All reviewspools and hot tubsspring breaktwo bedroom condotop floorislandbeachwalkwaygulf
Reviewed 17 November 2006

Our stay at the Royale condo, Oct 28- Nov 12, was the best vacation my wife and I have ever experienced.

We have travelled and stayed at condos in British Columbia, Germany, Austria and several places in the US from Texas to New Hampshire.

I would highly reccommend the Royale during this time of year.

Good Luck!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank peppertrout
Reviewed 22 October 2006

My family stayed at the Royale hotel (not the condo part) recent. I can't speak about the condo part, which seem to get pretty positive reviews. But we thought the hotel room was disgusting, as well as uncomfortable.

The sheets and towels had yellow stains on them. I think they use beige towels to try to hide some of the stains, but it could only hide so much. The floor was tile with dark grout, and the grout was stained all over the place. The shower was dirty. The furniture was old and dirty. The bed was as hard as a rock, and the only 2 pillows they provided were both flat as a pancake.

We stayed over the first night because we were simply too tired to go look for someplace else to stay. But we checked out the next morning and went to another hotel nearby for the rest of our trip. I can't believe they have the nerve to charge as much as they do for this dump of a hotel. The funny thing is, we went to another hotel that was much cheaper, yet it was much cleaner and much more comfortable. My family will NEVER return to the Royale hotel again, and I warn everyone else to stay away. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
8  Thank JoeSmoe25
Reviewed 6 September 2006

Our condo was nice and fairly clean. It is an older condo so the walls needed to be repainted. The furniture looked new and was in good condition except for the bar stools. We had a washer and dryer in the unit which was very nice. The view from our balcony was great. The pools were very nice too. The large pool is 4 feet all over and it is great for kids. The other 2 smaller pools are deeper (8 Ft). We have small children and the balcony did scare me. I felt like the rails needed to be closer together. Also the door going out to the balcony did not have a lock at the top of the door so my children were able to unlock the door and go out whenever they wanted. I would stay there again however I may try to get a ground level condo.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank friends19
Reviewed 26 March 2006

I just got back from the Royale Tennis and Beach Club in South Padre and was fairly satisfied with the resort. My husband, myself and my 2 young nieces stayed there and was pretty happy with the resort. Even though it was spring break, I felt safe. The resort is a gated community. They have 3 nice pools and 4 tennis courts. Our room was just average. It smelled a little musty but I doubt you can get away from this no matter where you stay on the island. The living room furniture seemed new but the refrigerator was very rusty on the outside. The rooms were clean and seemed painted recently but the curtains needed to be cleaned. I think they don't do the "detail" cleaning so well. We rented someone's timeshare and felt that we got a good bargain for the money.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank yvonnepi
Reviewed 11 March 2006

I just came back from spring break at the Saida/Royale complex and wanted to leave some helpful hints that I did not know beforehand. First, the Saida and the Royale are different places. They share the same grounds, pool, tennis courts, etc. However, the Royale is more like a hotel, with a front desk, housekeeping, and such services. The Saida has condos that are privately owned by individuals. If you stay there, you are staying in someone else's condo, but there is no front desk (the only one is about 2 miles down the road where you pick up your keys). The benefit to this, however, is the condo is fully stocked with dishes, silverware, cleaning supplies, etc. I stayed in a 3 br/2 bath condo at the Saida for spring break with 10 friends.

This condo was fantastic. The grounds have so much security guarding all entrances into the complex. Its a gated condo which was definitely a plus for us. I visited some of the other hotels on the island and this was easily the best place to stay and the safest. The pools (3 pools and 4 hot tubs) and grounds are beautiful. The rooms are very clean, and I know that ours was pretty new looking, although I do not know if all rooms were this way. The beach is nothing special, but I found none of the beaches on the island to be that wonderful. It was slightly annoying not having a front desk, especially if you have any issues with your room, but taxis on the island are $2 anywhere you go, so you can easily hop a cab to the rental place where you get your key to clear anything up. I saw some negative reviews and was concerned going in, but was extremely impressed by the complex. For what it is worth, I'm extremely critical and picky when it comes to where I stay and not some drunkard college spring breaker.

A special note to people booking through travel agents online. We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo and was told it could sleep 10 people and we could stretch it to 12. We were 11 people. However, no 3 bedroom condo has more than a king, queen, and 2 twin beds, plus a pullout sofa. This is what we had, which only really sleeps 8 comfortably. This was a mistake with our travel company and not the condo. We went with leisuretours (also called springbreakdiscounts or studentcity) and this was the first of many lies they told us. This was the cheapest company we found, but be careful about what they tell you. They will tell you anything to get more money out of you and their staff was very unpleasant on the island. They sold us a $60 dollar party package that was suppposed to be included in our trip that got us free cover into night clubs that didnt charge covers. Really the only bad part of the trip was the company we booked through.

My recommendations about the island is to stay in one of these condos. We had a washer and dryer in our room, an oceanview balcony, a large living room, a large kitchen fully stocked with plates, silverware, microwave, etc. Although it would have been nicer to have someone make our beds and clean up everyday, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Recommendations on the island: Go to amberjacks for dinner at sunset. Its great food and a beautiful view of the sun setting over the bay. Go to dirty al's for some of the best shrimp you've ever had. Go to Tequila Frog's and Louie's Backyard for nightclubs. They are always hopping and are both indoor/outdoor clubs. Do not go to Chaos...it was the worst club I have ever been to. Other than that, be friendly to the locals on the island. They are extremely nice and will treat you very well if you show them consideration and respect.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip wherever you stay.

• Stayed: March 2006