All reviewspools and hot tubsspring breaktwo bedroom condotop floorislandbeachwalkwaygulf
Reviewed 26 March 2006

I just got back from the Royale Tennis and Beach Club in South Padre and was fairly satisfied with the resort. My husband, myself and my 2 young nieces stayed there and was pretty happy with the resort. Even though it was spring break, I felt safe. The resort is a gated community. They have 3 nice pools and 4 tennis courts. Our room was just average. It smelled a little musty but I doubt you can get away from this no matter where you stay on the island. The living room furniture seemed new but the refrigerator was very rusty on the outside. The rooms were clean and seemed painted recently but the curtains needed to be cleaned. I think they don't do the "detail" cleaning so well. We rented someone's timeshare and felt that we got a good bargain for the money.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank yvonnepi
Reviewed 11 March 2006

I just came back from spring break at the Saida/Royale complex and wanted to leave some helpful hints that I did not know beforehand. First, the Saida and the Royale are different places. They share the same grounds, pool, tennis courts, etc. However, the Royale is more like a hotel, with a front desk, housekeeping, and such services. The Saida has condos that are privately owned by individuals. If you stay there, you are staying in someone else's condo, but there is no front desk (the only one is about 2 miles down the road where you pick up your keys). The benefit to this, however, is the condo is fully stocked with dishes, silverware, cleaning supplies, etc. I stayed in a 3 br/2 bath condo at the Saida for spring break with 10 friends.

This condo was fantastic. The grounds have so much security guarding all entrances into the complex. Its a gated condo which was definitely a plus for us. I visited some of the other hotels on the island and this was easily the best place to stay and the safest. The pools (3 pools and 4 hot tubs) and grounds are beautiful. The rooms are very clean, and I know that ours was pretty new looking, although I do not know if all rooms were this way. The beach is nothing special, but I found none of the beaches on the island to be that wonderful. It was slightly annoying not having a front desk, especially if you have any issues with your room, but taxis on the island are $2 anywhere you go, so you can easily hop a cab to the rental place where you get your key to clear anything up. I saw some negative reviews and was concerned going in, but was extremely impressed by the complex. For what it is worth, I'm extremely critical and picky when it comes to where I stay and not some drunkard college spring breaker.

A special note to people booking through travel agents online. We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo and was told it could sleep 10 people and we could stretch it to 12. We were 11 people. However, no 3 bedroom condo has more than a king, queen, and 2 twin beds, plus a pullout sofa. This is what we had, which only really sleeps 8 comfortably. This was a mistake with our travel company and not the condo. We went with leisuretours (also called springbreakdiscounts or studentcity) and this was the first of many lies they told us. This was the cheapest company we found, but be careful about what they tell you. They will tell you anything to get more money out of you and their staff was very unpleasant on the island. They sold us a $60 dollar party package that was suppposed to be included in our trip that got us free cover into night clubs that didnt charge covers. Really the only bad part of the trip was the company we booked through.

My recommendations about the island is to stay in one of these condos. We had a washer and dryer in our room, an oceanview balcony, a large living room, a large kitchen fully stocked with plates, silverware, microwave, etc. Although it would have been nicer to have someone make our beds and clean up everyday, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Recommendations on the island: Go to amberjacks for dinner at sunset. Its great food and a beautiful view of the sun setting over the bay. Go to dirty al's for some of the best shrimp you've ever had. Go to Tequila Frog's and Louie's Backyard for nightclubs. They are always hopping and are both indoor/outdoor clubs. Do not go to Chaos...it was the worst club I have ever been to. Other than that, be friendly to the locals on the island. They are extremely nice and will treat you very well if you show them consideration and respect.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip wherever you stay.

• Stayed: March 2006
34  Thank littleike0
Reviewed 12 January 2006

My parents and I stayed at the Royale the week before Christmas after going on a cruise. What a horrible place to which I will never return.It started the first full day we were there when we found out after a day of shopping that the room right next to us was being remodeled. They were using a jackhammer to remove the floor tiles! I complained to the "desk manager" who said it was throughout the building and there was nothing she could do. I asked why they would put us in the room RIGHT NEXT DOOR and she said she didn't know when the construction would begin. I asked to speak to the manager but she was away and when I asked that she contact me I could have saved my breath! I never heard from her. I then went to the construction workers and told them to stop. They asked for 10 more minutes which I gave them.
My parents and I left the place early and returned to my house for Christmas. When we went out to go after Christmas shopping my mother discovered her credit card was missing. She had mentioned a few times in Padre that she thought she was missing $20 bills from her wallet. When she called her credit card company it turns out the card was stolen and being used around Padre and Brownsville.
After contacting the Royale who said "sorry, that doesn't happen here" we were able to trace everything back to the construction workers. It turns out the were given a "Master Key"! They could go in any room in the place!
We contacted the Royale again where we were given the brush off. The same construction workers are still working there!
If you do stay at this horrible place all I can say is do not leave ANYTHING in your room!

• Stayed: December 2005
27  Thank tigger192
Reviewed 8 February 2005

The Royale Beach Club was an awesome place to stay at the island, especially during spring break. Although the property is primarily a condo complex, it is for sure on the higher-end quality and service wise. One other thing that made this a great condo is that they also had a "front desk" in the lobby which made things super convenient...most other condo properties do not offer an on-site office or front desk. Here's a booking tip that will save you money...if you book direct with the Royale, the rates can be as high as $500 per night, but I found a great deal through a travel agent/tour operator called Leisure Tours and they hooked us up with a great rate plus other stuff like free meals and parties at the clubs!

22  Thank collegeboy
Reviewed 15 January 2005

We stayed at the Royale the first week in January. They grounds were well kept and the staff that we dealt with were very friendly. We exchanged a week from our timeshare which is a four star resort. While the Royale cannot compete with our home resort as far as furnishings and such the views, weather and location make up for it! We used the timeshare as a base to rest and change clothes:-) We went deep sea fishing on the Osprey and had a GREAT time. The captain (Rudy) and first mate (Isaiah) were excellent. The boat was clean and the fish were yummy. We would definately do that again. Went golfing one day, checked out the Turtle Lady, Inc. (which was well worth the $3.00 donation), walked on the beach, went to Mexico (it was an experience to go and I'm glad we did, but we wouldn't go again, we love the USA) and attended the "Polar Dip" on New Year's Day. Coming from Minnesota where you cut a hole in the ice for a Polar Dip this was a unique experience. We will be back some day. The only suggestion we would make is if you are fussy about you pillow bring one from home. The pillows left a lot to be desired. But...we survived it and had a great time.

17  Thank Sightseer12969