk gave us an itinerary, a map of the grounds and two room keys which she told us we would be fined if we didn't return. She told us to pull the car around to the side where our room was. This was the first sign.

We pulled the car around the main part of the building (where we thought we were staying) to a smaller parking lot. We looked ahead and saw a "side of the road" motel style building with room numbers on the doors. My boyfriend and I both looked at each other, died laughing and said "ARE YOU SERIOUS??" We like to stay at nice hotels but when you think you're staying at the "Premier hotel" of the island and you pull up to a run down Motel 6 looking place there is nothing to do but laugh.

We decided to check the room out before getting the hell out of there. We left our luggage in the car and walked to the door. IT SEEMED LIKE THERE WAS A HOMELESS MAN AND A DUMPSTER MISSING FROM THE SCENE.
We opened the door to a poorly decorated room with a crappy excuse for a balcony. The bathroom was tiny and overall it was NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED.
We had to make a game plan to get out of this place ASAP! There was no way we were staying in this hotel.
We spent the next 40 minutes driving around the island trying to find a nicer place and were lucky to find that the Sheraton had a room available, and they even gave us a discounted price because we told them about our HORROR story at Isla Grand AKA Motel 6.
Now that we had secured a decent place to stay we HAD to check out of Motel 6!!!
My boyfriend made up a story about a family emergency and they gave him a full refund.
We enjoyed the rest of the trip at the Sheraton, and were pleased with our accomodations there.

We read ALL of the reviews for Isla grand in the car on the way home and were thankful that we didn't stay. Someone had written something about getting bedbugs from room 204, and that was the room we were checked into!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SamSacchetti
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

My family and I stayed in a 2 bedroom condo, which was ancient. Crummy furniture, moldy bathrooms, but amazingly great service. The resort is beautiful, but the condo that we stayed in was bad. We caught a peek of the room next door, and it was gorgeous. If you plan to stay there, make sure you get in one of the newly redocorated condos.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank kj999
Austin, Texas, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

Like many college students, some friends and I headed down to South Padre Island for Spring Break this past year. We chose the Isla Grand hotel due to its location (it plays host to the Coca Cola Beach venue) and the location does not disappoint. Because we weren't coming down until the tail end of Texas Week (and staying through the following week), I expected the hotel to be fairly trashed; fortunately, the hotel and our rooms were very clean despite hordes of drunken college students in attendance.

The two pools are big and spacious, however the lounge chairs fill up quickly. On Wednesday night there is an Inertia Tours sponsored pool party at the Isla Grand pools. The hotel is right on the beach and the 2-bedroom condo's in the main tower offer fantastic beach-front views. There were a couple hiccups (sleep number bed didn't work, rooms were only cleaned when explicitly requested, some visible mold in the bathroom, you couldn't use both showers at once because there wasn't sufficient water pressure -- both faucets would just dribble out cold water, toilets had flushing problems), but considering my reasons for staying there, all of these were livable conditions. I'd imagine I'd be writing a distinctly different review had I been staying there for any other reason than Spring Break.

Unfortunately, as other reviewers have mentioned, the front-desk service can be terrible. I found most of the front-desk workers to be friendly and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, I had the displeasure of running into Eddie, a kid who looked fresh out of high school, multiple times throughout my stay. Eddie was not only condescending and pompous, but horribly uninformed and ineffective at his job. He openly lied to us, had difficulty understanding how someone could reserve two rooms and only stay in one, attempted to double-charge me the deposit fee and, immediately after applying a security wrist-band too tightly on one of my friend's wrist, attempted to collect a $10 "replacement wristband" fee. I strongly hope that he was a Spring Break seasonal/part-time hire because he was absolutely insufferable.

Five stars for location and relative cleanliness, -.5 for the hiccups (what's the point of having two showers if you can only use one at a time?) and -1.5 for Eddie.

Despite the three-star rating, the Isla Grand would still be the first place I'd stay at in South Padre Island for Spring Break. They're sitting on the prime location in South Padre and they probably know it, which might explain the less than ideal service.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends